Which of these songs would work best in a one-voice, one-acoustic guitar format?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which song should I play?

• With or Without You

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sunday Bloody Sunday

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • In a Little While

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • Walk On

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Indian Summer Sky

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Staring at the Sun

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • So Cruel

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • All I Want is You

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • Electrical Storm

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Your Blue Room

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (please post below)

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Don't play at all - you can't do any of these songs justice

Votes: 5 8.8%

• Total voters

DaveC

Blue Crack Addict
I'm going to play in an Open Mic in a few weeks and I want to play a U2 song. I can't decide which of the following songs (if any) would work best on an acoustic guitar. A lot of them are just repeating chords for 3-4 minutes (WOWY) and some just don't seem like they could work without a LOT of rearrangement. And some seem just outright boring on an acoustic from how I can hear it. Anyways, make your pick:

With or Without You
Sunday Bloody Sunday
In A Little While
Walk On
Indian Summer Sky
Staring at the Sun
So Cruel
All I Want is You
Electrical Storm
Your Blue Room

I love to play Stuck in a Moment acoustically. I think it translates well to an acoustic and vocally, I think it works well without any backing vocals.

Good luck, by the way. I have yet to play anything in front of family and a few very close friends.

I voted for In A Little While... because all the other songs sound better in a full band setting, while In A Little While, IMO, is the only song that to me sounded better acoustically

Sunday Bloody Sunday, as Edge's solo Popmart performance was simply gorgeous. Otherwise, acoustic songs tend to bore me.

Sunday Bloody Sunday, agreeing with Axver, Edge has already showed how amazing that song can be done solo acoustic

If you've heard the Omagh tribute version of AIWIY, you wouldn't have much trouble choosing. It sounds great acoustic as I recall.

Sunday Bloody Sunday, All I Want is You loses it's power without the lead lines with it imo but still sounds great acoustic plus tis only two chords :wink: but I'd go Sunday Bloody Sunday

I still haven't heard Ewans cover of Running, I trust he did it well, Party girl as Fu Manchu would be a great song to play

i voted all i want is you because i think the song comes from a similar formula, it's a kind of songwriter song and not exactly a band song, so in an acoustic format it looses the nice extras from the other instruments but not the essence of the song.

angel of harlem would be a good choice also.

good luck

One is simple to play, its just am,dsuss2(i think), f, g, for the verse and, c, am,f,g for the chorus.

i did many times all i want is you with my band together with the guitarist and the drummer on percussions, this song really worked a lot, girls were just staring like hypnotized, if you guess the right arrangement it creates a breezing atmosphere, go with it

I think the Wanderer would translate really well in an acoustic format. Seriously. And you don't need the greatest vocals to pull it off either. Tribute to Cash and U2 at the same time. Most people wouldn't know it. They're really beautiful lyrics.

Do you mean actually acoustic (e.g., "Staring at the Sun") or electric but unaccompanied (e.g., "Sunday, Bloody Sunday")? It matters, you know.

I'd go with "Staring at the Sun." It's proven to sound good acoustic, doesn't take itself half as seriously as the other songs on your list, and is fun to sing.

I also think "She's A Mystery To Me" and "Fast Cars" would sound pretty cool stripped down.

Last edited:
It's not the most well known song, but try Some days are better than others. Works really well acoustically.

Back
Top Bottom