Which song or not will be dedicated to Stuart Adamson?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wowy23

The Fly
The reason I bring up Stuart Adamson, the ex-lead singer and founder of Big Country, is because the 2004 Tour is upon us and I'm more than sure U2 will dedicate a song to him. Here's an excerpt from the Guardian UK News:

"Born in Manchester, [Stuart] Adamson grew up in Crossgates near Dunfermline, Fife, and formed the punk group The Skids in the 1970s. After leaving the band he formed Big Country, who had a string of hits in the 1980s including Fields of Fire and In a Big Country.

The band were once touted as contenders with U2 for the "Celtic Rock" crown before the Irish band achieved stratospheric stardom."

The Edge did say something to the effect that he was lucky enough to have known Stuart as a person. My guess is that "Grace" will be dedicated to Stuart. Any guesses/comments?

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right." Henry Ford

Last edited:
Well I have no idea, but I can almost guarantee you that they won't play Grace.

Axver said:
Well I have no idea, but I can almost guarantee you that they won't play Grace.

The reason I said "Grace" was because I was thinking melancholy and not so much the words in "Grace". Since Grace is about a girl and not a guy, I would say you are probably right! I goofed again.

i think Grace is a bit more than 'about a girl'. Stuart Adamson is a loss though. Big Country at Salford Uni still rates as my favourite gig of all time.

Tizer said:
i think Grace is a bit more than 'about a girl'. Stuart Adamson is a loss though. Big Country at Salford Uni still rates as my favourite gig of all time.

Firstly, I shouldn't have wrote that they will play "Grace" in Stuart's honor; that's a big mistake seemily because the heart & soul of the song has nothing to do with Stuart.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe "Grace" is about either incest or rape. The girl becomes pregant but decides to keep the baby through it all "Because grace makes beauty, Out of ugly things" and "Grace finds goodness In everything".

He died back in Dec of 2001.. Seems kind of a while ago. Do you think they'd dedicate a song to him like 2 years since his death?

Wowy23 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe "Grace" is about either incest or rape. The girl becomes pregant but decides to keep the baby through it all "Because grace makes beauty, Out of ugly things" and "Grace finds goodness In everything".

WTF? I think you've been watching too much Law and Order: SVU....."Grace" is simply about grace. I know Bono's lyrics can mean a lot of different things, but I'm going to have to totally disagree with you there. I doubt "Grace" is about incest or rape. Another possibility that a few people have asked me about is whether or not "Grace" refers to the women named Grace who works and sings at the AIDS clinic in Africa that Bono visits. I don't think it is, but that would be cool if it were.

I've never heard that interpretation ... it's an interesting one, though I don't think it's accurate. Personally I favour the spiritual interpretation, that it's about God's grace. Didn't someone here actually do a review of it or something?

Tizer,

"Big Country at Salford Uni still rates as my favourite gig of all time."

Do you have a copy of this show? Where did you get it? Would you like to set up a trade? If its as good as you say it is, I definitely want it. I have the New Years Shows from 1983 and 1993 plus the FINAL FLING. Great shows. You probably have them too.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

WTF? I think you've been watching too much Law and Order: SVU....."Grace" is simply about grace. I know Bono's lyrics can mean a lot of different things, but I'm going to have to totally disagree with you there. I doubt "Grace" is about incest or rape. Another possibility that a few people have asked me about is whether or not "Grace" refers to the women named Grace who works and sings at the AIDS clinic in Africa that Bono visits. I don't think it is, but that would be cool if it were.

I do watch Law and Order: SVU alot...how did you know? Anyway it would be great if "Grace" was dedicated to the "women named Grace who works and sings at the AIDS clinic in Africa that Bono visits". Thanks for the insight.

Wowy23 said:
I do watch Law and Order: SVU alot...how did you know? Anyway it would be great if "Grace" was dedicated to the "women named Grace who works and sings at the AIDS clinic in Africa that Bono visits". Thanks for the insight.

LOL, it is my favorite show! Though I too think it would be neat if "Grace" really was written about Grace in Africa, I still believe it refers to the idea od God's common grace.

Back
Top Bottom