Which Tour Had The Greatest Streets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:
Lovetown. Specifically, the 26 December 1989 performance with the Resolution And Independence intro.

I don't know how U2 are meant to top that one.

:up::up::up:

Dusty Bottoms said:

Vertigo better than Elevation?

Now I know you have an unnatural hate for the elevation Tour.

:yes: Elevation tour had some wonderful moments, and Streets was one of them.

Dusty Bottoms said:

Vertigo better than Elevation?

Now I know you have an unnatural hate for the elevation Tour.

Sorry if I think the Elevation Tour was (with few exceptions, like Gone) U2's low point live. I suppose that is "unnatural," if that even means anything.

:shrug:

phillyfan26 said:

Sorry if I think the Elevation Tour was (with few exceptions, like Gone) U2's low point live. I suppose that is "unnatural," if that even means anything.

:shrug:

I agree, Elevation tour wasnt much intressting.

Psssh, I loved the Elevation tour, of course the 90's were fun but I liked the stripped down performances, and some excellent setlists featuring all their albums, something Vertigo lacked.

There is no contest, I guess.
"Streets" was the opening track of the 1987 album – and it was the perfect song to open (most of) the gigs of 'The Joshua Tree' Tour. The red screens, the long organ intro, the shimmering eternal guitar notes, the building up of the sound, then lights on – and there we go. As an example just watch the Rattle And Hum ersion from Tempe's desert shows.
These images were kind of copied during the 'Lovetown' shows, which were a musically re-structured appendix to the 1987 shows. Therefore you find also some awesome performances of the tune, that didn't have to be necessarily the opening track now.
ZOO TV was fine, because it played with these classic icons from the 80ies period: with the tune becoming part of a Joshua Tree part of the show – from the explosions of "Bullet The Blue Sky", through the reflections of "Running To Stand Still" with the beautiful helicopter link to "Streets", "Found" and "WOWY".
'POPmart' tried to give it new images (time warp on screen), new beats, new sounds – an excellent version, but far from the sounds of the deserts this tune originally promised. That's why I wouldn't rank it #1 then.
'Elevation' had some really outstanding versions – with the band returning to the 'old' spirit of the tune, giving everything. Just listen to the last version in 2001 in Miami, and you know, what I mean.
And on 'Vertigo' the song wasn't the same for me, sorry. Too much overweight with political messages, repetitive, being part of a staple Greatest Hits section. So, next tour – please back to your old grandezza, please!

Last edited:
DevilsShoes said:
Wow that was quick Axver, I was about to log off :wink:

Ha, I didn't even notice how quick I was! Seems I loaded EYKIW at exactly the right time, heh.

Well, if I were to rank different versions of Streets:

1. Lovetown
2. JT Tour (only marginally behind Lovetown)
3. ZooTV (because of the amazing segue)
4. Elevation
5. Vertigo (would have been equal with Elevation if it weren't for the horrible setlist placement)
6. Popmart (Bono's vocals + poor modifications = can't be saved by segue out of Please)

Axver said:

6. Popmart (Bono's vocals + poor modifications = can't be saved by segue out of Please)

:shocked: Those are the elements that make me love it so. Each their own I guess, considering we're of the complete opposite opinion on this one.

Alright here's something easy to follow. Streets is a song that in performance live relies heavily on Bono's vocals. Elevation Tour was his worst vocal performance overall, although Popmart's could be described as more eratic, Elevation was consistently poor. So, the worst performances were those on Elevation.

phillyfan26 said:
Alright here's something easy to follow. Streets is a song that in performance live relies heavily on Bono's vocals. Elevation Tour was his worst vocal performance overall, although Popmart's could be described as more eratic, Elevation was consistently poor. So, the worst performances were those on Elevation.

See, while I agree with you re: Elevation vocals vs Popmart vocals, I think the way Streets was reinvented musically on Popmart is enough that it falls behind the Elevation performances overall.

I just don't see how what was added on Popmart benefited the song at all.

Fortunately, when you try to compare what's bad about a couple versions, you can just turn on Lovetown and all problems are solved!

phillyfan26 said:
Fortunately, when you try to compare what's bad about a couple versions, you can just turn on Lovetown and all problems are solved!

:lol: Best post on the thread! The Dublin 1989 performances own so much.

... his voice to me was like a stream
Scarce heard, nor word from word could I divide
And the whole body of the man did seem
Like one whom I had met in a dream
Sam Beckett dreamt of other roads
Sam Beckett dreamt of other lands
Of another home, of another home
Where the streets have no name
Take me, Take me!

:drool:

Axver said:

:lol: Best post on the thread! The Dublin 1989 performances own so much.

... his voice to me was like a stream
Scarce heard, nor word from word could I divide
And the whole body of the man did seem
Like one whom I had met in a dream
Sam Beckett dreamt of other roads
Sam Beckett dreamt of other lands
Of another home, of another home
Where the streets have no name
Take me, Take me!

:drool:

My personal preference is On The Road :drool:

For me, watching them segue from All I Want is You into Streets on the Slane DVD, with Bono running around the stage, is probably my favourite live moment. Just absolutely incredible. :love: :heart: :love: :heart:

The actual performances on Vertigo I thought were fine, it was just that Bono wrecked the intro by talking over it. PLEASE. You can't talk over it.

Please was an awesome segue into Streets during PopMart. Bad/40/Psalm 113/Streets during Elevation was also really good.

I also like the version from Dublin on New Year's Eve 1989. That was awesome the way Bono counted down the new year, sang Auld Lang Syne, then said something like "start off the new year with Where the Streets Have No Name." I love listening to that version.

JT or Lovetown, you're classic pick'em. Nothing else is close...and Popmart is by far the worst, between that jittery organ in the intro to the outtro/reprise whatever it was. Just a low point for Streets...amazing really considering how great Please is.

Popmart # 1 for me.

The RTSS/Streets on ZooTV was greatness, and I love just that first minute as Streets is kicking in on the Boston Elevation DVD. It's shot really, really well.

Popmart, great ending and ofcourse the please into streets transition was perfect.

Vertigo i didnt like so much, no lightburst in the beginning etc, nah the only thing i liked was how bono and adam were getting back to back with eachother thats it.

The elevation one is very good as well.

B-man rocking the Wordsworth.

williamwordsworthprojeclx6.jpg

I really liked the Elevation versions with Bono sprinting around the heart and then stopping just as the house lights exploded to light up the arena.

I agree with Axver in that Popmart was a really poor version of Streets. Even though I love the Pop album Streets just became too techno-ish and soulless and sounded too much like dance music, which I despise. Dont get me wrong Please and the segue from it were both amazing but Streets itself was really poor with that techno crap added to it.

I guess it's because Streets is my favourite ever song and it felt to me almost like heresy when they made it techno.

Hmmm... I really like the Popmart version actually. I loved the Please segue into it (I'm obsessed with awesome segues), and I also loved hey the outtros were always so cool. Like the ones from Rotterdam and Mexico city. So cool.

I can't say which tour consistently had the best bersion, but pretty much my favorite performance I've ever seen by FAR was from the Slane castle DVD. Loved everything about it. It's incredible IMO.

So because of that I choose Elevation.

Back
Top Bottom