Which of the "3 masterpieces" is the best

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can agree with JT and AB. I have a very very hard time deciding which of the two is better, and I am not a "casual" U2 by any stretch of the imagination :eyebrow:

ATYCLB is a great album, IMHO but not on the same level as the other two.

AB and JT for me -- mostly because both veered off and explored new sounds and territories for me -- though most would probably agree that AB departed farther from their previoius work than JT had at the time.

Bomb and ATYCLB are both great records, but not much of a departure from at least some of where they had already been.

the best: ACHTUNG BABY
i can't understand why the RS magazine rates ATYCLB as their 3rd masterpiece...ATYCLB is not a masterpiece at all

let me reiterate to you, the point is to rank the 3 rolling stone termed masterpieces All that you cant leave behind, Achtung Baby and The Joshua Tree. Bomb, Pop, Unforgettable fire or any of the other albums, although great, are NOT options, please stay on topic and if possible give reasons for your answers
thank you

jacobus said:
the best: ACHTUNG BABY
i can't understand why the RS magazine rates ATYCLB as their 3rd masterpiece...ATYCLB is not a masterpiece at all

Hola amigo :wave:

Same here. I simply don't understand how come some magazine still praise ATYCLB as their 3rd masterpiece :madspit: that's another proof it's by far the most overrated U2 album ever :down:

Without Unforgettable Fire U2 couldn't have released Joshua Tree and the history would have been radically different :ohmy:

zepher25 said:
rolling stone magazine says U2 has 3 master pieces- The Joshua tree, Auchtung Baby and All that you cant leave behind, so which do you think is the best and why, i think All that you cant leave behind followed closely by auchtung baby, simply beacuse on ATYCLB there is not 1 song i hate, i like most on AB and only a few on TJT

Joshua Tree - its the best album ever made by anybody anywhere (in my humble yet utterly misunderstood and rarely agreed with opinion).

Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
and like others who have stated..Pop!

i was never a real fan of ATYCLB....I like about 6 songs but as a collective album its not one of my favorites.

Masterpieces

I would agree on JT and AB they are masterpieces. I would also agree that ATYCLB is the most overated and Zooropa is the most underrated.

I like to think of the 11 (so far) U2 studio albums in 4 sets of trilogies

BOY/OCTOBER/WAR

UF/JT/RAH

AB/Z/P

ATYCLB/HTDAAB/?

we will have to wait and see what their next album comes up with

For me it's AB as the ultimate masterpiece. I just love every single track on it (yes, even TTTYAATW!).

The Joshua Tree seems too top heavy for me. I love the first few tracks but the rest just don't grab me in anyway whatsoever. I could see myself growing to love it though...just pick up the album one day and suddenly it all clicks. That's what happened to me with The Unforgettable Fire anyway.

As for ATYCLB. It's OK. It just feels a bit bland somehow and I don't think that the tracklisting does it any favours either. Upbeat tracks first then the downbeat tracks all in a row. But on a song by song basis ATYCLB stands up a lot better than when it's looked as a whole.

1.AB
The whole album is a genius idea. Not a bad song.

2.Uf
Deserve more attention, the album is much more deeper then JT.

3.HTDAAB
Deserve more attention

4.JT
A realy good album, but again theres still songs that is middle good, Exit, BTBS, RHMT and TTYW. BTBS went much better on ZooTV.

5.Zooropa/R&H
Both very underrated, Zooropa is a little masterpiece in it self. R&H isnt a real album for me, just a live album with some new songs.

6.Pop/ATYCLB
Good albums with some realy good songs and some middle good songs.

7.Boy/October/war
Classics, October is very underrated.

Last edited:
1. AB - amazing in every sense, I listened to this album over the weekend from beginning to the end and I remember the first time listening to this album and how absolutley astounded I was when hearing this masterpiece.

2. JT - Although in my mind I actually like UF better than JT, I was a part of the fanaticism of U2 when JT came out and really there wasn't a better time to be a U2 fan.

I'm still waiting for thier third Masterpiece - I hope they have it in them.

M rating of them all would be:-

JT
HTDAAB (close second)
AB very very close third and then the remainder on a par but all close close close close 4th.

In fact probably all i am sure about is that JT is my favourite album ever by anybody.

fly so high! said:

You can only have 1 masterpiece, the idea of 3 masterpieces is a oxy-moron!

No, it's not an oxy-moron. Many people consider Picasso to have more than one masterpiece, when an artist delves into different genres it's possibly to have different masterpieces...

I would say JT and AB qualify.

fly so high! said:

I agree:yes:

You can only have 1 masterpiece, the idea of 3 masterpieces is a oxy-moron!

JT is U2's.............. Masterpiece!

Only one masterpiece? Which one album would you call Zeppelin's masterpiece?

What ONE work would you call Mozart's masterpiece?

What ONE work would you call Monet's Masterpiece?

How could three Masterpieces be a oxy-moron?

What a shock, this thread turned into a ATYCLB-bashing thread:|

JT and AB are masterpiece works. End of story. ATYCLB has some elements of a masterpiece - the songs took on larger meaning in the wake of 9/11, Beautiful Day achieved the EXTREMELY rare status as a classic for a 20-year band, and it marked their "comeback" for mass-appeal. The problem for me is, it is not flawless throughout like AB, or as perfectly produced and masterfully sung as JT.

I've always thought UF qualified. It has stood the test of time, and has influenced current bands. Bono has never sounded better on record. I know several less-than-casual fans of U2 who consider UF to be their defining sound. As Edge has said, it is the one album that "stands outside of time".

YBORCITYOBL said:

Only one masterpiece? Which one album would you call Zeppelin's masterpiece?

What ONE work would you call Mozart's masterpiece?

What ONE work would you call Monet's Masterpiece?

How could three Masterpieces be a oxy-moron?

What is Led Zeppelin's masterpiece?
Well, that would be Zoso.

What is Mozart's masterpiece?
I'm sure most people would agree,Don Giovanni.

What is Monet's Masterpiece?
That would be London's House of Parliament!

Well, wether one can have multiple masterpieces or not I still think looking back and being a huge fan of U2 at the time both Albums came out that Achtung Baby still is a stronger album than JT.

Last edited:
What All That You Can't Leave Behind lacks is two things:

1) There aren't enough good songs. Once through the first five I don't listen anymore. There's no appeal to any of the others for me (yet - have to note that).

2) Bono's voice is gone, as it was noted earlier. Bono's voice carried Joshua Tree, and had part of the appeal of AB too.

It's not a masterpiece.

I still feel that Achtung Baby is only considered a masterpiece because of the ZOO TV tour
that tour is the real masterpiece

Joshua Tree is the only masterpiece
though far from my personal favourite

ATYCLB must be the most underrated U2 album by U2 fans (who seem mostly stuck in the 90's)

Zoomerang96 said:
yeah

all that you can't leave behind a masterpiece?

uh

no.

most over-rated album by the mainstream media of the decade.

or the most under-rated album by the indi-hugging nation.

phillyfan26 said:
What All That You Can't Leave Behind lacks is two things:

1) There aren't enough good songs. Once through the first five I don't listen anymore. There's no appeal to any of the others for me (yet - have to note that).

In a Little While, Wild Honey, When I Look at the World and New York aren't good songs? :ohmy:

I'll give you Peace on Earth and Grace as questionable, but in the context of the album they make perfect sense. Heck, even TJT has duds (Trip Through Your Wires, Exit is one of my favorite live songs but is horribly produced on the album, Bullet is weak on the album).

Maoilbheannacht said:

or the most under-rated album by the indi-hugging nation.

Salome said:
ATYCLB must be the most underrated U2 album by U2 fans (who seem mostly stuck in the 90's)

Amen to that. Such a fantastic album that only really gets trashed by hardcore fans from what I've seen. It has such a great feel to it and an atmosphere, something lacking in HTDAAB in my opinion.

ImOuttaControl said:

In a Little While, Wild Honey, When I Look at the World and New York aren't good songs?

They all just sound to much the same. Of the 4 you listed only In a little while is still listenable 6 years after I got it.

ATYCLB is a lot more top heavy than JT ever was. I have been listening to In God's Country alot recently and I would say that it is the 4th best song on the album. It keeps the album from being top heavy

Back
Top Bottom