Which album is better, Zooropa or Pop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zooropa. Listened to Pop and pretty quickly put it down. Maybe it like the Christmas tree in "Merry Christmas Charlie Brown" where all it needs is a little love (and a lot of ornaments to cover the patches), but in my mind its just a mess of an album (by U2's standards).

(but not like really bad) ;)

I really liked some of Pop's tracks. Some were brilliant and not a single track I didn't like. ( even Miami :) ) but for some reason, I always approach it with caution. Some tracks sounded really empty. Mofo for instance, when compared to the Live Performance from Mexico City, it is awful. The Mexico City version was absolutley mind-blowing to me. The Guitar and quick moving, but hammering beat made for a GREAT show opener. One of the many songs that makes me feel a chill down my spine. I always though that expression was a load of rubbish. But it seriously does. I know when music is truly special when it gives me the 'chill'....;)

God some people really HATE Pop!! How mad is that!!??!!! And even stranger is the completely rabid hatred that some people have for Miami...

Some people really need to broaden their musical horizons...

Two stunningly stunning albums... What more could you want...

Zoocoustic said:
Zooropa.

I like the songs better.

I like the videos better.

I liked the "look" better.

I liked the tour better.

Ditto for me! :up:

pop

i like the songs better.

i like the videos better.

i liked the "look" better.

i liked the tour better.

MrBTH said:
And even stranger is the completely rabid hatred that some people have for Miami...

I don't see why it's deplorable to hate what's truly an awful song. If the terrible singing, awful lyrics, stupid meaning, or annoying music doesn't get you, the "My mammy" bit definitely does. I'd like to shoot that song into the sun. I hope its last night on earth comes very soon and is then gone, please.

i like miami! :hyper:

it blows ya away live, just spectacular, hopefully they will bring it back this tour :up:

Miami will be the show opener for the 2004 tour.

miami on the album was bland, but live it rocked.

that said- POP was the better album.

as friar said, i liked the look, tour, and songs better. i dont really care about the videos, just gimme music...

i like every single song on pop, but miami was bland album version, but the live version makes up for it. most of my favorite songs come off pop...

Zooropa. That's been my favorite U2 album to listen to lately. It's *amazing*. It does more to "push the envelope" and be original than Pop does. I do like Pop but not as much.

GARY#2 said:
You can only judge the album in the context from which it was written... it's quite an unfair comparison when these conceptual records came from different mindsets. Similar goals, different approaches...

They both had great moments; don't degrade them because one song might not have aged well in the U2 canon. That's an irresponsible evaluation to the music, and a disrespect to the artist.

Justice!

:up:

One of those "Wish I had said That" moments". Love POP and and for the second time this week alone - Miami - and Zooropa.
Well said Gary#2 :cool:

A hard question, to me they both have an equal share of great and not-so-great moments. Zooropa has "Stay" but POP has "Gone"; Zooropa has "Some Days Are Better Than Others" but then POP has got "Miami". I'd probably give a very slight preference to POP in the end.

Last edited:
I think that there?s no such thing as a better album, each one of them affects and touches people in different ways. In my case, I appreciate Zooropa, a lot. But I definitely love Pop, very much.

MT

follower said:
I think that there?s no such thing as a better album, each one of them affects and touches people in different ways. In my case, I appreciate Zooropa, a lot. But I definitely love Pop, very much.

MT

I love your answer and I agree. I will only add that "Miami" is a neat/cool song. Thumbs up for MIAMI!

I'll rather go with Zooropa because of its specific and bare ambient,and of course...NUMB!LEMON!DADDY!ZOOROPA!WANDERER!BABYFACE..........
hell,I'm losing it:wink:
but on POP,there's MoFo that kicks serious ass,Last Night and Gone,well Discotheque also,but Zooropa takes the win for sure.

Has to be Pop. Last Night on Earth, Gone, Staring at the Sun, Please, Mofo (the live version), better than anything on Zooropa (except maybe Dirty Day). I can even forgive the inclusion of Miami, what utter rubbish (though it does sound much better live).

Ok lets do a comparitive study.

Zooropa -> Z
Pop -> P

1) Zooropa Vs Discotheque --> Zooropa win hands down ! Z leads 1-0 over P

2) Babyface Vs DYFL --> P equalizes with DYFL , both have heavy basslines... but DYFL wins rather easily.

3) Numb Vs Mofo --> P score another winner but its probably it was pitted against a weaker Z song. P leads 2-1

4)Lemon Vs If God Will Send His Angels --> really close call. Lemon wins narrowly..I am not trying to make this interesting..its 2-2 now

5) Stay Vs Staring at the Sun --> Another one for zooropa.. 3-2 zooropa

6) Daddy Vs LNO --> P equalizes 3-3

7) Someday Vs Gone --> P leads 4-3

8) 1st time Vs Miami --> zooropa equalizes again 4-4

9) dirty day vs Playboy Mansion --> zooropa leads 5-4

10) wanderer Vs If You Wear That Velvet Dress --> 6-4

Pop scores 2 winners with please & dead man... 6-6 tied..

:|

Zooropa vs Pop. Hmm...

Even though these are my two least favorite U2 albums, they're both still pretty good. (Kind of like Mae West's quote about sex, right? ;) ) Both have two tracks that I always skip -- Some Days and The First Time on Zooropa, Miami and Playboy Mansion on Pop. Both have some absolutely brilliant songs -- Stay and Dirty Day on Zooropa, Staring and Gone on Pop.

I've been listening to Zooropa a lot lately; it suits the weird, melancholy dark mood I've been in. Pop is in a similar vein, despite the title.

So, though I think U2 could've done a better job on both of them, I'd still give :up: to both of them.

i like them both ver well, but if i had to chose i would go with zooropa. the zooropa album is very atmospheric just i just love every minute of it. pop is a great album but on some of the songs i prefer the single versions. (those songs are last night on earth, if go will send his angels, and please).

Back
Top Bottom