Where The Streets Have No Name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Does anyone else get shivers down their spine when they hear the organ / first notes of Edge kicking in?

Or how about when it's climaxing to where Bono is about to sing, I just choke up when the song climaxes.

And if you think about it, Larry is in control of this song, check out his drumming, it's almost like the song is about to slip away, but then Larry's like "I got it, and I'm bringing it back to you"

Oh yeah... everytime I hear it, it makes me happy and I want to hear it again and again ! The guitars are just "wooooh" and Bono's voice "waahh" ... eheheh. That means I really love it too and understand what you feel ;)

Where the Streets Have no Name is my all time favorite U2 song for ALL the reasons you guys listed...and then some. and i think hearing this song live makes it that much better, espcially with all the flags in the background... to be quite honest, i had tears in my eyes hearing and watching this song live.

Swingn2thaMusic said:
oh oh! i'm not a baby face anymore!! :D say hello to the newest fly ;)

I remember those times :sad: .....wait... I'm not that old, I only have 1000 posts :reject: :D :wink:

Streets is my favorite song of all time ever (not just U2), especially the live versions like form Slane. The transition from AIWIY to Streets made me cry the first time I watched it. Really a spiritual experience for me. I've said before that I want Slane Streets to be the last song I hear before I die, since I'll be going to a place where the streets have no name. But anyway...:sigh:

Back to studying...

Back in the early nineties, before easy access to the internet and setlists, a 17 year-old boy went to his first U2 concert at the Los Angeles Sports Arena for a show called Zoo TV (Inside Broadcast). And at this U2 concert, said band played this song called "Running To Stand Still" . . . and at the end of said song, there was all this smoke and blue light filling the arena and somewhere high in the rafters a battalion of helicopters were flying overhead . . . and then, as the swirling helicopters began to fly away . . .

then the young boy screamed in surprise and recognition (as he had no information about the setlist and what song was about to arrive). And he heard a sound so familiar and so dear to him, he heard the most georgous sound he's ever heard . . . the buidling organ to "Where The Streets Have No Name". And as the arena was bathed in red, the young boy cried. He cried and jumped as high as he could and cried and jumped as high as he could and and when the crecendo came and the sports arena was filled with a brilliant white light, the young boy saw that everyone in the entire arena was also jumping as high as they could. And the young boy felt at one with the crowd, one with the band, and definitely at one with the music. He was part of something bigger than his life. And he cried some more. And he jumped even higher.

Easily one of the best moments in my life. And my favorite song of ALL TIME!

Since losing my U2-virginity that night, I've seen 11 more U2 shows, and at every single one, "Where The Streets Have No Name" is the high-point of the concert.

So some on here (as one did in another thread) can call "Where The Streets Have No Name" a "worn-out old warhorse that should be retired".

But I call it the greatest song ever created. And I hope U2 keep playing it, forever and ever and into eternity . . .

Last edited:
Few days ago, as i was going to school with my discman in my ears, Streets was just on that cd and started running to the school

Swingn2thaMusic said:
oh oh! i'm not a baby face anymore!! :D say hello to the newest fly ;)

Congrats, Swingn2thaMusic! Soon enough, you'll be an Acrobat! :wink: Once you hit War Child, you're done for....

Streets. O, Streets! :drool: I could write an essay about it if you'd like.. :wink: For now, I'll just say that Streets is the best song for feeling great.

Pero said:
Few days ago, as i was going to school with my discman in my ears, Streets was just on that cd and started running to the school

I have the same reaction. Just one random day, walking home from school while I listen to my iPod, and Streets came on. I started walking faster for some reason, just had a huge boost of energy, it was incredible. I had trouble not just full out running with a huge smile in fear of looking like a weirdo to the passing cars. :lol:

I've been waiting to gush over Streets! Too much 90's love going on in this forum, it's about time the REAL best U2 is appreciated for once!

U2 is Streets. This will always be the song (maybe also One, Sunday, and commercially Beautiful Day) that they are remembered for, even moreso by their fans. It gets the biggest response every concert, and it should. It's not even a huge guitar blaring, lyric screetching hard rock song. It's simplistic and beautiful but has so much depth and at the same time it pulls you in for a journey. The music is so well put together, it starts slow and churchlike, complete with organs, then slowly just keeps getting better and better. (And you're right. Listen to any of the Point Depot Lovetown shows and Larry's drums are just fooking incredible and intense.)

Put all that plus glaring flood lights bursting on for the climax in a packed arena/stadium, and you have heaven on earth. Every single person around you focused on one thing, going crazy, screaming, crying, jumping, staring in awe. Whatever, just the fact that all of us (u2 fans) can share that one moment together is what makes it the greatest feeling in the world.It gives you shivers every time. Especially when its such an amazing performance like the one on the Boston DVD. With Bad fading out to streets fading in. Bono reciting a variation (pretty much) of Psalm 116

"What can I give back to God for the blessings he's poured out on me? I'll lift high the cup of salvation -- A toast to God! I'll pray in the name of God; I'll complete what I promised God I'd do, And I'll do it together with his people." then letting out a huge "OHHH!" with his hands stretched high in triumph. To which the lights all finally turn on. Perfect! I love this song! Greatest song of all time!

Ok I've showcased my utter fanboy-ism for this song, I'll stop now! :wink:

:hyper: <-me before streets

P.S. I LOVE this performance! (12-26-89)
http://save file.com/files.php?fid=9601573 :drool:

Last edited:
This song is AMAZING on so many levels. The Edge's intro just sends everyone soaring! The anticipation builds and then....BLISS! This song made me a fan FOR LIFE! And live O MY it is amazingly awesome!!! The whole arena just erupts into this synchronized chaos... I could just live in the "Streets" moment for ever! When I'm working on certain things I can't listen to this song because I don't concentrate, I get really into it! This song is just amazing:drool:

FitzChivalry said:
Back in the early nineties, before easy access to the internet and setlists, a 17 year-old boy went to his first U2 concert at the Los Angeles Sports Arena for a show called Zoo TV (Inside Broadcast). And at this U2 concert, said band played this song called "Running To Stand Still" . . . and at the end of said song, there was all this smoke and blue light filling the arena and somewhere high in the rafters a battalion of helicopters were flying overhead . . . and then, as the swirling helicopters began to fly away . . .

then the young boy screamed in surprise and recognition (as he had no information about the setlist and what song was about to arrive). And he heard a sound so familiar and so dear to him, he heard the most georgous sound he's ever heard . . . the buidling organ to "Where The Streets Have No Name". And as the arena was bathed in red, the young boy cried. He cried and jumped as high as he could and cried and jumped as high as he could and and when the crecendo came and the sports arena was filled with a brilliant white light, the young boy saw that everyone in the entire arena was also jumping as high as they could. And the young boy felt at one with the crowd, one with the band, and definitely at one with the music. He was part of something bigger than his life. And he cried some more. And he jumped even higher.

Easily one of the best moments in my life. And my favorite song of ALL TIME!

Since losing my U2-virginity that night, I've seen 11 more U2 shows, and at every single one, "Where The Streets Have No Name" is the high-point of the concert.

So some on here (as one did in another thread) can call "Where The Streets Have No Name" a "worn-out old warhorse that should be retired".

But I call it the greatest song ever created. And I hope U2 keep playing it, forever and ever and into eternity . . .

WOW! Your post gave me chills! I feel EXACTLY the same way each and every time I experience Streets in concert. My first show was in 1987 and I've seen 16 shows since. And every single one of them, as soon as I hear that first part of streets, I get chills. And every single time, as soon as the lights go up, I make sure to look up at all of the people around me in the arena. In that moment, we really are One. As many times as I've heard Streets in the past 18-19 years, it will NEVER get old hearing it live. It is always my high point. My last show, Vegas 2, I actually cried during Streets. It was one of the few times I had nosebleed seats, so I was able to look down on the entire crowd and i watched as people at the very back of the floor area danced and danced, so openly, so joyfully. And in that moment, i was reminded once again why I love this band. In my opinion, Streets is U2's defining song. (and i'm an Achtung Baby girl!)

FitzChivalry said:

then the young boy screamed in surprise and recognition (as he had no information about the setlist and what song was about to arrive). And he heard a sound so familiar and so dear to him, he heard the most georgous sound he's ever heard . . . the buidling organ to "Where The Streets Have No Name". And as the arena was bathed in red, the young boy cried. He cried and jumped as high as he could and cried and jumped as high as he could and and when the crecendo came and the sports arena was filled with a brilliant white light, the young boy saw that everyone in the entire arena was also jumping as high as they could. And the young boy felt at one with the crowd, one with the band, and definitely at one with the music. He was part of something bigger than his life.

:applaud: I love that feeling!!! :love:

'Streets' is undeniably one of their best. After Hurricane Katrina I think it takes on a whole new meaning...."The city's aflood" (New Orleans, duh), "And our love turns to rust" (the exposed poverty and ugly racial underbelly that many in the south,and elsewhere, chose/choose to turn a blind eye to for over a century), "We're beat and blown by the wind, trampled in dust." 'nuff said

Back
Top Bottom