Which Bono Sings The New Mix Of Gone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which Bono sings in the new mix of Gone?

• 1997 Bono

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • 2002 Bono

Votes: 24 75.0%

• Total voters
D'oh! said:
2002 Bono sings the new mix of gone
The 'Best of' new mix is MUCH better. Gone was one of a trio of rock songs on Pop (SATS and LNOE) that were all good, no, very good songs, but could all have been so much better. The scalding version on the Best of is a huge improvement, more emphasis on guitar, and also the fact that Bono, IMO, has been at his best vocally in the last 5 years or so. (I think ATYCLB is vocally Bono's best album)

I agree with namkcur that ATYCLB is Bono's worst album vocally. Just listen to Stuck In An Embarrassment or In A Little While (esp. "...a little girl with spanish eyes, oh.. in a pram they pushed her by"). He has definitely done better on HTDAAB.

Zootlesque said:

I agree with namkcur that ATYCLB is Bono's worst album vocally. Just listen to Stuck In An Embarrassment or In A Little While (esp. "...a little girl with spanish eyes, oh.. in a pram they pushed her by"). He has definitely done better on HTDAAB.

Very true, although I think 'In A Little While' was Bono intentionally doing that to his voice, like how he made it sound all strained when he recorded 'One' in 1991, and how it sounded much clearer when performed live because he couldn't do the affectations in a live setting.

-Miggy

Yeah, I remember being struck by how bad his vocals were the first time I listened to ATYCLB. But they've grown on me. "In A Little While" wouldn't work with a less gritty vocal.

He sounded pretty bad on the Elevation Tour, though, sorry to say.

typhoon said:
Yeah, I remember being struck by how bad his vocals were the first time I listened to ATYCLB. But they've grown on me. "In A Little While" wouldn't work with a less gritty vocal.

He sounded pretty bad on the Elevation Tour, though, sorry to say.

in his defense, he did have a throat operation a year before.

in his prosecution, he smoked waaayyy too much.

whatever.
the album was a big hit.
guess the general public didn't notice.....as long as they didn't dress up like the village people, they'll buy it.

I just cannot choose between the two Gone mixes, one day I like the original the next I like the New mix.
To me the original is just so beautiful and it sends this streaming feeling of hope through me. The reason I like the new mix so much is because it just makes me feel like jumping out of my seat mainly because of the more aggressive singing delivery from Bono.. But I am completely half/half on it and would only choose the original because it is just that.
Oh and those Piano's are so beautiful.

JOFO said:

yeah but see, that's because you were already familiar with "Gone" through the live versions and "Best Of" version. The original version then became the "New" version to you.

I thought someone would post that objection, but it's not because I knew the original Gone first. It's the only New Mix that I think is superior to the original (well, I don't have an opinion either way on Numb, actually). When I first heard the original Discotheque and SATS, I had to stop and wonder why in the world they were re-done for the Best Of, but I felt that Gone had been enhanced.

Bono's worst album vocally is Pop, easily.
Oddly enough, I seem to recall most people liked the way he sounded on the last tour.

Last edited:
Axver said:

I thought someone would post that objection, but it's not because I knew the original Gone first. It's the only New Mix that I think is superior to the original (well, I don't have an opinion either way on Numb, actually). When I first heard the original Discotheque and SATS, I had to stop and wonder why in the world they were re-done for the Best Of, but I felt that Gone had been enhanced.

I agree with you on this.

Bono's worst album vocally is Pop, easily.

...IYO...

Oddly enough, I seem to recall most people liked the way he sounded on the last tour.

but not on the album... his voice is the worst SOUNDING on ATYCLB... on Pop it's just not "strong" but it sounds OK.
On ATYCLB it's dirty, it's pretending to be strong, but it's not. It is Bono's worst album vocaly.
(IMO)

On Pop, I think he purposely sounded weak and helpless because of the theme of despair. But even then, he sounded weary but never strained to hit notes like on atyclb. Therefore atyclb is the worst vocal performance, IMO.

Can we stop making excuses for Bono, i.e. he sang weak on purpose etc etc? That may true for individual songs here and there(One, In A Little While, etc), but I don't think you can make that excuse for a whole record. The reality is that Bono's voice was the best it ever was in the late 80s, in the early 90s it lost some depth but gained some range, in the late 90s the range receeded, he had surgery DURING Popmart I believe, and so he sounds not all that good on some of the latter Popmart shows because it takes time for the voice to recover after that surgery, ATYCLB was his worst studio record vocally because he was STILL recovering from surgery(it takes a few years I think to recover fully from it), and he had recovered enough by the time he recorded HTDAAB that his voice sounded(sounds) the best it has perhaps since ZooTV. I really don't think there's much more to it.

Miggy D said:
The vocal is obviously different. What I can't figure out is if the person singing is 1997 Bono or 2002 Bono. The delivery is classic 2002 Bono - in 1997 he was much more of a crooner, and his vocals were much mroe reserved. But I believe the band has been quoted as saying that the vocal was from one of the original 1996-1997 sessions. I just don't know if I buy that.

Miggy D, do you recall where the band said the vocal was from 1996-1997? Was it an interview, or an article in a magazine or something?

I just find that curious, especially if it is true, since most people here think it's a newer vocal.

People confuse raspy voice - intentional, even - with weakness.

On ATYCLB and HTDAAB he is going for notes he only dreamed of on Pop.

U2girl said:
People confuse raspy voice - intentional, even - with weakness.

On ATYCLB and HTDAAB he is going for notes he only dreamed of on Pop.

correction.... on HTDAAB he is going for those notes... on ATYCLB he's only trying, wich makes this album his worst!

I'm really torn on this. I love both versions.

I'd probably go with the POP version though. While it's probably not as tecnically well done (I'm no expert), I like the mood they were shooting for. It's more ambient and moody, as opposed to raw. I don't think of raw rock when I think of Gone, I think of an emotiona, ambient song.

Listen to an old version of Pride circa 1987. Now those are some shit vocals. Terrible. Why do people here think screaming is singing?

MrBrau1 said:
Listen to an old version of Pride circa 1987. Now those are some shit vocals. Terrible. Why do people here think screaming is singing?

Agreed. Bono screamed a helluva lot in the late 80s. Thankfully he learned how to sing live around 1992. Pride, WTSHNN, etc...he did a lot of screaming circa 1987-1989.

-Miggy

MrBrau1 said:
i think this (combined with the smoking obviously) is why he can't hit some of the notes he used to.

Can we ever have a thread that doesn't degenerate into a POP vs. ATYCLB vs. HTDAAB battle?

I wasn't aware that this one had. Take a left, go about 2 miles down past the McDonalds - that's the thread you're looking for.

MrBrau1 said:

the high notes were the style in the 70's 80's, most of the songs of that period were in incredible keys, nowadays it's no more the case......and it's better

Back
Top Bottom