Where's the damned new U2 album? Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd take Larry's quote about finishing by the end of the year fairly seriously though.

First Larry said September and then a couple of months later Bono said December and now a couple of more months later Larry is agreeing December. Hopefully as August and September finishes the deadline still stays December.

I wake up this morning to see 5 new pages since I last posted, and so I think to myself, "oh there must be some news."

Instead, Larry went to a baseball game and repeated the standard company line to a random fan, and now people are going bananas saying we wont get an album this year, etc.

I love the smell of interference in the morning :sexywink:

I don't think U2 would play a unfinished album to their closest associates and friends. Or having Bono flock to France and Larry to NY baseball game unless they're done. Or having that meeting months age with Steve Averill for the album cover design.

There's still time for a November/December album. And a September single to jump out of nowhere.

This. And as far as people "running their yap", ever hear of confidentiality agreements? U2 wouldn't be the first to use them by far. And anyone at Universal with any shred of respect for the band will sign them and keep quiet.

It's no different than say, working for a survey panel and getting to test new products before they hit the market.

I still say it's done. Or close to it. We all know Edge is all that is needed for final mixing anyways. So Bono can enjoy France with Ali and Larry can go to Yankee games. And it doesn't mean we all run like this:
tumblr_md1rnigM0w1r2q56co1_250.gif

And if it really is because of Adam's "reported" wedding that they're taking their time, and not because they're lost with recording? After all, they're stars in their 50's, no reason to rush for the release. I rather see a pause of calm in this sense, than a lost confidence.

Edit: just saw that Adam's wedding is a made up rumour, sorry. Not enough into gossip here.
'

:lol: *points to icon* That's about the only marriage going on. You're welcome.

I wake up this morning to see 5 new pages since I last posted, and so I think to myself, "oh there must be some news."

Instead, Larry went to a baseball game and repeated the standard company line to a random fan, and now people are going bananas saying we wont get an album this year, etc.

I love the smell of interference in the morning :sexywink:

Yeah, Larry is just as good as deflection as anyone else. "It's not quite finished" is just Larry-speak for "Edge is obsessing over every little microsecond again." Remember all the re-released albums? EDGE did all that singlehandedly! Without any of the others even needing to be in the studio! Let's not throw up our hands and panic. *see above GIF*

I'm going to just go ahead and say it. End of November release. Week of Black Friday, with big box stores running doorbusters on deluxe versions and apps that hit Black Friday at midnight for bonus material.

I'd take Larry's quote about finishing by the end of the year fairly seriously though.

:up: So do I...but that would imply they still intend to record. So who'll be producing? Is DM gonna swing back to Dublin, or does the spectre of Lillywhite still loom large despite his frequent denials :hmm:

Lets not let the fact that the rooftop thing wasnt actually an album wrap up party get in the way of some good conjecture..

I mean, guys, which credible source said mixing was done? Just curious.

Cause a couple of sources who actually heard the album said that they were listening to unfinished product. One even said what they heard was "without synths" ..."without synths"???? A U2 album, no less? Lol what do people think they do, drop random synths on top of final mixes?

The album wasnt done mixing in June when people were being given sneak preview listens. Nah.

Yet that's what was being reported, mixing and wrap up party. Only some photographers at the time iirc claimed it's nowhere near done.
You think U2 would drop a non finished product to fans and close associates to listen to ?

There is no source saying any recording/mixing is being done post the Electric Lady reports, last minute mixing on the lead single could still happen. Traditionally the last thing to add to a U2 record are the vocals. If "aiming for September" turns to November or December, that is still within the "this year" timeframe we've consistently been hearing.

Did it occur to anyone that for Larry, perhaps finalizing the artwork and photography, shooting the first video, making tour arrangements, and doing interviews with certain publications is part of "finishing" the album?

It might be mixed and getting mastered shortly, but that doesn't mean it's capital-D done.

Did it occur to anyone that for Larry, perhaps finalizing the artwork and photography, shooting the first video, making tour arrangements, and doing interviews with certain publications is part of "finishing" the album?

It might be mixed and getting mastered shortly, but that doesn't mean it's capital-D done.

That's precisely what I said. Larry-speak for "not finished" is more like "still mixing" or "final stages". Not "still recording and/or writing songs". :doh:

Yet that's what was being reported, mixing and wrap up party.

Again, source? Other than your circuitous sources that are basically quoting one another?

You think U2 would drop a non finished product to fans and close associates to listen to ?

And yet, that's what they did.

There is no source saying anything

Fixed

Traditionally the last thing to add to a U2 record are the vocals.

Really now? possibly not this time :)

How can the record be "delayed" when there was never a release date in the first place?

There were no announced release dates for Fall 1996, Fall 2003, Fall 2008.
Those were just guesstimations by members of the band.
And they've done that this time around too.

If you're looking for an actual release date as the metric for a "delay", U2 have never delayed an album, ever.

First of all, I only take Larry's quote seriously if I hear it with my own ears, like when it's an interview or such.

And second, "finished" may mean a lot of things. Judging from U2's current behavior I get the impression that they have already finished since they aren't recording. There were several stories of them wrapping up recording in NY with Danger Mouse, celebrating and people (Lanois, Lillywhite ....) got to hear stuff from the album and so on. Doesn't sound like a half-finished album to me.

So unless they threw away the tapes and decided to start again (which I hope by God they didn't), I don't see why they should still be working on the album and can't release it this fall.

The PERFECT time for U2 to release this album is November 26th (US date). Thanksgiving week, the week of Black Friday. Lady Gaga's album comes out 11/12, so that'll leave 2 weeks for all her fans to buy that. U2 should be the obvious contenders for #1 that week, provided that the first single is good. Do SNL and some other shows the week before, do The Today Show the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, and let black Friday do it's thing. After that, the Christmas shopping season should carry it through the new year.

November 26th is almost December!

I'm still leaning towards a delay, but this would be the best plan for them to follow from a sales standpoint. (It's the exact same week HTDAAB was released, which worked out well for everybody).

The PERFECT time for U2 to release this album is November 26th (US date). Thanksgiving week, the week of Black Friday. Lady Gaga's album comes out 11/12, so that'll leave 2 weeks for all her fans to buy that. U2 should be the obvious contenders for #1 that week, provided that the first single is good. Do SNL and some other shows the week before, do The Today Show the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, and let black Friday do it's thing. After that, the Christmas shopping season should carry it through the new year.

I'm still leaning towards a delay, but this would be the best plan for them to follow from a sales standpoint. (It's the exact same week HTDAAB was released, which worked out well for everybody).
Bingo.

This is beneath your usual high standard of prose. I expect better. As in, a few paragraphs better.

Sorry, I haven't been myself lately, as in, I haven't slept in a week. The crack I bought the other day was low grade stuff. Sure it kept me up for quite some time, and got me back down to my fighting weight. But the downside to it all is ive turned mean again. Beating up the neighbors wife, setting churches on fire, etc. Nothing like the time I shot the panhandler on the street corner because he wanted some change, or anything like that, but close. I may still get into a barfight this evening with a half dozen punks if im lucky, and then crash my car on the way home at 2am, again, if all goes well. Until then you will just have to suffer along with me in this posting drought. I've carved "U2" into my chest again with a rusty spoon, that is until the spoon broke off and is currently lodged in my pectorals. What can i say other than the glass is half full - im just not sure which half.

I don't think Christmas music will get in the way of radio airplay. Call me a negative Nancy, but I really don't think that U2 are gonna get very much airplay on popular radio, no matter what the station may be.

However, the stations that U2 almost always dominate tend to be the stations that switch to all-Christmas around that time of year.

If you read my post, I said that exact thing. Last week of November. They'd have plenty of time for promos before going off to spend the holidays with their families. And then come spring, a fresh round of promo (maybe) and possibly a second single to ramp up tour kickoff. As much as I'd love a Sept/Oct release, this would fall into the band's usual pattern and still be a 2013 release with a tour in 2014/2015. Just like with HDDAAB. And AB was a November release, was it not? :wink:

I don't think Christmas music will get in the way of radio airplay. Call me a negative Nancy, but I really don't think that U2 are gonna get very much airplay on popular radio, no matter what the station may be.

Radio airplay is not the medium it once was. All radio does is either play old hits or play the newest one-hit wonder. :angry:
U2 would be more interested in iTunes downloads and apps nowadays, I would wager. :hmm:

you're a Negative Nancy
Thank you. :wink:
However, the stations that U2 almost always dominate tend to be the stations that switch to all-Christmas around that time of year.
True. Where I live, at least, the all-Christmas stations tend to be the ones that do play classic U2 a lot, but wouldn't shake a stick at anything newer than about 1990. I can think of 2 or 3 other, more AC-oriented stations that might play a new U2 single that don't switch to all-Christmas.

Thank you. :wink:

YW :hug:

True. Where I live, at least, the all-Christmas stations tend to be the ones that do play classic U2 a lot, but wouldn't shake a stick at anything newer than about 1990. I can think of 2 or 3 other, more AC-oriented stations that might play a new U2 single that don't switch to all-Christmas.

On the Christmas music thingy, maybe we are too concentrated on FM radio here. I listen mostly to XM, which I think a lot of people do as well (or some other alternative outlet) so I don't think the holiday music thing is as bad as we might think.

Again, source? Other than your circuitous sources that are basically quoting one another?

And yet, that's what they did.

Fixed

Really now? possibly not this time :)

There are several sources. If you don't believe them...

Your source U2 played half-baked/non finished albums to fans, Lillywhite, Lanois, Blackwell, Friday ? Your source they did any recording on mixing after Electric lady mixing and barbeque (but not a wrap up) party ?

Not really. No one has said anything about extra recording or mixing. Larry's most recent quote would depend on his definition of a finished album. Single mixing ? Vocals being recorded ? Choosing the tracklisting ? etc They're apparently not done but not a peep about any sessions in NY, Dublin or France since June ? Really ? The level of stealth that deep this time ? Even recording in top secret ?

Yes, they often said vocals are the last thing to be recorded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom