Which is U2's "first masterpiece?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Jack In The Box
War and end of the discussion

Exactly right ... :applaud:

Although, some people dislike "Red Light" and "The Refugee" ...
that doesn't even make a difference here at all ...

The majority of War songs are considered CLASSICS ...
and CLASSIC songs are what give this album the "masterpiece" title ... :yes: :drool:

MrBrau1 said:
UF is extremely over-rated. I don't see how anyone can raise UF up on high, and put down ATYCLB. Elvis Presley & America? 4th of July? Indian Summer Sky?

Elvis Presley & America? 4th of July? Indian Summer Sky? Are all part of a greater whole. TUF is one of the few records I've heard that actually NEEDS to be listened to as a whole. 4th of July, standing alone, is sort of mundane. But between Promenade and Bad it is perfect. EPAA is a gorgeous, obscure, partially ad-libbed, almost incoherent work of atmospherics and harmonics that is so out there that the U2 of today wouldn't dare release it. But frankly, I would've preferred it to close the record than MLK. And Indian Summer Sky is just a great, great song.

To lose along the way
the spark that set the flame
to flicker and to fade
on this the longest day

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I mean a masterpiece (in album terms) is a group of songs where each song, or a large number of those songs can stand on their own and don't lose their sense of relevance in time. While "Pride", "TUF", and "Bad" are all great songs the rest of the bunch don't quite come up to snuff with those three or even to the first song on the Joshua Tree.

In album terms, it's just the opposite. A collection of 10-11 great songs does not neccessarily a great album make. A great album should have a flow and TUF has a flow and a cohesiveness that some bands can only dream of creating. That said, TUF is the second masterpiece.

First - War
Second - TUF
Third - JT
Fourth - AB
Fifth - Pop

madroseka said:
I would say UF is the first of the "masterpieces"
madroseka, could you please stop bumping year-old threads? :) it kinda throws a lot of people off. there's plenty of new topics to discuss and if there's something we've not discussed since then, you're more than welcome to start a new thread. :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom