Which live DVD would help people appreciate U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooper2000

The Fly
Which DVD should I show friends so they can appreciate U2 like I do?

They are semi fans, and know some of the hits, but dont own the albums and whatnot.

Elevation Boston, or Slane Castle?

I also have Rattle and Hum, but I don't think thats for beginner fans. I'm not sure, so you people tell me what you think?

I personally am thinking Slane because of the energy.

Slane definitely. I got it when I only owned 4 U2 albums (2 of them best ofs), and loved it immediately, even the songs I wasn't yet familiar with. I bought Boston a few months later, and my impression at the end was, "that was a good concert, but I really need to work on my compulsive spending habits." (40 f'in dollars for that :angry: )

:wink:

Slane. There is so much more emotion to that performance. I would think watching Slane would make it easier for a non-fan to understand how much us fans love and appreciate the band live.

Eh, I personally find the Slane dvd to be a flat performance. It does have some bright spots, but I prefer Boston completely. Nothin beats the Boston version of UTEOTW, I Will Follow, Stay, Bad, Streets and The Fly.

IMO Slane cause I was in the exact same boat as you were.

a couple of my friends liked U2 and their hits, but didn't really 'appreciate' them much. they didn't get how tickets for U2 were so expensive and stuff, but then I showed them Slane. And now they fully appreciate U2 and see how incredible they truly are.
plus Slane played alot of the hits, so my friends sang along and bobbed their heads with the tunes :)

see, it's just me, but I don't think ZooTV would be the perfect way to get someone into them. I suppose it depends on the age, I know I'd definitely show my friends Slane (ZooTV would weird them out to start with).

VertigoGal said:
see, it's just me, but I don't think ZooTV would be the perfect way to get someone into them. I suppose it depends on the age, I know I'd definitely show my friends Slane (ZooTV would weird them out to start with).

So they'd have to view it a few times and pay close attention to let it all sink in. It might take longer to 'get it' with ZooTV, but once your friend does get it, the payoff is soooo worth it, your friend's reaction after finally getting it would be 'WOW. JUST WOW.' They'd probably 'get' Slane after the first viewing but the reaction wouldn't be anything more than 'They're really good.'

I do agree with you, but it depends on how much "effort" the person is willing to put into it. A lot of people aren't willing to watch something several times before it sinks in or whatever. Not to mention, ZooTV might seem strange out of the context of their 80s work and attitudes. Sometimes it's necessary to ease them into the addiction. :evil:

SLANE. Hands down. The performance is better, the cinematography is better, it's ALMOST complete, and the crowd are much more into it.

VertigoGal said:
Slane definitely. I got it when I only owned 4 U2 albums (2 of them best ofs), and loved it immediately, even the songs I wasn't yet familiar with. I bought Boston a few months later, and my impression at the end was, "that was a good concert, but I really need to work on my compulsive spending habits." (40 f'in dollars for that :angry: )

:wink:

Agree with you there. I haven't bought Boston yet because it's so goddam expensive. I bought Slane when I owned HTDAAB, ATYCLB and the 80/90 best of. I watched it on a computer screen first, thought it was okay, not great, but okay. Then I watched it on my 80cm screen TV and found myself jumping on the furnititure signing as loud as I could, playing the air guitar. I can't say, because I haven't seen Boston, but Slane will be hard to beat.

I agree that Rattle & Hum may not be for beginner fans, because when I watched it (about a fortnight ago) it took me a while top get into it. By the end I was loving it though.

How can I get a copy of Zoo TV?

Slane kicks ass over Boston. THe outro of All I Want is You segwaying into Streets is epic and then with the shot of the crowd right as the flood lights explode is amazing. I get chills ever time I watch it.

Even though I have never seen the ZOOTV show from Sydney, the short clips I have seen tell me that, that's all anyone should ever need to see to fall in love with U2.

I also think that Rattle and Hum is underrated. i really love that DVD and in fact sat down and watched it right threw just last week. I think it might be a good one to introduce fans who might lean a bit more towards a harder rock style of music. I know when I showed my little brother the performance of Exit, he said to me "I didn't know U2 could rock that way". I told him he has a lot to learn.:wink:

Last edited:
Rattle And Hum, don't stuff around with anything else unless it's a burnt DVD of Under A Blood Red Sky.

I was a casual fan with two Best Ofs and ATYCLB when I saw Rattle And Hum. Songs like Exit, WOWY, Streets, and Sunday Bloody Sunday blew me away. Bad literally left me breathless and is why I'm posting here today.

So yeah, don't waste your time with that Elevation stuff. Neither can put a finger on Rattle And Hum.

Last edited:
VertigoGal said:
^:lol: I have a friend who's somewhat anti-U2, but she loves Exit. And that's just the album version, I wonder what she'd say to the live one. :hmm:
My anti-U2 friend told me to play something normal after she heard Exit for the first (and only) time.
So back to Vertigo we went........
(She hates every U2 song excpet Vertigo :huh: )

Back on topic, play Slane. Better vibe.

Zoo TV did it for me, I'll never forget it.

They showed it on the telly in the UK around Christmas time.

I already liked the band, but I was stunned at how good it was, both musically and visually.

I prefer the popmart video to slane or boston, The Fly and Gone are great on Boston, but Slane's better overall.

Axver said:
Rattle And Hum, don't stuff around with anything else unless it's a burnt DVD of Under A Blood Red Sky.

I was a casual fan with two Best Ofs and ATYCLB when I saw Rattle And Hum. Songs like Exit, WOWY, Streets, and Sunday Bloody Sunday blew me away. Bad literally left me breathless and is why I'm posting here today.

So yeah, don't waste your time with that Elevation stuff. Neither can put a finger on Rattle And Hum.

So the great Axver only became a big fan a few years ago?!!

I think if you are going to introduce someone new to U2 you would have to show them something that represents how the band are at this moment in time.

The closest we have to that are the two Elevation concerts already mentioned, both are superb so either would do.

As good as the earlier concert footage is, it doesnt represent how the band are now and wouldnt IMO inspire a newbie to go out and buy a first U2 album.

I would find it very hard to choose between either Boston or Slane for a full concert. However, If I had to choose only a snippet that represents U2 at their peak it has to be All I want is you and Streets from Slane. I think the way the two song seque together would melt the coldest heart and have the newbie rushing to the record store.

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:

So the great Axver only became a big fan a few years ago?!!

Yep. I grew up all my life a casual fan, everyone around me liked U2 and they were generally accepted as one of the best bands ever. But it wasn't until I got the Best Of 1990-2000 and heard Gone that I actually decided I needed every single album. Then one of my mother's friends gave me the UABRS and RAH videos. 11 O'clock Tick Tock and Bad totally blew me away and I knew I needed every single U2 thing I could get my hands on. The rest is history.

mackemlad said:
I think if you are going to introduce someone new to U2 you would have to show them something that represents how the band are at this moment in time.

[...]

As good as the earlier concert footage is, it doesnt represent how the band are now and wouldnt IMO inspire a newbie to go out and buy a first U2 album.

I'd disagree. The first live U2 footage I saw was RAH and UABRS in 2002 when I was 15 (or maybe it was January 2003 when I turned 16). That above all else is what got me completely and totally hooked. My videos of RAH and UABRS barely play around Bad and 11 O'clock Tick Tock any more.

Everyone's different really. What would inspire me to get everything - Gone, live Bad, live 11 O'clock Tick Tock - might inspire another person to hit the off switch. But I do think there's something on RAH to convert just about anyone, from the hard rocking darkness of Exit to the gospel choir ISHFWILF.

Axver said:

Yep. I grew up all my life a casual fan, everyone around me liked U2 and they were generally accepted as one of the best bands ever. But it wasn't until I got the Best Of 1990-2000 and heard Gone that I actually decided I needed every single album. Then one of my mother's friends gave me the UABRS and RAH videos. 11 O'clock Tick Tock and Bad totally blew me away and I knew I needed every single U2 thing I could get my hands on. The rest is history.

And when u got AB and heard track 10 for the 1st time, u were like...:combust:

Back
Top Bottom