Which Album Sounds the Most Dated Now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doubleU

Acrobat
Title is pretty self explanatory.

This is not a this album sucks, this album rocks :blahblah:

This is purely a thread about which albums sound the most dated to you, if any.

To me War is the only album I really can't listen to anymore, sounds extremely dated.

Good question...

I would probably say either Achtung Baby or Zooropa, even though they're at/near the top of my list of favorites.

Maybe it's the various systems which I use to listen to my music, but both albums sound extremely thin, tinny, and top-heavy. Not my style at all, as they sound very CD-ish.

I've been drooling over the remasters which will at some point obviously be released. Loveless is finally being remastered...so why not these???

War seems very outdated right now and believe it or not I need a break from the Bomb. I have listened to it soooo much since the grammys and I have explored every song on it up and down a thousand times. ATYCLB later songs are starting to sound more fresh to me though -- especially New York and When I Look At the World

War and Pop

War I haven't listened to in forever.

Pop is still one of my favorite albums, but some of the extra drum loops, trip hop moments, and what not sound a little dated to me.

war

used to be my favorite, dont care for it anymore

and cjboog, yeah im really loving New York these days
:drool:

well if you'd care to check my journal or the describe thread where i am currently talking to myself, you might know. :shifty:

:wink:

on topic, it's hard for me to listen to the war album although i like live versions of a lot of the songs. i mean, that fiddle on sunday bloody sunday...what is that? :tsk: and were they so low budget bono couldn't afford some nasal spray or something cos he sounds pretty awful on some of the songs.

What exactly is meant by 'dated'? Are we talking about albums that sound old and stale and generally not fresh, or are we talking about albums that just sound like they came from a certain time?

Assuming 'dated' means attached to a certain point in the past... I'm going to go with War. I do love it, but perhaps it sounds the most 'dated' because, as an album, it's the most limited in scope :shrug: thematically I mean. The fact that you can put your finger on a driving stimulus behind its formation (the situation in Northern Ireland) may contribute... just a thought.

War... it just seems so 80's. More so then anything else they did, anyway. By UF they were beyond the 80's sound for the most part and had created something timeless.

Boy.

Very new wave, especially A Day Without Me.

Still dated in a wonderful way :drool:

Canadiens1160 said:
Boy.

Very new wave, especially A Day Without Me.

Still dated in a wonderful way :drool:

Yeah the influences on Boy make themselves quite obvious... but the thing about Boy is if it were remastered it could be released today and do xtremely well, I think. The 80's throwback thing is in vogue, and I also think Boy has a certain spirit that makes it unique.

War...I can't listen to some of the songs on War anymore :huh:

It has to be War for me also.
I could never understand why it was always so rated and October so slated.
Don't get me wrong its a fantastic album, but it does sound a little tired, especially Red Light and Like a Song.
I'm sure though that it will be due a renaissance in a few years, like Boy is currently enjoying and hopefully October will soon.

Back
Top Bottom