Which is better: HTDAAB or ATYCLB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, by far. As many have said, ATYCLB contains songs that are individually good. But as a cohesive album, it leaves me feeling cold. I was very disappointed the first time I listened to it. HTDAAB on the other hand, holds together as both an album and the songs are strong on their own.

Last half of ATYCLB kills it, after starting with great 5 songs(i'll include Elevation). Going up and then straightforward down.
Beautiful Day, Walk on and Kite are better than any song from Hut Dab except City Of Blinding Lights.
Hut dab has good songs all the time.

My Vote-Hut Dab

miss becky said:
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb, by far. As many have said, ATYCLB contains songs that are individually good. But as a cohesive album, it leaves me feeling cold. I was very disappointed the first time I listened to it. HTDAAB on the other hand, holds together as both an album and the songs are strong on their own.

I'm not gonna say you're wrong, because this whole arguement is completely subjective, but I'm curious to how you or anybody else here can say that HTDAAB "holds together" better.

For one I can tell when listening to HTDAAB that U2 had trouble with producers, like the firing of Chris Thomas ect. The production of Original of the Species for example, doesn't go along with the rest of the album at all IMO. This song would have felt more at home on ATYCLB im my opinion.

Also, as I've already mentioned, the album has a horrid flow. Every time Vertigo ends and Miracle Drug starts I'm like "what were they thinking. Again, the problem IMO is the production standpoint. A little "fade in" at the start of miracle drug would have done wonders.

LAPOE--- exact same as with miracle drug, horrible flow between Sometimes and LAPOE.

HTDAAB is also very inconsistent in terms of sound IMO. Vertigo, ABOY, Crumbs, LAPOE, COBL and Yahweh give an indication of what U2 was shooting for in their "all out rock and roll album." Obviously U2 can't write a strait up rock album, because the rest--Sometimes, MD, AMAAW, One Step Closer and Original of the Species are all heavy in synthesizers and overly produced compared to the other songs.

Thematically, it seems inconsistent also. There are the God songs(Yahweh and ABOY), there are the "return to innocence songs"(COBL and OOTS), there are the political rockers(Crumbs and LAPOE), there are the songs about bonos father(OSC and SYCMIOYO), then Vertigo, AMAAW and MD are on there and don't really fit in the other categories. I just don't see any consistent theme throughout these songs. I don't feel any consistent theme throughout these songs.

Don't get me wrong, HTDAAB has been in constant rotation for me since it came out, but I find myself listening to a song or 2 instead of ever listening to the whole album strait--for reasons I've been mentioning.

On the other hand, I had a long drive yesterday and put in ATYCLB and listened to it strait through for the first time in ages. I was blown away. It has a consistent theme and sound that runs through the whole album (elevation being the only exception). As far as I'm concerned, ATYCLB is criminally underrated on these boards. The only song that is average at best is Peace on Earth, but again it flows perfectly in the album. When I Look At The World and Wild Honey are criminally underrated, particularily on these boards.

I usually don't care what critics say too much, but I think there's a good reason people were calling ATYCLB U2's 3rd masterpiece and HTDAAB hasn't gotten that kind of praise.

Pero said:
Last half of ATYCLB kills it, after starting with great 5 songs(i'll include Elevation). Going up and then straightforward down.

How is a second half that includes "In A Little While," "Wild Honey," "When I Look At The World" and "New York" going "straitforward down."

In a Little While had, IMO, the potential to be a huge huge single off of ATYCLB. Extremely catchy, crossover (the r & b guitar line), and short enough to fit on the radio perfectly. Could have been a much better single than Walk On or Stuck In A Moment.

Wild Honey-- I guess it's a matter of taste, but I don't see how anyone could say the HTDAAB counterpart A Man And A Woman could be considered to be superior.

When I Look At The World-- Classic U2. Suffers only from being at the end of the album which people tend to ignore more than the first half. Criminally underrated.

New York-- Yeah, it takes some time to get into, but it's a great song that flows well with the rest of the album. I guess everything can't be immediate pop rock songs like we see on HTDAAB. :wink:

ImOuttaControl said:

Don't get me wrong, HTDAAB has been in constant rotation for me since it came out, but I find myself listening to a song or 2 instead of ever listening to the whole album strait--for reasons I've been mentioning.

Whereas it's the other way around for me. I don't often choose ATYCLB to listen to, and when I do, it's usually only for a song or two. But I do listen to HTDAAB all the way through (although I freely admit I often skip One Step Closer.)

I agree with what you said about production for both albums, and the way certain songs flow (or don't) into each other. I guess in the end I have no real explanation for why I prefer one album over another. All I know is that I love HTDAAB and when I listen to it, I listen in entirety. ATYCLB just doesn't do it for me.

As you said, music is subjective. I only know what I like, even if I can't put the reasons into words. :)

ImOuttaControl said:

How is a second half that includes "In A Little While," "Wild Honey," "When I Look At The World" and "New York" going "straitforward down."

With the exception of -When i look at the world- then the second half of the album is not only straightforward down,,, Its pure crap IMO.

I guess I'm in the minority here who think that ATYCLB is a better, more cohesive album. It even seems a lot of people agree that HTDAAB has bad production and has an awkward flow(judging from various reviews also); which is why it won't be considered one of U2's great "albums" in the long run---even though most of the songs on it are fantastic.

U2ElevatesMe415 said:
HTDAAB..every song is well put together and on ATYCLB there were some that weren't so good.

In a way I agree. HTDAAB is much more of a pop album(maybe more immediate is a better word) than ATYCLB was--at least for me. The songs on HTDAAB were put together well, even if it is "U2 by the numbers" and were polished into slick pop-rock songs.

Last edited:
HTDAAB is a better record. I agree that the trackorder/flow could have been better, and I definitely agree that a few songs on HTDAAB were butchered production-wise(Crumbs, OOTS). Crumbs should have had a greater acoustic influence and not be so loud, and OOTS should have been completely scaled down like the live versions. But when I listen to HTDAAB, I feel like I'm listening to a record, even if it is a record with a not-so-great flow. When I listen to ATYCLB, I feel like I'm listening to a recording U2 made where they tried to write as many singles as they could in a short period of time. There are some great songs there, but there are also some - I don't want to say bad, but non-standout - tracks too. Wild Honey is fun but it's nothing special. New York had tons of potential but it is too held back. The Nice mix or the live version is much better. POE is the only song in U2's entire catalog that I genuinely don't like. WILATW and Grace are quite good, though. IALW is terribly underrated. The first five songs are good, of course, except that Stuck was murdered in production - the acoustic version is FAR FAR FAR superior. If Stuck had been acoustic, NY had been more along the lines of the Nice Mix, WH and POE had been omitted, and GBHF and some other song had been added, ATYCLB would have been better. Anyway, song-by-song...

BD > Vertigo
MD>Stuck(if we're truly comparing just the two albums and this is the album version of Stuck, because otherwise the acoustic version would be better than MD)
Sometimes>Elevation
LAPOE > WO
Kite/COBL TIE
IALW > ABOY
AMAAW > WH
Crumbs >>>>>>>>> POE
WILATW > OSC
OOTS > NY
Grace > Yahweh

HTDAAB: 6
ATYCLB: 4
TIE: 1

Oh, and I disagree that WO and BD are better than anything on HTDAAB...LAPOE and COBL are better than either of them. Maybe Kite is better than anything on HTDAAB, but that's it.

Hey namkcuR, reading some of your thoughts on ATYCLB was interesting in that a couple days ago I came up this compilation that you may find a bit to your liking?:

1. Electrical Storm (Band Version)
2. New York (Nice Version)
3. Stateless
4. Stuck In A Moment (Acoustic Version)
5. In A Little While
6. The Ground Beneath Her Feet
7. Falling At Your Feet
8. Beautiful Day
9. Elevation (Tomb Raider Version)
10. Levitate
11. Walk On (Single Version w/ Hallelujahs)

This ATYCLB compilation has the goal of telling a linear story and a focus on the story of a relationship. Electrical Storm sees a relationship in trouble. New York has him running away to the Big Apple in an attempt to escape the crisis. Distractions, noise, sensory overload, indulgence, drowning out his conscience. Stateless sees him wandering around the city streets. It’s late into the night and he is all alone. He recognizes his life heading towards hitting rock bottom. Stuck In A Moment has him coming to a realization that he has the choice of either staying “stuck” and facing even worse consequences or committing himself towards a reconciliation and renewal of his relationship and his life. Dawn is just beginning to crack on the horizon. In A Little While portrays his hung-over first steps towards returning home. A phone call to his wife. An attempt at a romantic apology. The Ground Beneath Her Feet has him back at home and represents his plea “on his knees” and maybe with roses, chocolates, etc. Falling At Your Feet reveals their experience of healing and reunion. Beautiful Day proclaims his joy of a new beginning, a new life. Elevation declares his celebration and ecstasy of his new-found love. Levitate continues his rejoicing. Walk On his him summarizing his journey, the lessons learned, and his commitment to a new way living and loving. A final jump for joy.

I feel the newer album is better not only in terms of consistently good tunes but its also got better individual songs...I'd take SYCMIOYO over Kite any day, for instance, or Miracle Drug over Walk On..its just a flat-out better album in pretty much every way.

Hey Nisse, you responded with a BD and MD opener so I thought of this one:

1. Beautiful Day
2. Miracle Drug
3. Elevation (Tomb Raider Version)
4. Vertigo
5. In a Little While
6. Original of the Species
7. Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own
8. Love and Peace or Else
9. City of Blinding Lights
10. Walk On (Single w/ Hallelujahs Version)
11. Yahweh

HTDAAB is the much better album. Kite is not a very good song at all. Walk On is good, Beautiful Day is good and Stuck is brilliant. I don't like any of the other songs. HTDAAB has great songs (Vertigo, Miracle Drug, SYCMIOYO, Crumbs) some good songs (love and peace, COBL, All Because of You,One Step Closer, Yahweh, Fast Cars) and average song (Man and a Woman) and a bad song (Original of the species). Then again I really "tryin to throw your arms around the world" so I must have weird taste!

nickypiemcg said:
HTDAAB is the much better album. Kite is not a very good song at all.

I agree with you about the bomb being a better album, but the second statement is crazy, 'kite' could be the centerpiece of that album - the only other song in it's league is 'beautiful day'.

It may all depend on what one considers an album to be - if it's supposed to be a cohesive set of songs that work toward a similar theme (Sgt. Peppers) or a collection of the best songs a band has at that time with no clear underlying theme (The White Album). I could go either way, but for me HTDAAB winds up being a stronger set of songs than ATYCLB is as a cohesive whatchamacallit.
Good songs win for me, HTDAAB is more fun for me.:wink:

Beautiful Day 10 vs Vertigo 8, Beautiful Day no competion at all
Stuck in a Moment 9.5vs Miracle Drug 8, Stuck is 3 times better
Elevation 9 vs SYCMIOYO 9, Equal I love both of them
Walk On 9vs LAPOE 9, Equal both great songs
Kite 9.5 vs COBL 8.5, Kite is much better
IALW 8 vs ABOY 7, Has to be IN a Little While
Wild Honey 6.5 vs AMAAW 4, I ahte AMAAW Wild Honey here
Peace On Earth 8.5 vs CFYT 9, Love POE but Crumbs is better
WILATW 7.5 vs OSC 8.5, OSC is much better
New York 6.5vs OOTS 7.5, OOTS is a great song much better
Grace 4vs Yahweh 8.5, Grace was a joke Yahweh is a classic
GBHF 9 vs Fast Cars 10, I love Fast cars favourite song off HTDAAB

ATYCLB 97 HTDAAB 97, I listened to a few songs from ATYCLB after I wrote this and remembered how great they were I decide it is a tie. I think both albums would be brillant if Grace was replaced by Electrical Strom and AMAAW by Mercy.

Last edited:
ATYCLB

Great: Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite, Peace On Earth, When I Look At The World, New York....... 6
Alright: Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of, Elevation, In A Little While, Wild Honey.... 4
Bad: Grace...1

HTDAAB

Great: Vertigo, Miracle Drug, Love And Peace Or Else, City Of Blinding Lights, All Because Of You, Crumbs From Your Table, A Man and A Woman, One Step Closer, Yahweh....... 9
Alright: Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own, Original Of The Species..... 2
Bad: *None*

Therefore, HTDAAB wins. :wink:

I think it's true that ATYCLB's best are way better than HTDAAB's best. Kite and Stuck in a Moment, to me, are better than anything off of HTDAAB. Beautiful Day and Elevation are also better than anything off of HTDAAB besides OotS IMO.

But overall, HTDAAB is a much better album. ATYCLB has my favorite U2 songs, but also some really bad ones.

What a confusing post I just made.

ImOuttaControl said:

In a way I agree. HTDAAB is much more of a pop album(maybe more immediate is a better word) than ATYCLB was--at least for me. The songs on HTDAAB were put together well, even if it is "U2 by the numbers" and were polished into slick pop-rock songs.

I think ATYCLB is the most immediate album U2 have ever done.
I think ATYCLB is also the most polished album U2 have ever done.

If I were to make an argument for any other album, it would of course be the other poppy, polished, easily digestable immediacy of HTDAAB. Both albums aim and accomplish the same things. Despite minor differences in song X vs song Y.

I know these opinions are all entirely subjective, but let me just say I couldnt possibly disagree more with what you said.

If anything, if you are to assert that one of them is a pop album, then they both are. If I had to argue one side, I'd say HTDAAB is probably slightly more rock and roll, but neither are very much.

------------------
R&B influences on two different songs:
In A Little While vs Love and Peace or Else
I think most would agree IALW is the more "pop" song.
LAPOE is a bluesy rock number.

Beautiful Day or Vertigo both pop rock songs. So I don't know how one would differentiate. Both have sort of the ode to Bono's father Kite vs Sometimes, both are pop.
Elevation is the sing along stadium rocker vs COBL, both are poppy rock songs.

Walk on vs All Because of You probably the truest to form rock and roll either album has to offer. Essentially it could easily be pop-rock, hooky choruses with a big melody.

Grace vs One Step Closer:both ambient moody music
Original of the Species vs Stuck In a Moment
Beatles Let it Be era vs Motown sing-along, pure pop in both cases

When I Look at the World vs Yahweh
God songs, probably neither too much rock or pop. WILATW is probably more rock and roll.

Wild Honey vs A Man and A Woman
both pop deluxe

New York vs Miracle Drug
NY has a rocky bridge, MD has a rocky solo and outro
both are in the same vein as all the other stuff. pop rock.

Peace on Earth vs Crumbs From Your Table
God and poltics, Crumbs is decidedly the more rocky song.
------------------
Point is, there aren't any real rock and roll arguments going on here, it's all pop, the few differences in the "genre" type comparisons lean slightly to HTDAAB as a more rocky album, but noone is really convinced of that.

I wouldnt make a big effort to personally champion HTDAAB as a rock album but certainly NOT ATYCLB. That's, I guess my disagreement, how could you say on one hand that HTDAAB is more of a pop album, when ATYCLB clearly is cut from the same cloth. They are BOTH pop albums.

U2 have always had a sense of pop music and it is exhibited heavily in ATYCLB and HTDAAB, which depsite certain song differences, production and such, are essentialy two sides of the same coin. U2 as a pop rock outfit, writing songs with catchy hooks and melodies and the occasional meandering off the path that produces a Grace or a One Step Closer is not enough, IMO, to distinguish the albums apart on a rock vs pop basis.

They are both pop albums in the same ways. The only thing really to be distinguished is which has better songs. I don't find it to be really all that subjective to call them both pop albums. I mean to me, that's what they are. I guess if one considered that an insult they may argue against it. I'd say to those people don't consider it an insult, U2 don't, they are doing it on purpose, you know? They are trying to make pop records.

I'll throw my hat into the ring by voting for HTDAAB, but agreeing that ATYCLB has more songs that would end up being "classics" down the line.

HTDAAB, but I will always love ATYCLB....

In a little while, kite, beautiful day, when I look at the world, walk on :up:

Back
Top Bottom