Which Pop Song Worked Best Live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DevilsShoes

War Child
I think it has to be Please for me, just for for the way it developed from being quite a small-scale one dimensional peice in the studio to something far more emotional and epic on stage. I really enjoyed the way they reworked into something far more dramatic and daring.

It became my favourite song of the tour and a great performance could often steal the show. Loved Larry's Sunday Bloody Sunday style drumming during the 'September, streets capsizing' refrain then Edges solo with all those frenetic images on the giant screen piling on top of each other and finally Bono's haunting falsetto's infont of that blood red backdrop, plus of course the excellent transistion into Streets, my all time favourite.

So I pick please, but Mofo and Gone were pretty great too.
What do you think?

Hard to say, since most of them kick some serious ass live. Last Night on Earth, Gone and Please are the stand-outs.

Mofo could have more of a punch to it... Please seemed to drone on and on... Gone really worked but it was too much of a serious song for people to really get into. Discotheque was decent, but the 2005 reworked version in Chicago is totally what it should have been...

Mofo could have more of a punch to it... Please seemed to drone on and on... Gone really worked but it was too much of a serious song for people to really get into. Discotheque was decent, but the 2005 reworked version in Chicago is totally what it should have been...

Sooooo .... in other words, none of them?

;)

As much as Pop is my favorite album and I defend it as being an incredibly underrated album, I don't see what the fuss is over MoFo. I always skip that track. So live it didn't change anything for me.

Yes, Miami did come to life live, but I love it as a studio track too. A VERY underrated song.

I'd say Gone and Please. Though I wish they'd do full version of Velvet Dress and Wake Up Dead Man. I think that could really work.

Gone and Please, for sure. Mofo is awesome, yea, but it's more of a "Hey look at us!" song than anything else.

And while it's really only a snippet, I've always LOVED the slow-burn Velvet Dress live.

As much as Pop is my favorite album and I defend it as being an incredibly underrated album, I don't see what the fuss is over MoFo. I always skip that track. So live it didn't change anything for me.

Yes, Miami did come to life live, but I love it as a studio track too. A VERY underrated song.

I'd say Gone and Please. Though I wish they'd do full version of Velvet Dress and Wake Up Dead Man. I think that could really work.

I agree with this post, especially the part about Mofo. I only disagree about Miami, because I still find the song annoying, live and on album.

Besides the song mentioned, I also liked the accoustic version of Staring At The Sun.

MoooOOOOOOOOFOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...was the best. Please was very good live, but I have a certain attachment to the album version. Gone was just alright on the Popmart tour (much improved for Elevation and Best Of 1990-2000), while Last Night On Earth were excellent. For the Popmart tour alone, I would have to say the top 3 most improved are:

1. Mofo
2. Last Night On Earth
3. Miami

Back
Top Bottom