Which 'Best Of' Compilation do you like better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I pretty much agree with all of the points made so far as to why the Best of 80-90 is better. The Best of 90-2000 is so unbelievably bad that I wonder if there was some kind of ulterior motive. I mean, typhoon, you hit it right on the head. Great post.

Oh... and those who don't have the DVD set, the 90-2000 one is awesome like Pero mentioned.

As I said in my original post, I prefer 80-90 for a multitude of reasons, and I'll add to that I agree with everything that's been said about why 90-00 is bad. That said, I've come up with this three-disc set that would have been an amazing 90-00 collection:

Disc 1: The Best Of 1990-2000

1.Even Better Than The Real Thing
2.Mofo
3.The Fly
4.Last Night On Earth
5.Discotheque
6.Mysterious Ways
7.Lemon
8.Miss Sarajevo
9.Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses(Temple Bar Remix)
10.If God Will Send His Angels
11.One
12.Stay(Faraway, So Close)
13.Gone
14.Until The End Of The World
15.Numb
16.Staring At The Sun
17.Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
18.Please
(not sure if that will all fit on one disc, it's a VERY close call)

Disc 2: The Best Of 1990-200 B-Sides

1.Pop Muzik
2.Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk
3.Lady With The Spinning Head(Extended Dance Mix)
4.Night And Day(Original 1990 recording - NOT The Steel Strings Mix, NOT The Twilight Remix, THE ORIGINAL)
5.Your Blue Room
6.North And South Of The River
7.Salome(Zooromancer Remix)
8.Happiness Is A Warm Gun(The Gun Mix)
9.Holy Joe(Garage Mix)
10.Where Did It All Go Wrong
11.Paint It Black
12.Fortunate Son
13.Can't Help Falling In Love
14.Satellite Of Love
15.Slow Dancing(Just Bono Version)
16.Two Shots Of Happy, One Shot Of Sad

Disc 3: The Best Of 1990-2000 Remixes

1.The Lounge Fly Mix
2.Stay(Faraway, So Close)(The Underdog Mix)
3.Even Better Than The Real Thing(Perfecto Mix)
4.Mysterious Ways(Perfecto Mix)
5.Lemon(Perfecto Mix)
6.Discotheque(Hexidecimal Mix)
7.Dirty Day(Bitter Kiss Mix)
8.Mofo(Romin Remix)
9.Lemon(Bad Yard Club Mix)
10.Staring At The Sun(Monster Truck Mix)
11.Even Better Than The Real Thing(V16 Exit Wound Remix)
12.Numb(Gimme Some More Dignity Mix)
NOTE: I know EBTTRT Exit Wound and SATS Monster Truck aren't all that well-known or popular, but they KICK ASS and deserve their spots!

Much prefer 80-90...any of us could have done a better job on putting together 90-2000. Who worked on that? A group of chimps? And I will never understand the edits.

I was also thinking that since they've used ATYCLB already....and it's well into 2005 and we won't see another album until 2008 (I'm feeling optimistic here)...there won't be enough material to fill up another one of these until 2015 or so.

Their biggest mistake was trying to sandwich the best of material into two decades instead of just putting together what was really the best.

Question....on iTunes are you buying the edited versions or the real thing since there are no more restraints on time?

:ohmy:

Westport said:
I was also thinking that since they've used ATYCLB already....and it's well into 2005 and we won't see another album until 2008 (I'm feeling optimistic here)...there won't be enough material to fill up another one of these until 2015 or so.

Bono said they want to have one out mid-late 2006.

Their biggest mistake was trying to sandwich the best of material into two decades instead of just putting together what was really the best.

BUZZZZZZZZ - WRONG!!!!!

The Best Of 1980-1990 is near flawless. They could have EASILY made a disc of 14-15 songs from the 90s and would have been flawless too. The biggest mistake was not trying to make 90-00 live up to the standard of excellence that 80-90 set.

the 90-2000 compilation is God awful. God Awful I tell you :wink:

I mean, all the songs on it are great. But Best of??? Uh....ya guys, lets leave out the no. 1 single off of Achtung Baby.

namkcuR: I would do 2 releases, one with the first 2 discs for people who can't spend much on it and another with all 3 for hardcore fans. I pretty much agree with your song selection, don't know if it'll all fit though.

namkcuR said:
So come on, does anyone have anything to say about my three-disc 90-00 comp above?

Obviously you are ignoring ATYCLB's 2000 release date...

But I like it. Much better than the actual release. I shudder at the inclusion of Paint It Black and Fortunate Son, but that's just personal, since I hate those songs. To be complete, they would indeed have to be included.

miss becky said:

Obviously you are ignoring ATYCLB's 2000 release date...

Beautiful Day and Stuck have no place in a 90s best of. Not only was ATYCLB completely different from Achtung, Zooropa, Passengers and Pop; it would fit just as well in the Best of 2000 - 2010.

Zootlesque said:

Beautiful Day and Stuck have no place in a 90s best of. Not only was ATYCLB completely different from Achtung, Zooropa, Passengers and Pop; it would fit just as well in the Best of 2000 - 2010.

Exactly. It would've been like including The Fly and EBTTRT on 80-90. Ridiculous.

Zootlesque said:

Actually I have no problem with leaving off all the ATYCLB songs from a 1990-2000 compilation. I just thought it was interesting that Namkcur would completely omit any songs from that album.

miss becky said:

Actually I have no problem with leaving off all the ATYCLB songs from a 1990-2000 compilation. I just thought it was interesting that Namkcur would completely omit any songs from that album.

Have I ever said anything to the contrary? I have always thought BD and Stuck on 90-00 was a bad decision.

namkcuR said:

Have I ever said anything to the contrary? I have always thought BD and Stuck on 90-00 was a bad decision.

Um...I'm not disagreeing with you.

miss becky said:

Um...I'm not disagreeing with you.

Oh, I know. I'm just curious...I may have said something to the contrary and am not remembering it. I was just wondering. It's all good. :wink:

namkcuR: Have you ever said openly that you hated ATYCLB? Maybe she's having a dig at that? :shrug:

oh... and do you mind if I refer to you as Ruckman? Too much thinking is involved in typing namkcuR. :wink:

Zootlesque said:
namkcuR: Have you ever said openly that you hated ATYCLB? Maybe she's having a dig at that? :shrug:

oh... and do you mind if I refer to you as Ruckman? Too much thinking is involved in typing namkcuR. :wink:

Well...I never said I hated ATYCLB, just that I thought HTDAAB was far better than it. But you have to understand, my opinion on such things changes on all that time. That was my opinion for a while, but upon listening to ATYCLB again I thought it was probably better than HTDAAB. Then upon slightly re-arranging the track order of HTDAAB and listening to it again, I decided they were equal. And that's on unsturdy ground :wink:

You can refer to me like that if you want. If you type namkcuR, you don't neccessarily HAVE to capitalize the r.

Yeah I know exactly what you're saying. When ATYCLB first came out, I didn't like most of it. When HTDAAB came out, I liked it a lot more than ATYCLB. But when I listened to ATYCLB again a while back, I liked it more. It's got its own flavor.

I agree that ATYCLB should have been left off a nineties compilation....but if it was going to be on there, Elevation and Walk On were major omissions.

The fact that WGRYWH and The Fly was left out was a crime...I would have ommited Numb and the First Time, and put Gone on a B-side. Lemon isn't my favourite song, but it warranted a place on the compilation.

1980 - 1990 was near perfect for a compilation, except that Gloria should have been there since the only October song was "October" on the hidden track, and it represented the more spiritual side of U2. I would have nixed When Love Comes to Town.

Overall, 1980-90 was much more representative of U2 in the 80s than was 1990-2000 of the nineties.

I personally prefer 80-90 - but agree that Gloria should have been on it...

While I love Electrical Storm and Beautiful Day - I agree that they could have been saved for the 00-10 Best Of...

The 1980-90 disc is nearly perfect. I have a few quibbles, (the radio edits on Streets and NYD, where's Gloria?) but overall it's stupendous. Huge kudos for including non-single but essential material such as Bad.

1990-00 is about as bad as a Greatest Hits can get.
It is entirely unrespresentative of the decade. The songs individually are tremendous with the exception of THTBA which is mediocre but they don't capture the spirit of the 90's.
U2 ommitted their lead off single for the decade. The song that Bono claimed was the sound of the band chopping down the Joshua Tree: The Fly. Edge claimed they cut it because it "didn't hold up" but then included it on the European release. And then they played it on the Elevation Tour to huge audience response. A grevious error.

No Lemon. Lemon was U2's first (and only) number one dance hit in the U.S.. It was a single. It's not on the album. What??
Not to mention it encapsulating U2's adventurous spirit in the 90's.

No Please. Jeepers guys. This is just pathetic. Let me get this straight. It's a single. It's the one new song from Pop that everyone actually liked live. It's a song they chose to perform at the MTV Music Awards. And it's not on the Album. Apparently to make room for THTBA??

No IGWSHA. Again, a single and a beautiful single at that.

No LNOE. A single. A great live song. This is starting to get repetitive.

No WGRYWH. A single. A relatively popular one at that....

The biggest problem is that the Best of is too ballad heavy. The rock and experimental tracks were cut for the more traditional material. The First Time is a great song (and it would have made a great hidden track) but it isn't essential to Zooropa the way Lemon or Zoorapa are.

The 90's best of sounded like a U2 apologizing for the decade.
They included too many songs that were reminiscent of their 80's work.

Matthew_Page2000 said:
The biggest problem is that the Best of is too ballad heavy. The rock and experimental tracks were cut for the more traditional material.

The 90's best of sounded like a U2 apologizing for the decade.
They included too many songs that were reminiscent of their 80's work.

You hit the nail right on the head, my friend. They wanted to please EVERYBODY and compiled a safe collection of songs, leaving out the experimental stuff and including new mixes, as if apologizing for Pop. Fuckin' pathetic! As much as I like HTDAAB (and ATYCLB has kinda grown on me), I will never forgive U2 for this.

Well, I agree with many things said here. That the 80-90 seems more complete and the selection is good, and the 90-00's tracklist seems incomplete and it has many faults. The b-sides: 80-90 are ok but not perfect, 90-00 too many songs lost and too many remixes. So here's my "try" (with my personal tastes, of course) of better Best-Ofs:

Best Of 1980-1990

1. Pride / 2. New Year's Day / 3. With or without you / 4. I still haven't found / 5. Sunday bloody sunday / 6. Bad / 7. Where the streets have no name (album version) / 8. The unforgettable fire / 9. I will follow / 10. When love comes to town / 11. Gloria / 12. Desire / 13. Sweetest thing (single mix) / 14. Angel of Harlem / 15. All I want is you (+October or Scarlet)

The b-sides and extras 1980-1990

1. Spanish eyes / 2. 11 o'clock tick tock / 3. Sweetest thing / 4. The three sunrises / 5. Springhill mining disaster / 6. Love comes tumbling / 7. Dancing barefoot / 8. Everlasting love / 9. Unchained melody / 10. Deep in the heart / 11. Walk to the water / 12. Endless deep / 13. A room at the heartbreak hotel / 14. Party girl / 15. A celebration / 16. Fire or In God's country or One tree hill

Best Of 1990-2000

1. Even better than the real thing / 2. The fly / 3. Electrical storm (WO mix) / 4. Beautiful day / 5. Stay / 6. One / 7. Stuck in a moment / 8. Until the end of the world / 9. Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me / 10. Mysterious ways / 11. Discothèque / 12. Lemon (edit) / 13. Numb / 14. Staring at the sun / 15. The hands that built America / 16. Who's gonna ride your wild horses (temple bar mix) / 17. Miss Sarajevo

The b-sides and extras 1990-2000

1. Lady with the spinning head (extended mix) / 2. Dirty day (junk day mix) / 3. Electrical storm / 4. Summer rain / 5. Gone / 6. Your blue room / 7. Lemon (Lemonade mix) / 8. MoFo (Phunk Phorce edit) / 9. Even better than the real thing (Perfecto mix) / 10. Discothèque (Hexidecimal mix) / 11. Salome / 12. Please (single version) / 13. If God will send his angels (single version) / 14. The ground beneath her feet / 15. Paint it, black or Last night on earth (single version) / 16. Popmuzik (Popmart mix) / 17. Satellite of love or The first time

This was based on my tastes, but it could be (in my opinion) more comerciable than the real Best-Ofs. What do you think?:sexywink:

90-00

the remixes of the pop songs, especially staring at the sun, are infinitely better. the first time i heard that i thought "can this really be the same song?" I realized how unfinished staring really was.

Back
Top Bottom