Where The Streets Have No Name - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2005, 08:48 PM   #16
Babyface

Local Time: 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by FitzChivalry
Back in the early nineties, before easy access to the internet and setlists, a 17 year-old boy went to his first U2 concert at the Los Angeles Sports Arena for a show called Zoo TV (Inside Broadcast). And at this U2 concert, said band played this song called "Running To Stand Still" . . . and at the end of said song, there was all this smoke and blue light filling the arena and somewhere high in the rafters a battalion of helicopters were flying overhead . . . and then, as the swirling helicopters began to fly away . . .

then the young boy screamed in surprise and recognition (as he had no information about the setlist and what song was about to arrive). And he heard a sound so familiar and so dear to him, he heard the most georgous sound he's ever heard . . . the buidling organ to "Where The Streets Have No Name". And as the arena was bathed in red, the young boy cried. He cried and jumped as high as he could and cried and jumped as high as he could and and when the crecendo came and the sports arena was filled with a brilliant white light, the young boy saw that everyone in the entire arena was also jumping as high as they could. And the young boy felt at one with the crowd, one with the band, and definitely at one with the music. He was part of something bigger than his life. And he cried some more. And he jumped even higher.

Easily one of the best moments in my life. And my favorite song of ALL TIME!

Since losing my U2-virginity that night, I've seen 11 more U2 shows, and at every single one, "Where The Streets Have No Name" is the high-point of the concert.

So some on here (as one did in another thread) can call "Where The Streets Have No Name" a "worn-out old warhorse that should be retired".

But I call it the greatest song ever created. And I hope U2 keep playing it, forever and ever and into eternity . . .
WOW! Your post gave me chills! I feel EXACTLY the same way each and every time I experience Streets in concert. My first show was in 1987 and I've seen 16 shows since. And every single one of them, as soon as I hear that first part of streets, I get chills. And every single time, as soon as the lights go up, I make sure to look up at all of the people around me in the arena. In that moment, we really are One. As many times as I've heard Streets in the past 18-19 years, it will NEVER get old hearing it live. It is always my high point. My last show, Vegas 2, I actually cried during Streets. It was one of the few times I had nosebleed seats, so I was able to look down on the entire crowd and i watched as people at the very back of the floor area danced and danced, so openly, so joyfully. And in that moment, i was reminded once again why I love this band. In my opinion, Streets is U2's defining song. (and i'm an Achtung Baby girl!)

Old 12-06-2005, 10:59 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by FitzChivalry

then the young boy screamed in surprise and recognition (as he had no information about the setlist and what song was about to arrive). And he heard a sound so familiar and so dear to him, he heard the most georgous sound he's ever heard . . . the buidling organ to "Where The Streets Have No Name". And as the arena was bathed in red, the young boy cried. He cried and jumped as high as he could and cried and jumped as high as he could and and when the crecendo came and the sports arena was filled with a brilliant white light, the young boy saw that everyone in the entire arena was also jumping as high as they could. And the young boy felt at one with the crowd, one with the band, and definitely at one with the music. He was part of something bigger than his life.
I love that feeling!!!

Old 12-08-2005, 12:18 PM   #18
Babyface

Local Time: 06:58 PM
'Streets' is undeniably one of their best. After Hurricane Katrina I think it takes on a whole new meaning...."The city's aflood" (New Orleans, duh), "And our love turns to rust" (the exposed poverty and ugly racial underbelly that many in the south,and elsewhere, chose/choose to turn a blind eye to for over a century), "We're beat and blown by the wind, trampled in dust." 'nuff said