Which "Single Version" or "New Mix" most improves upon original?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoodlem

War Child
So which album version of a song is most improved in its Single or New mix?

I would have to say "Please" wins this contest. Honorable menbtion goes to "Walk On" and IGWSHA.

Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, Walk On, Please, and If God Will Send His Angels. The Mike Hedges mixes are horrendous, except maybe Gone

Everything from POP - single versions and new mixes - they all improve on the originals. To enumerate:

Last Night On Earth
If God Will Send His Angels
Please
Discotheque
Staring At The Sun
Gone

Cheers,

J

jick said:
Everything from POP - single versions and new mixes - they all improve on the originals. To enumerate:

Last Night On Earth
If God Will Send His Angels
Please
Discotheque
Staring At The Sun
Gone

Cheers,

J

no way those are all worse than the originals except perhaps Gone (which is indeed very good also in the album version)...especially SATS and Discotheque: much much better in the album version than in the best of

To me great improvements over the originals came from Walk On (with Nigel Goodrich on production) and Stuck in a Moment (which becomes a great song in the acoustic version while in the album version looks like U2 trying to do the Back Street Boys: U2 at their worst :down: )

Last edited:
The Fly Lounge Mix
New Year's Day, I like the mix with the extra chorus, too.
Gone -- I love the album version, but I also really like the new mix on the Best Of CD, so on this one I can't decide.

Just wondering

Wasn't the Fly Lounge Mix a version recorded BEFORE the album came out?

(I know it was recorded for a clockwork orange, but I'm not sure if it was before or after the official AB release)

Ellay said:
Just wondering

Wasn't the Fly Lounge Mix a version recorded BEFORE the album came out?

(I know it was recorded for a clockwork orange, but I'm not sure if it was before or after the official AB release)

No, The Lounge Fly Mix was just a remix of The Fly and was released first on The Fly single. So yes, it was recorded before the album came out, but at the same time as The Fly was recorded.
It also wasn't recorded for A Clockwork Orange. Only the track Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk/Korova 1 was originally recorded for the A Clockwork Orange play and that's still the only track from that 'soundtrack' that has been released.

C ya!

Marty

Dima said:

no way those are all worse than the originals except perhaps Gone (which is indeed very good also in the album version)...especially SATS and Discotheque: much much better in the album version than in the best of

No way in your book perhaps. But in my book and U2's book those are the better versions which represents U2's "best" from that era. Of course opinions differ but I just happen to have the same opinion as U2.

Cheers,

J

The new mix of Staring at the Sun may be the worst thing that U2 has ever released. I can't even listen to it.

The new mix of Gone is great though.

I would have put the new mix of Gone as one of the best "re-dos" but for the fact that the original was already amazing. The new mix also leaves out some key elements of the original (the squealing guitar sound during the chorus). Overall, they are both great. The original is just a bit more atmospheric and the new mix is more rocking. Depends on what mood I am in really.

LWSH (Extended Dance Mix)
Dirty Day (Junk Day Mix)

Conversely, all the "new mixes" (esp those from Pop) on Best Of are absolutely atrocious :yikes: especially Gone which was completely f***ed up.

Please.

Walk on. (though I still like the album version)

The mixes of Gone/Discotheque on the Best of.

Perhaps Gone, while I do agree that the original is great too. But I admit that having Edge on backing vocals during the chorus is a huge advantage.

Please was a pretty big improvement too, with the added guitar towards the end and all.

Dima said:

To me great improvements over the originals came from Walk On (with Nigel Goodrich on production) and Stuck in a Moment (which becomes a great song in the acoustic version while in the album version looks like U2 trying to do the Back Street Boys: U2 at their worst :down: )

Agreed. Stuck sucks. Totally kills the flow of not only the album but during their shows.

Gone [new mix] - I think I am blown away by the fact that this was already a great track on Pop as is. This new mix is a monster I can't live without.

Elevation [Influx mix] - To me, this IS the best. I remixed All That... with this as the opening song leading into Beautiful Day. Just like the tour setlist!

Stuck [acoustic version] - Not the biggest fan of the song, but this bare bones version is the only one I'll listen to. (again, I added this to my remixed version of All That... and took out the original.)

Please [single version] - This was the best one from the Pop singles. Even Last Night... is great as a single version.

Whose Gonna Ride... [Temple Bar Remix] - Really love this version!

Back
Top Bottom