Which Pop Song Worked Best Live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mofo, Last Night on Earth and Miami!
Personally I can't stand Please live, I think it's all that wailling at the end. I hate it.

I thought:

-Please
-Discotheque
-Mofo

took a life of their own during the Popmart. You could really feel the energy from those songs. Plus, Larry's drumming during Discotheque was considered illegal in 14 states. :wink:

Please
Mofo
Gone
Last Night On Earth
Staring At The Sun
Discotheque

Gone is only #3 because of the line 'you can keep this suit of lights'. On the album, the phrase 'suit of lights' has a melody - 'suit o-of li-i-i-ights'. Bono has never sung that melody live, it's always just a matter-of-fact, 'suit of lights'. That's the only thing that bothers me about Gone live.

The original studio version of Discotheque is perfect, imo. No live version has come close.

Gone (studio) pwns Gone (live)
Miami (studio) pwns all Miami haters on this forum!

:wink:

Okay, my answer(s) to this thread: Mofo & Please. One was a seriously kickass show opener and the other was sweet foreplay before the climax of Streets!

Discotheque was decent, but the 2005 reworked version in Chicago is totally what it should have been...

Kind of agree with you, I loved the Chicago version, but the guitar soloing during POP was brilliant, and Im glad we didn't miss out on that...

I thought the First verse during the pop tour sounded weak. I honestly believe that the band were deceived by the click track. If you listen to bootlegs with it on, it sounds so much better than those without.

For me, Gone and LNOE were the songs of the tour. Lyrics from each of them were so where I was at that time:

From Gone it was....

You`re taking steps that make you feel dizzy
Then you get to like the way it feels
You hurt yourself you hurt your lover
Then you discover
What you thought was freedom is just greed

And then, from LNOE, the lyric that will always remind me of the madness of the tour :)

She's living, living next week now
You know she's gonna pay it back somehow
She hasn't been to bed in a week
She'll be dead soon, then she'll sleep

:up:

Awesome! :hyper:

Oh God... I can't wait til next year!!!!!

Please and the Chicago 2005 version of Discotheque.

Please really transcended and became the emotional highlight of whatever show it was played.

The Discotheque version of 2005 should have been played more, it was fantastic, energetic, and truly the synthesis of dance and rock that U2 should have been looking for.

"Gone", however, is my favorite track on Pop and I don't think they've matched it both live or on newly recorded versions. The emotional intensity is kind of lost, especially without Edge's high, piercing guitar in the mix.

But can we all come to the agreement that Do You Feel Loved, which is one of my favorite tunes in the U2 canon, absolutely sucked live?

But can we all come to the agreement that Do You Feel Loved, which is one of my favorite tunes in the U2 canon, absolutely sucked live?

As much it sucked live, DYFL, IGWSHA, & Miami were the best songs performed in Vegas, especially musical wise, as Bono's voice went out that night :(

Almost all of those songs improved live, but Please was made into something epic. Goddamn.

Back
Top Bottom