Which Song Would You Axe From A Best Of -- 'Please' (Live) Or 'All I Want Is You'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
This is very tough!! I'm making a best of, and the idea was to have at least one song (Live or studio) from each album. I'm of course limited to an 80 minute CD. Here's my choices so far. Maybe you can help me out with it?

1. Gloria (Live)
2. Pride
3. October
4. Sunday Bloody Sunday (Live)
5. Running To Stand Still
6. Miss Sarajevo
7. Bad (Live)
*All I Want Is You*???
8. Streets
9. I Still Haven't Found
10. Angel Of Harlem
11. One
12. With Or Without You (Live)
13. Stay (Live)
14. *Please (Live)*??
15. A Sort Of Homecoming (Live)
16. Walk On

You see, if you only compare the two songs, I prefer 'All I Want', but it's more complicated than that. 'Please' is thematically extremely important to tie the album together, and it goes beautifully with 'A Sort of Homecoming' (I'm thinking of the MTV version of 'Please'). The Rotterdam version would have to have the live version of 'Streets' right after (trust me on this one).

So herein lies my dilema: which song should I axe? 'All I Want' is just too beautiful to axe, isn't it? I could get rid of 'Angel of Harlem' but that's only three and a half minutes long, so I still wouldn't have enough room on the CD. I could get rid of 'A Sort Of Homecoming' but that just goes too well after 'Please' and extremely well before 'Walk On'. Oh, the pain...

------------------
The Tempest

[This message has been edited by Michael Griffiths (edited 11-07-2001).]

I know its hard but you have to get rid of All I want is you. You must opt for theme and through-line. Very important. Mixes require this and they also require a little sacrafice. So stick w/ "Please"

Nothing from BOY???

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

I personally prefer Please, and it fits thematically.. so my vote would go to axing AIWIY.

Which version of Stay are you using btw?

This would be hard, but I'll go with Please live.
smile.gif

------------------
Fan named Matt (as a fellow fan prepares to take a picture of him with Larry): "You know Larry, I'm a drummer in a band too."

Larry (looks at fan and shrugs, smiling pleasantly toward the camera): "Well, Matt, we all have our problems."

~*April*~

(AIM-POPLemonGirl)

Tackleberry,

I do agree that the theme is very important. It just huts so... By the way, I do concur with you about Boy. I've made another mix that includes a couple tracks of Boy, so I decided to inlclude some live cuts from other eras on this new CD. I do believe 'Out of Control' ranks up there with the bands best work, but on an 80 minute CD, it's amazing how much amazing work also needs to be included. It's always such torture!

Skeek: I think I'll use the new Toronto version of 'Stay', although I'm seriously considering using the ZooEuropa version from Dublin, '93. Ah, help me out on this one too!

------------------
The Tempest

Wow that is a hard decision.

I actually prefer the song All I want is you.. but for your disk I would keep Please.

I'd also like to say I like seeing Angel of Harlem up there. I love that song.

------------------
Zooming In
Zooming Out
Nothing I Can't Do Without

I am going to have to jump on the Please bandwagon, which unfortunately means axing All I Want is You.

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

Buh-Bye 'All I Want Is You' and hellooooo 'Please'!!! Hands down, my friend and I do love both songs.

Oh, and you absolutely MUST keep 'Angel of Harlem'!! That songs rocks!!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"It's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight..."

I say go with the Toronto version! conveys the feeling of the song better with the stripped down accompaniment i think. The only trouble with the Stay from Toronto is the talking from the beginning, but you could get rid of that with a sound editing program

Tackleberry,

I've decided to go with the Rattle and Hum version of WOWY. There are better sounding versions out there, but the anguish in Bono's voice, and his slightly forced falsetto convey the meaning of the song beautifully.

I think I'll use the Toronto (Elevation) version of 'Stay', although Edge sounds just as amazing in a totally different way on ZooEuropa.

I do like that 2 CD idea, but wouldn't it be incredible to get all of this onto on disc?

------------------
The Tempest

Okay, I've made my decision in regards to 'Please'. I'm going to axe 'All I Wan't is You'. My God, that was tough to write. It's a song that, quite possibly, has Bono's most beautiful line EVER: "...A Harbour In The Tempest..." (Hence, my signature). But, alas, somethings must be done....

------------------
The Tempest

Be strong, Michael. You made the right decision.

------------------
Remember the goul.

Shake n' bake
Do whatever it takes

i wouldnt axe any of the two... they both should make the cut to any u2 compilation
if you insist: axe all i want is you

------------------
~stadtmueller

This isnt even a question!!!!! ALL I WANT IS YOU! You cant have an album without that great guitar solo. Not to mention the whole ending.....its great. I never really liked please, I do think it is a good live song just not as good as ALL I WANT IS YOU!

Personally, I'd axe Pride & Angel or Pride & Still Haven't Found before approaching either AIWIY or Please.

However, between the two, you've made the right call...axe AIWIY and keep Please. You need "Pop" representation and you already have Angel in there for Rattle 'n Hum.

Hey Michael,

Why don?t you use the Irving Plaza version of All I Want is You, instead of the original one? It?s outstanding! And shorter, maybe you won?t have to axe anything.

As for Stay I would go with San Jose nite 2, the first time they played it in US, if you can find a good quality file.

Good to see you back
wink.gif

------------------
Seu pa?s ? lindo. Seu povo ? lindo. Suas vozes s?o lindas. N?o esqueceremos voc?s. - Bono - S?o Paulo - 01/31/1998

follower.. have you heard Stay live from Toronto? it's mighty swell!

well, i've never carried for please (even if it is live) so i'd keep AIWIY.

------------------
"You can download an atmosphere and dial up a groove, but there's a certain magic when three musicians and a dyslexic get together and play in a room." -Bono

Love,
Emily

The city's desire to take me for more and more...

Originally posted by SkeeK:
follower.. have you heard Stay live from Toronto? it's mighty swell!

Actually I haven?t SkeeK. But if you say so, I believe in you
wink.gif

I also like the version from the movie soundtrack Faraway So Close, you can find it at www.u2station.com.

------------------
Seu pa?s ? lindo. Seu povo ? lindo. Suas vozes s?o lindas. N?o esqueceremos voc?s. - Bono - S?o Paulo - 01/31/1998

I guess I am too late to help you out Michael, but dilemma you have is enough to make a man loose his hair (or eyebrows, in case you already lost your hair!).

What ever you decide to do, the song you cut will come back and haunt you to your grave. Basically, you are in a lose-lose situation. The remedy? You have to make another disc!
wink.gif

------------------
"I know that this is not goodbye." -Kite

[This message has been edited by Roland of Gilead (edited 11-08-2001).]

Originally posted by Roland of Gilead:
What ever you decide to do, the song you cut will come back and haunt you to your grave. Basically, you are in a lose-lose situation. The remedy? You have to make another disc!
wink.gif

Yes, Roland, I know. Or, in this case, the song will haunt me "from the cradle to the grave." Yes, I think AIWIY is getting the axe, despite having the greatest guitar solo in any U2 song, EVER (well, quite possibly anyway
wink.gif
), and having Bono's greatest lyric ("a harbour in the tempest"). Oh, the shame...

------------------
The Tempest

The live version of All i want is you is a bit shorter than the studio version, likewise the studio versions of please are both shorter than the live rendition- im sure you can work them both into the set somehow if u juggle it around
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom