Which do you prefer: Fire or Saturday Night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The John Tree

War Child
After recently purchasing the Boy, October, and War remasters, I finally took the time to really sit down and listen to all of them today, as well as their bonus discs.

I was hit by a tune called "Saturday Night", a very early version of "Fire".

It's funny because I was explaining to a friend of mine who's also a fan of U2, but not a diehard and only really knows their recent material and greatest hits. The conversation went something like this:

Friend: So what were their early singles? I didn't even know I Will Follow was a single.

Me: Yeah that was a single. On their second album there was Gloria and this song called "Fire", which in my opinion is pretty forgettable...

Friend: ...as opposed to the Unforgettable Fire?

Nonetheless, when I played back Saturday Night, I was taken aback by how much I loved it. It's got a different energy than "Fire". "Fire" sounds flat, like a band trying to make a catchy tune but not quite hitting the mark. The chorus is catchy, but for some reason, the energy isn't there. It doesn't sound lively. Saturday Night, however, is pulsing with energy. I guess the difference between the vibe within the band during Boy and during October is no more evident than in these two songs.

What does everyone else think? Fire or Saturday Night?

i prefer fire. i like saturday night for what it is, a demo, though. that's not to say though if it'd been released as saturday night i wouldn't have liked it. i just like fire better.

I prefer Saturday Night. It has a creative spark. Fire is supposed to sound finished, but like much of October, it sounds like a glorified demo, lacking a good hook and proper arrangement.

I just listened to Saturday Night on Youtube. All I can say is WTF guys?! Saturday Night is gorgeous. Why was this not on October?! It might be better than anything on the first two albums. Definitely better than Fire which is one of the low points on October.

Again what the hell guys? :madwife:

Fire, though Saturday Night is an amazing thing to listen to, the guitar is just incredible, but I prefer the more polished and the more ambient nature of the timeless Fire. Love it, love both, but Saturday Night is a gem in it's own right....and I'm glad U2 released it.

Definitely Saturday Night for me. I've always found Fire to be kind of boring, but Saturday Night is fresh and exciting.

I prefer Saturday Night, purely because it sounds slightly menacing :hyper:

Precisely the same thing I've been saying...there's a dark, ominous, even psychotic-sounding edge to "Saturday Night" which, IMO, makes it a measurable improvement over "Fire". It has proved to be the highlight of the never-before-released material from last month's deluxe releases ("Angels Tied Too Close to the Ground" marking the low point).

Fire's definitely the better song and I prefer its atmosphere, but I enjoy Saturday Night too - I'd say it's the best of the unreleased tracks from the BOctoWar remasters.

"Menacing" is the perfect adjective, actually. It truly feels like a Saturday Night, but an eventful one, when you're young and you know that you're up to no good on a Saturday night and the streets are electric and you know it's inevitable that something dramatic will happen on your night on the town. Love it.

I just listened to Saturday Night on Youtube. All I can say is WTF guys?! Saturday Night is gorgeous. Why was this not on October?! It might be better than anything on the first two albums. Definitely better than Fire which is one of the low points on October.

Again what the hell guys? :madwife:
it is good, but i can't see it fitting on october, thematically.

Fire's definitely the better song and I prefer its atmosphere, but I enjoy Saturday Night too - I'd say it's the best of the unreleased tracks from the BOctoWar remasters.
it is the best unreleased track, for sure. angels too tied to the ground is not just an awkward-sounding title, but the music is ruined by the new bono vocals.

fire's actually one of my favourites off october, easily in my top two. i only like tomorrow better.

Fire is the lowest point on one of my favorite albums. I'll have to listen to Saturday Night again to choose one... I'm drawing a blank on it at the moment.

it is the best unreleased track, for sure. angels too tied to the ground is not just an awkward-sounding title, but the music is ruined by the new bono vocals.

fire's actually one of my favourites off october, easily in my top two. i only like tomorrow better.

Yeah, I don't think it would have fit on October having listened to it nearly fifty in the last day or two. I think it would sound great before An Cat Dubh but is almost too good and ahead of its time on Boy.

I love Angel's title. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be until the next album that they started writing songs that deserved such a title. I can only imagine how great it would sound with War era vocals. :drool:

Yeah, the new vocals, dodgy lyrics, and awkward title of Angels are really off-putting to me. And it's a bit odd that Speed Of Life is an instrumental, since it had lyrics when they played it live! So Saturday Night really doesn't have much contest from those two.

Fire's in my top four or five tracks on October. Gloria, Rejoice, and Tomorrow are all quite superior, but I think it's a pretty strong track, about equal with Brick and Scarlet in my rankings.

Fire, though Saturday Night is an amazing thing to listen to, the guitar is just incredible, but I prefer the more polished and the more ambient nature of the timeless Fire. Love it, love both, but Saturday Night is a gem in it's own right....and I'm glad U2 released it.

These two sum up my thoughts exactly :up:

Fire's my favourite off October.

Fire improved a lot in its live incarnation and I realise now that the live versions are quite similar to this Saturday Night demo.

I was really impressed with "Saturday Night." "Fire" sounds "nicer," for lack of a better term. I suppose I like "Saturday Night" better at the moment, but that might be partly because it's something new.

Back
Top Bottom