Which album should U2 revisit next in their tour/s ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Considering U2 re-played much of Boy and Achtung Baby on the last tour, and assuming the trend of rediscovering albums continues, which album would you like to see U2 play more on the next tour(s) ? Taking the realistic choices in consideration :

- the oldies (War, UF)

- the american albums (JT, Rattle and Hum) - JT's side two, that is. And something other than the "3 regulars" from Rattle and Hum.

- the experimental era (Zooropa, Pop)

Last edited:
For the main set, I would advocate a return of UF material, along with Surrender from War (like how Gloria joined the Boy lovefest). Songs like ASOH, Wire, and the title track are just crying out to be played. U2 could be really daring and bring back Indian Summer Sky, or debut The Three Sunrises. And to return to Boy a bit, I keep saying that a one-two punch of Twilight/Wire early in the set (e.g. fourth and fifth) would absolutely slay.

As for the first encore, U2 could do something really exciting with fancy lighting and such by bringing back some Zooropa tracks. Just imagine if they finally got Zooropa, the song, right. Use the "Babel" intro to open the encore (like how Vertigo had the slot machines or Elevation had things like the gun speech) and play Zooropa --> Lemon --> Dirty Day.

play on next tour:

I threw a brick
Seconds
Two hearts
Surrender
A sort of homecoming
Unforgettable Fire
Indian SUmmer Sky (just a fantasy)
One Tree Hill (people outside of New Zealand like that song too)
Exit (The Badass Version)
Heartland (again, just a fantasy)
God Part II
Ultraviolet
Acrobat
Zooropa
Lemon
Stay
Dirty Day
The Wanderer
Discotheque
Mofo
If God will send his angels (reworked version of course)
Staring at the sun
Last night on earth
Gone
Please
Wake up dead man (full version, full band)
HMTMKMKM

Axver said:
For the main set, I would advocate a return of UF material, along with Surrender from War (like how Gloria joined the Boy lovefest). Songs like ASOH, Wire, and the title track are just crying out to be played. U2 could be really daring and bring back Indian Summer Sky, or debut The Three Sunrises. And to return to Boy a bit, I keep saying that a one-two punch of Twilight/Wire early in the set (e.g. fourth and fifth) would absolutely slay.

As for the first encore, U2 could do something really exciting with fancy lighting and such by bringing back some Zooropa tracks. Just imagine if they finally got Zooropa, the song, right. Use the "Babel" intro to open the encore (like how Vertigo had the slot machines or Elevation had things like the gun speech) and play Zooropa --> Lemon --> Dirty Day.

:drool: :drool: :drool: all around! :applaud:

I'd kill to have ASOH, Surrender, Drowning Man, and Wire in there regularly, and I've been saying that Zooropa would be the best encore opener for some time.

The Three Sunrises.....:combust:

they should play a little bit of War (the hits, refugee, seconds), and all of pop and zooropa (not wanderer out of respect for cash, unless they play it as a tribute every so often)

This felt so damn good to read.

I think it really depends on what the next album is like. If any of the older albums fit with the new them (IE they way they felt Boy fit with the Bomb songs) that is what will get revisited.

What I would like to see is material from The Unforgettable Fire revisited. IE A Sort Of Homecoming and The Unforgettable Fire. I also wouldnt mind if they went to some deeper cuts from The Joshua Tree on a consistant basis. IE Exit, In God's Country (full band) and One Tree Hill.

Honorable mention would be cuts of Rattle and Hum. Desire (full band electric), God Part II (this is my new dream song for them to do since Electric Co was done on Vertigo) and maybe Hawkmoon 269.

Axver said:

Oh yeah :drool: :drool: :drool:

It's hard to argue with any of that :drool: :drool: :drool:

Depending on the show and on the setlist.
In one show they could play some Pop and Zooropa tunes, and on the other one bring back Rattle&Hum and The Unforgettable Fire, for instance...

there's no point in bringing back tracks that never really did sound al that great live anyway
Unforgettable Fire and Zooropa are in my top 3 favourite U2 albums list, but A sort of homecoming, Unforgettable Fire, Zooropa etc all fell flat compared to the album versions IMO

they were able to play some kick arse versions of Wire, Surrender, I threw a brick and Rejoice back in the day
so I'd love to hear those again

UF, zooropa and pop definitely. Maybe even some rattle and hum like god part II, that would be awesome.

I really hope they`ll revisit UF.

But if they are gonna revisit POP , they`ll better play Gone , Mofo and....LNOE.

Cheers ,

Mauwer

p.s. Can they revisit October like Boy? , and will they pull it of?

I always thought Lemon could be tweaked and rocked-up a bit if they wanted to avoid the original artiness of the song. Edge's guitar/keyboard mix could become a really big natural tremelo sound (ala the Smiths' "How Soon is Now" maybe) and the drums could go heavier. The bass, of course, is stellar already.

This won't happen.

I honestly can't see much of the suggestions happening, but I was pretty surprised with An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart on Vertigo, so I guess anything can happen. Unless they felt burned by that experience.

ahittle said:

I honestly can't see much of the suggestions happening, but I was pretty surprised with An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart on Vertigo . . . .

My favorite! I was in tears when I heard the opening guitar.

But you notice it didn't last very long on the tour. When it comes to older material, if it wasn't a huge hit, they usually won't play it at all, and if they do it's only a once-off or occasional thing.

I'd be happy with more Pop, Zooropa or Unforgettable Fire. Preferably more from all three. :drool:

So, those of you who like my UF and Zooropa encore ideas, can any of you pull some strings and convince U2 they need to hire a random 20 year old guy from New Zealand as their setlist designer? :wink:

Salome said:
there's no point in bringing back tracks that never really did sound al that great live anyway
Unforgettable Fire and Zooropa are in my top 3 favourite U2 albums list, but A sort of homecoming, Unforgettable Fire, Zooropa etc all fell flat compared to the album versions IMO

Are you insane? The 21 March 1985 performance of The Unforgettable Fire is superior to the studio version in every possible way.

Axver said:
Are you insane? The 21 March 1985 performance of The Unforgettable Fire is superior to the studio version in every possible way.
insane? maybe!

don't know whether I heard that specific performance
I do know that most live versions I heard of that songs felt like they were lacking

Lara Mullen said:
insane? maybe!

don't know whether I heard that specific performance
I do know that most live versions I heard of that songs felt like they were lacking

See, apart from lacking the album's beautiful outro, I think almost every UF performance has quite effortlessly outshone the album version. I'll have to dig out a copy of 21 March 1985 though, it's truly exceptional.

U2FanPeter said:
Wasn't Sort of Homecoming played live Dublin/Slane #1 2001 and shockingly few people knew the song?

Given how Bono completely butchered the lyrics, I can't say I blame them.

Maybe they could introduce a string/violin section to come and play with them for The Unforgettable Fire, like the brass section that came on for When Loves Comes To Town and Angel Of Harelm on the Lovetwon Tour.

The reason UF wasn't great on the JT tour is because it is a big sounding song and requires the same treatment as City Of Blinding Lights and Streets, they never really did it justice back in the 80s with just the four of them. Maybe they could rework it somehow and with the news of extra musicians being brought in for recording sessions on the new album, why not introduce some extra musicians to come on stage for one or two songs on the next tour.

I would also say that Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me didn't really work on the PopMart tour for the same reason. It didn't have the same epic sound as on record and was too stripped down for my liking. I'd like to see that come back and how about Night and Day.

By your categories, I vote the experimentals. It's high time U2 tries something experimental live again. I'm not talking the whole show, but at least a few songs somewhere.

UF is also sorely underrepresented live these days. They should put Pride on the shelf for the next tour and bring back A Sort of Homecoming and The Unforgettable Fire. I could also see MLK being used as a lead-in to some sort of video clilp in the human rights portion of the show (is it safe to assume there will be a human rights portion to the next tour? I think it is).

Thanksandy said:

I would also say that Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me didn't really work on the PopMart tour for the same reason. It didn't have the same epic sound as on record and was too stripped down for my liking. I'd like to see that come back and how about Night and Day.
Didnt work? Dear god i love the popmart version, raw guitar stuff.. :drool: :drool: :drool:

I'd pick the American albums. I'd like to hear more of side 2 from JT (we got IGC, MOTD and OTH on the last two tours - how about Trip through your wires and Exit ?) and anything off Rattle and Hum that isn't Desire, Angel of Harlem or AIWIY.

:hmm: American desert/Morocco desert link ?

Salome has a point that unlike most of U2's albums, most of UF and Zooropa wasn't improved live. War probably won't be revisited unless they have a political album next. I don't think we heard the last of Pop.

Last edited:
They've gotten pretty comfortable with the sequencing these days. UF could definitely be done well. And as much as I would love to hear A Sort of Homecoming, Bono could never, ever hit those notes. That song is all over the place.

I know they have to appeal to the casual fans, so there are some deeper JT cuts that would work well.

They should play some Zooropa songs live so that the inevitable double disc special edition isn't an overdoes of remixes.

I think the "album revisit" depends on what the new studio album sounds like and what "Bono voice" we get in 2008/09.

u2fp

when I was listening to Discothéque and Mofo on my ipod today I thought how awesome it would be if there would be a Pop encore next tour! The Vertigo version of Discothéque was absolutely rockin' and I bet Mofo would've been awesome too!

Back
Top Bottom