Which ONE song sucked you in???????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Staring at the Sun

------------------
In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry, and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams (The Restaurant at the End of the Universe)

the Joshua Tree sucked me in cus i heard it in when i was quite young and I have no recollection of hearing any u2 songs before that. Though I did fall in love with WOWY and SBS

------------------
And if you look, you look through me.

L'amore giunger
L'amore
E non so pi pregare
E nell'amore non so pi sperare
E quell'amore non so pi aspettare
miss_smith@emailaccount.com e-mail me :)
The perpetually handsome Mullen appears to have stopped ageing around the time of The Joshua Tree.
"It doesn't matter what songs we sing.
I'm a drummer. Chicks dig me." -Larry
Larry likes to play drums." - Bono
"Larry's always been noticed cos he's the pretty one." - Adam
"Bono, if you still haven't found what you're looking for, look behind the drumkit." - Boy George
A man so handsome, he will never be let sing in this group!"
-Bono, introducing Larry at Irving Plaza, NYC 2000

the whole POP era and the business with POPMART dragged me in-only 15 at the time.
i just couldnt believe that u2 had the balls to spend $250,000 a DAY on a world tour.

I already had Achtung Baby and I loved U2, but the song that just got me and took me somewhere else was Zooropa. Yeah i know it's strange, but that song and the whole album was like a religious experience the first time i heard it. I wish i could go back to that day. But what got me to first buy Achtung Baby was Even Better Than the Real Thing on the radio.

------------------
"I swore to my father I'd never do hamster-style again."

"looking for the sound thats gonna drown out the world
looking for the father of my two little girls
got the swing got the sway got my straw in lemonade
looking for the face i had before the world was made." - MOFO

[This message has been edited by Achtung Zooropa (edited 12-23-2001).]

Ok, so, at this point, the U2 song with the most "suction"(i'm sure there is a better way to put it but feck it I am irish and have no understanding of the English language) is..

With or without you

Invisible posts also gets a mention, a surprise contender at this stage
rolleyes.gif

New Year's Day and Sunday Bloody Sunday! WAR sucked me in! Discotheque made me run away screaming and hiding in the forest until I heard Beautiful Day at which time I realized it was safe to return to U2 land!
biggrin.gif

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For...

------------------
*Starry, starry night
Paint your palette blue and gray
Look out on a summer's day
With eyes that know the darkness in my soul*

well, first it was Sunday Bloody Sunday...way back when....then, I have agree with lazyboy here, fast forward 15 years, and I pick up the Pop CD, plug it into my car CD player....and nearly drive off the road over Discotheque and Mofo!!!
eek.gif

Why do you think I picked the name??
smile.gif

disco

Originally posted by lazyboy:
Well? There's gotta be one in particular, which is the U2 song which turned most heads??

For me it was Discotheque.
Dunno, never was bothered by U2 before that, but heard it when it was released, loved it, checked out some reviews of Pop when it came out, looked good, got that, LOVED it!!! And that was me, done and dusted, poverty quickly approaching as a result of my U2 addiction.

Sooooooo, which song ruined your life??
wink.gif

Believe it or not,I guess you'd have to say it was Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me. I had liked U2 way before that, on account of a lot of their songs that i'd heard on the radio, but HMTMKMKM grew on me, and made me check out the band and caused me to become a fan. Also Streets played a major role as well.

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

...a man comes on the radio..and sings..
"......GLORRRRRRRRRRRRRR i A
Glooooorrrrrr iiiiiiiaaaaaaaaa......."
Stopped me in my tracks that fateful day
biggrin.gif

the use of horses in the New Year's Day film clip kinda sealed the deal.They had pinched my idea(minus the snow) but that's OK.

Enjoy your holiday lazyboy.

Originally posted by brettig:
woah, some replies disappeared from this here thread.

I know! I already posted mine before and it's gone...

Anyway - i heard SBS/New Year's day and saw the video for Streets years before, it was enough for me to notice them (the voice and the guitar, i had no idea what the lyrics were about-my English had yet to improve as this was in my elementary school years), but i wasn't a fan yet.

Then, i remember hearing this incredible sound on my brother's stereo. Thrilling, exciting and unlike anything i ever heard. It was Achtung Baby.
Particularly, the song that haunted and addicted me immediately was So cruel. The pian/drums/string combination, the tormented, sad voice (still, all i could understand from the lyrics was the chorus) just got under my skin.

To this day, So cruel remains my favorite U2 song.

------------------
"We feel like this is unfinished business - there's things for us left to do and that's why we still do it." - Larry

"For us, each night on stage has to be like the last night on earth. That's the way our band operates-we can't play the songs unless we're fully into them." - Bono

"The music itself will tell you where to go." - Edge (about recording)

"It's an elevation thing." - Adam (when asked why there's pictures from airport on ATYCLB cover)

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 12-23-2001).]

Still Haven't Found What I am Looking For..first guitar strums echoing right and left...man alive...chills to this day..11 years later...

------------------
Well the God I believe in isn't short of cash..Mister!

all i want is you
my brother used to lay it all the time after he split up from his girlfriend after i heard it i fell in love with u2

------------------
a vampire or a victim it depends on whos around
merry christmas-have a good one!!!!!!!
Dont let the Bastards grind you down

Well, first it was Out of Control.
But then Bad is what really did it.
biggrin.gif

Happy Christmas Interland!

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Streets, no question. The guitar just blew me away, I'd never heard anything like it before!

-Mike

------------------
My U2 Bootleg Archive
*Down until January 21st.* For special requests, or uploads, contact me in the MP3 forum.

The first song which drew my attention at U2 was Pride from Rattle and Hum (I copied it from my brother-in-law?s tape).

After that I bought UABRS on some sort of flea-market and I didn?t like it at first except for Party Girl.

After that I bought AB (my very first CD BTW) and I didn?t like that one either. After that I bought Zooropa (it makes you wonder why I kept on buying U2 stuff even though I didn?t like it). That album convinced me to give AB another listen and THAT?S how I became a fan.

Nice story isn?t it?? The answer to the original question? Don?t know, don?t care...
biggrin.gif

Staring at the Sun.

I heard it on Pacific Coast Highway on a bright, sunny, warm southern California day right after taking my SAT's. I remember the day vividily, the lines about God were what grabbed my attention and then sparked my interest.

Ye couldn't be like....sucked in by the same song?? Hmm....24 songs are guilty of draggin ye lot in, top ones were

Sunday Bloody Sunday 6 shouts

With Or Without You and Where The Streets Have No Name 5 each

New Years Day, Bad, and Staring At The Sun 4 each

Hmm, no ATYCLB'ers, strange. Top ones were pretty predictable, and well, War and JT once again prove to have the biggest impact.

Originally posted by lazyboy:
For me it was Discotheque.
Dunno, never was bothered by U2 before that, but heard it when it was released, loved it, checked out some reviews of Pop when it came out, looked good, got that, LOVED it!!! And that was me, done and dusted, poverty quickly approaching as a result of my U2 addiction.

wow lazyboy that sounds soooo familiar!
biggrin.gif
The only change I would make is that 'Staring at the Sun' confirmed my love for this particular band's sound... also before then I wasn't very musically aware in general (I was 14) and if I were I'm sure U2 would have turned my head earlier on
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Achtung_Bebe (edited 12-27-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom