Which album should I get next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Get Pop.

Don't listen to people who tell you it's crap.

By the same token, don't listen to people who tell you it's brilliant.

I think it's brilliant, that's why I'm recommending it, but that doesn't mean you will.

Last edited:
Well folks, I finally gave into my momentary obsession with Lemon and Numb and ended up buying Zooropa.

Thanks for all of the comments though, and know that my future album-buying decisions have been influenced heavily. The next three albums I get will definately be War, Boy, and Pop (though, not necessarily in that order). I was actually really surprised at how varied everyone's suggestions were. I guess that's just a testament to the brilliance of U2's music though, eh? :wink:

So once again, thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. Now I'm off to listen to Zooropa. :wave:

Edit: AH! Lemon's seven minutes long?!? I had only heard the single version before. Wow. I've seriously been missing out. :drool:

Last edited:
I'm just now reading this thread, so I'll give you my opinion on your next purchase. I would recommend War. On any given day, it could be my favorite U2 album (my favorite is not always the same).

As for Zooropa, I was going to advise you to get it because that's the one that you wanted! It may take some getting used to though. I certainly thought that Zooropa would end up in the bottom of my closet somewhere when I first heard it. I already loved Achtung Baby, but my ears were still not ready for the world of Zooropa. I just kept playing it though, and I grew to love it. Like some others have said, it's not going to blow up your speakers, but nonetheless, it's a great, great album.

Basically, you can't go wrong with any of U2's CDs. I bought Rattle and Hum first, followed by War. That's not the most popular way to start off a U2 collection, but it sure worked for me.

Boy and October.

Anyone who puts 'October' down is a pillock who probably hasn't even heard it and is following the crowd.

blahblahblah said:
Boy and October.

Anyone who puts 'October' down is a pillock who probably hasn't even heard it and is following the crowd.

October is awesome! I never understood why it's the least favorite for many people. If I actually had to pick a worst, I would say ATYCLB... even though I think it has some very good tracks. But October is full of energy, for eg. Gloria, Rejoice, With A Shout, Is That All. Plus I Fall Down, Tomorrow and the title track are just gorgeous. :yes:

Hehe, sounds a lot like my buying order, lol. Glad to hear you bought Zooropa. I'd say buy Pop next, just so you can hear what all the talk is about and make up your own mind. Plus, it seems like you might like that period of music the band made the best.

Then after that, buy War and the earlier albums and get R&H and Passengers somewhere along that. Good luck!

I aint gonna be able to give you one. I'll pick 3.

War, Rattle and Hum and Zoorpa.

Out of the three I;d say pick up Zooropa as it's the most unique and different sound.

Although if you want a safe pick of stuff you like then either War or R and H is fine.

Let us know your thoughts on Zooropa so far. Btw, where are you at in SC? I'm in GSP area.

U2girl said:
Buy War - it's the album that has the first classic U2 songs, it broke them out of the anonimity and Bono really begins to shine out as the singer/lyricist.

The answer definitely is the "War" LP, there is nothing like it...it's a U2 classic and the best "earlier" LP that U2 ever made. Plus, this album...when compared to "Boy" or "October" is the LP that Bono "finally found his voice". After you hear it...you'll know why I say this...("New Year's Day" was all it took for me to become a U2 fan.) Secondly, I'd definitely say the "Pop" LP. Why?? Cuz the songs "Mofo" and "Gone" are GREAT "rockers", and some of the other tunes will blow you away. :drool: :drool:

you're going to get all of them eventually, all u2 albums are great. I'd go with BOY because you can see how the band started, then go up chronologically and see how they developed.

Don't get Boy. It'll scare you away since the quality of that record is much lower than their other work. You like early stuff then War owns everything.
You like Achtung then you must hear its "cousin" Zooropa.

I say Zooropa. But not Boy!!!

I can't imagine anyone saying they're a U2 fan without owning War, but it was my introduction to them so I guess I am biased. It remains my favorite U2 album. I'll explain why:

In the old album days, records were divvied up into sides, and War's first side packed a punch. It was:

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Seconds
New Year's Day
Like a Song
Drowning Man

4 out of 5 songs that are unique, that penetrate you, that make you think about them during the day, that you quote (well 5 of 5 then.) Most albums (excluding U2 albums) maybe have 1 or 2 of these "A" songs, and here the 1st side of War has 4 of them.

The 2nd side is good also, just not good as the first side
Refugee
Two Hearts Beat as One
Red Light
Surrender

I would also classify Two Hearts and 40 as A list songs.

Get this album!! You won't regret it.

God Part III said:
Don't get Boy. It'll scare you away since the quality of that record is much lower than their other work. You like early stuff then War owns everything.
You like Achtung then you must hear its "cousin" Zooropa.

I say Zooropa. But not Boy!!!

The quality of that record is most certainly NOT much lower than their other work! I think it's one of their best five records(well, for me it's tied with HTDAAB for 5th place).

I Will Follow
An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart
Out Of Control
Stories For Boys
A Day Without Me
Another Time Another Place
The Electric Co.

All great rock songs. And let's not forget this record had a little b-side called 11 O'Clock Tick Tock. :wink:

Seems to me like you missed him saying he already has bought Zooropa...wait till he comments about it and continue the discussion;)

Ah, Zooropa. It's definately an interesting album - no question about that. It doesn't sound like anything else that I've heard from U2. It's also definately one of those albums that grows on you the more that you listen to it. But, as of right now, I'm really liking it, and it's battling HTDAAB for my #3 spot on my favorite U2 albums list (the first two being Joshua Tree and UF, repectively).

As far as the next album that I get, I like what everyone's saying about War and Pop especially, so I'll probably end up pickup up one of those next. Once again, thank you all for your suggestions, it's really helpd me out. :)

Oh, and to the person who asked about my area in South Carolina, I'm located near Charleston. And I'm not sure where exactly you mean by "the GSP area." Nice to hear of more U2 fans from SC, though. :)

GSP = Greenville-Spartanburg

You're more of a man than I if you're already liking Zooropa. It took me a while to really warm up to it, just like most of Pink Floyd's early stuff.

Back
Top Bottom