Which album is better, Zooropa or Pop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

discothequeLP

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Zooropa and Pop. Neiter were U2's most successful albums (sales-wise), but hey, now we get to pick one of the two.

I like Zooropa better. I love Lemon, Dirty Day, Some Days, Babyface, hell, I could go on forever. The Wanderer is a little funky, but the band does an excellent, kickin' live version of Zooropa. It's awesome.

Pop, on the other hand, was way to funky. The Playboy Mansion was a little wierd, Do You Feel Loved didn't float my boat, and Miami was just a joke.

What do you think?

discothequeLP said:
and Miami was just a joke.

This is the 3rd time this week I happen to like miami but I know I am in the minority on this.

As for the topic its like apples and oranges...

Pop - I don't much like the album version of Miami, but I was listening to the Tel Aviv show, and it was great. Mofo blows me away every time, album version or live.

Zooropa - I never listened to The Wanderer until recently, so it's still growing on me. I remember hearing Zooropa for the first time, which also blew me away.

If I had to choose... I'd go with Pop. For today, at least.
I'd like to say I like them equally, since both albums have some phenomenal tracks, but today Pop is the winner in my books. :wink:

Zooropa is the greatest album of all time, pure and simple...
Pop is a truly great album... Some better individual songs than Zoorppa but overall it dosent hang together quite as well as Zooropa...
Give me either over the Joshua Tree any day...!

And Mimi ROCKS!!

Hmm ... tough call. In terms of individual songs, most of Pop's songs were better than Zooropa's, but Zooropa didn't have Miami, far and away the STUPIDEST, MOST PATHETIC, WRETCHED, TERRIBLE song U2 has ever made. Why the hell they were allowed to put that on the CD is beyond me. It would've coped perfectly fine without it.

Usually I rank Pop higher than Zooropa on those "Rank U2's albums" threads, so yes, I'm going to go with Pop as the best, but Miami nearly ruins it for me.

You can only judge the album in the context from which it was written... it's quite an unfair comparison when these conceptual records came from different mindsets. Similar goals, different approaches...

They both had great moments; don't degrade them because one song might not have aged well in the U2 canon. That's an irresponsible evaluation to the music, and a disrespect to the artist.

Justice!

:up:

I'm going to have to go with Pop. Zooropa's a great CD, but Pop just finds its way into my CD players more often than zooropa...

maybe it's all the pretty colors on the CD itself, I'm unsure. :happy:

When POP came out, to say I was disappointed would have been an understatement. Now, after I've aged a bit, I understand it better, I think if you come back and ask this Q again next year, some of the opinions here may change, isn't that part of the beauty of the band's music?

Pop for me. I can't find one song off that album I even remotely dislike, let alone hate. Every song does something for me.

Don't get me wrong, Zooropa isn't bad at all...I love most of the songs on there, too (like "Stay"...:drool:...)...but that album has what's probably my least favorite U2 song on it, which is "Some Days Are Better Than Others".

Angela

hmm, one of my favourite U2 albums
and my least favourite U2 album (though still a good album blahblah)

I need some more time to think this over

:sigh:

Again?

Personally I prefer Zooropa (it's right behind Achtung Baby on my list of favourite U2 albums) over Pop. Pop's also in my personal top 5, so there's no need to bash the album.

C ya!

Marty

pop by far.

and as for miami, i used to hate it but now its my 2nd favourite song on the album, behind please.

Hmm..the cheap whorishness of Pop, its utter classlessness and overall tackiness as well as the fact it is probably the worst in songwriting and musicianship the band has ever done, gets me every time. Zooropa though is much more polished. It is a better listen.

Just so you know too discothequeLP, the debate over Pop comes up every so often around here and causes more arguments than anything else. Oh, except Bono's hair which was at its worst during the Pop era...:lol: I kid. So that's why there's some negativity in here, its not you. :)

Zooropa is infinitely better. Zooropa was made in ten weeks yet it achieved more than what POP could do despite two years in the studio and the biggest stadium tour follow up.

Zooropa won a Grammy, Pop didn't. Zooropa had what Bono said was "one of the most beautiful songs we've ever written" in Stay, while all POP had was in Bono's immortal words "unfinished" work. Zooropa sold more than POP in the US, and matched or bettered POP worldwide.

Of course I am just talking about statistics and quotes from Bono. If you wanna talk about the subjective issue which is musical and lyrical quality, it is no contest - Zooropa puts POP to shape.

Cheers,

J

Leeloo said:
I've never heard of a Pop vs Zooropa fight! :laugh:

LOL, neither have I. I've heard of (and been a part of some threads that dealt with this) Pop versus All That You Can't Leave Behind fights, but never a fight between these two albums being discussed here.

Personally, I don't see why so many people fight in regards to Pop versus any of the other albums. Everyone has their own preferences.

Angela Harlem, that's also true about the look during the Pop era-it's weird, though, that's not my favorite era looks-wise, and yet Pop is in my top 5 as far as U2's albums go. :shrug:.
Go figure.

Angela

jick said:
Zooropa is infinitely better. Zooropa was made in ten weeks yet it achieved more than what POP could do despite two years in the studio and the biggest stadium tour follow up.

Zooropa won a Grammy, Pop didn't. Zooropa had what Bono said was "one of the most beautiful songs we've ever written" in Stay, while all POP had was in Bono's immortal words "unfinished" work. Zooropa sold more than POP in the US, and matched or bettered POP worldwide.

Of course I am just talking about statistics and quotes from Bono. If you wanna talk about the subjective issue which is musical and lyrical quality, it is no contest - Zooropa puts POP to shape.

Cheers,

J

what happened to j, "the king of pop"? :scratch:

Back
Top Bottom