Which 3 songs are the best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Sage

War Child
Briefly...I absolutely have to hear these new songs, but I also want to have something left on Nov 22 to get properly excited about, so i'm going to download 3 tracks and save the rest for when I buy the album...

So which 3 should I look for? Which 3 are utterly unmissable? (apart from Vertigo, of course)

Your recommendations please :D

I think everyone on this board can agree on Original Of The Species.
Many will mention Miracle Drug, it's very overrated in my opinion, I'd go for OOTS, City Of Blinding Lights and All Because of You/Crumbs From Your Table.

I'd say download the three most generally disliked and then go from there. That way the most amazing songs will REALLY get you when you get the album. The most unpopular ones seem to be "Yahweh," "One Step Closer," and... I dunno. Seems people are sorta kinda iffy split about "A Man and a Woman" and "Crumbs From Your Table" :shrug:

Last edited:
Miracle Drug, City of Blinding Lights, Original Of the Species

These are the homeruns, in my humble opinion. Other tracks have a more subtle greatness that the hardcore U2 fans would appreciate more.

Hawk269 said:
Miracle Drug, City of Blinding Lights, Original Of the Species

These are the homeruns, in my humble opinion. Other tracks have a more subtle greatness that the hardcore U2 fans would appreciate more.

If you go by the poll conducted yesterday, then those would be the top 3, though Sometimes... and Love and Peace were just barely edged out.

I'll come at this one from both sides and see if I can or can't help...

3 Best Tracks (not including "Vertigo"):
"Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own"--Especially if you dug on "Kite" or "Stuck" the last time around...maybe even "Stay," from back in the old days.
"Love and Peace or Else"--Pop/Zooropa-esque
"City of Blinding Lights"--Old school...back to '84, here.

3 "Worst" Tracks:
"A Man and a Woman"--I think this is an honest-to-God train-wreck of a song, but that's just me...worst I've ever heard from the band, maybe.
"Miracle Drug"--Not a bad song, but (for me) wickedly overrated. SOOOOOO predictable. Well-done but by the numbers to a crazy degree.
"Crumbs From Your Table"--This is a good song, but is again HIGHLY predictable. Basically just "Son of Walk On."

I only think there's one truly BAD song on this album...otherwise, it's just a matter of which songs are sort of boring/predictable. Most everything (minus a TON of the lyrics) are well-written and agreeable...maybe just too standard, a lot of the time. It's U2 done well by U2 on two of my three so-called "worst" ones; nothing new, nothing exciting, but still predictability done well.

If you shout... said:

3 "Worst" Tracks:
"A Man and a Woman"--I think this is an honest-to-God train-wreck of a song, but that's just me...worst I've ever heard from the band, maybe.
"Miracle Drug"--Not a bad song, but (for me) wickedly overrated. SOOOOOO predictable. Well-done but by the numbers to a crazy degree.
"Crumbs From Your Table"--This is a good song, but is again HIGHLY predictable. Basically just "Son of Walk On."

Of course, Miracle Drug was number 1 in the poll by a large margin. Everyone has there own opinion but this is the most reliable way to see the consensus.

I'm in the minority as well, but I too think Miracle Drug is overrated.

For me right now, I'm enjoying:

Original of the Species - One of their best ever
Crumbs
City of Blinding Lights

dandy said:
pick three at random and go for it. trust me, you can't go wrong, and you will not be disappointed.

That may be the best advice I have heard.

thanks for the suggestions, guys :)

So far i've got Yahweh, I had to hear this one because IMO for me to love an album the closing song must be great. My early opinion on it is the music is very good but the vocals leave a bit to be desired, but I like it and it should grow on me.

Now i'm also getting City Of Blinding Lights (had to after people compared it to UF sounds) and either Miracle Drug or A Man and a Woman. I'm going to challenge myself to save Original Of The Species for the release

:)

My three favorites: Yahweh, City of Blinding Lights, Miracle Drug

The songs I think are the "best": Love and Peace Or Else, Miracle Drug, All Because of You

ack! I'm going to quick hit reply before I start second guessing myself...

dandy said:
pick three at random and go for it. trust me, you can't go wrong, and you will not be disappointed.

Perfectly said.

Even if I were to suggest what I would call my bottom 3, One Step Closer, All Because of You, and Crumbs..., you would be hearing a fantastic set of songs.

Yahweh is just perfect, reminds me of the October album a lot....
SYCMIOYO is inbetween Stuck (that I don't like) and One (my best)
For the third one..... mmmm i don't have Crumbs and OOTS.... so SEND IT TO ME PLEASSSSSSSEEEEEEEEE........

but without those 2, Miracle Drug!!!

Thanks... barbitapoulette@yahoo.fr

Hey Michael,

I am glad to see some appreciation for OSC!!! It is unmercifully underrated aroung here. Every album should have at least one song like it.

As for my personal 3 best

As of now:
1) SYCMIOYO
2) Crumbs
3) One Step Closer

Hoodlem said:
Hey Michael,

I am glad to see some appreciation for OSC!!! It is unmercifully underrated aroung here. Every album should have at least one song like it.
I completely agree. I don't understand how so many hardcore U2 fans could not see the brilliance of this song. But they will. Thematically, it's the most important song on the album. It's the album's 'Running to Stand Still' or 'The First Time. Reminds me of Smashing Pumpkins' 'Thirty-Three' in a way. Also reminds me of 'Hurt' performed by Johnny Cash or 'Burned out Car' sung by Sarah MacLachlan. That type of song.

Last edited:
It's really amazing to see how everyone likes different songs... every song on the album as been named on this thread so far. Clearly a sign that the album is really strong.

I think for now my top 3 would be COBL, LAPOE, ABOY. But it's really hard to make a top three. Every song on the album is really good in its own way.

I have to say, I'm a bit surprised to see how people *love* OOTS. It's a good song, but I don't think it's that amazing. I find the verses pretty poor, actually, I wish the song was just the chorus...
Miracle Drug is maybe also a bit overatted. Awesome track, but fairly predictable, and not as strong as WOWY, that's for sure.

City of Blinding Lights is the runaway favorite for me. It has an epic feel to it and I think it stands the tallest amongst this group.

As for the other two, that changes periodically as the new album grows on me. My answer today may be completely different next week. But here goes...

2. Miracle Drug - Very interesting song. I'm not quite sure why I like it, but there is just something very compelling about it. The structure feels a bit unconventional to me, which I like.

3. The third choice is difficult for me, but I'd go with Origin of the Species, just beating out ABOY & Crumbs. I think Origin will be a real crowd pleaser. And like Miracle Drug, it has an interesting flow.

Oddly enough, the only song I can't get into yet is SYCMIOYO, and so I'd recommend holding off on this one for now. I like the lyrics, I like the falsetto delivery of those two verses, but the rest isn't doing anything for me at this point. It's gotta be a matter of time with this one.

i think for me COBL is the clear #1 on the album, but after that it gets a bit tricky, and seems like everything else is almost even

Back
Top Bottom