where is the million dollar hotel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shrmn8rpoptart

War Child
i'm going to be in the southern california this weekend, as was wondering if anyone had any ideas for u2 destinations to hit. i really want to find the million dollar hotel, but i can't find an address on the internet. anyone know? also, are there any record shops out there that usually have a good selection of singles and vinyls and whatnot?

i had been planning on going to the fan celebration on sunday, but due to a conflict, that's a no-go...so any other ideas?

Since I'm advancing in age, I cannot recall the actual name of the hotel, but if you watch the video for "Ground beneath her feet", you'll see a sign for the hotel in some of the roof scenes. The only bad thing is that is a view from behind the sign, so you'll have to read backwards.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but you can see the same sign in some shots of the "Streets" video.

It's called the Rosslyn Hotel, and it's at 5th and Main in a somewhat seedy part of downtown LA. Good luck!

here is the address for the Rosslyn Hotel which is right across the street:

451 south main st

Here is a site for the million dollar hotel:

http: // franklinavenue.blogspot.com/2004/07/most-famous-hotel-youll-never-step_25.html

enjoy !!

It's a shame you won't be able to make to the convention. It's going to be a blast.

Heh, I'm sure you know, but don't go to the M$H at night. :no:

I'm planning on going there as well, though I'm not sure what day. I'll be coming into Ontario, CA tomorrow. :hyper:

well, after reading about it, maybe i'll just drive by instead of actually getting out...don't feel like getting hit in the head by bags of urine...:barf:

Edgette said:
It's a shame you won't be able to make to the convention. It's going to be a blast.

yeah, i was planning on it, but then my ride found out he's stuck in san diego all day. oh well.

Going to the Million Dollar Hotel is an interesting experience. A friend of mine and I went there a few summers ago. We went in the hotel and walked around for a while and then decided we'd had enough. It was very hot outside and that made it just miserable inside. We just explored a few floors and thought about trying to make it out onto the fire escape and then for a quick climb to the roof but we chickened out.

If you travel two blocks down Main Street, on the other side of the road you can see the liquor store where they filmed the video for Where the Streets Have No Name. Later in the day, on our way back to the Blue Line we asked two policemen about where the hotel was just out of curiosity to see if they knew where it was and they told where it was at but then said they didn't recommend us going into that part of town. If you go just be ready for some panhandlers and people who will approach you and ask you for stuff. Its very sad to think that in the span of a few miles you can go from Bel Air to a place like the Hotel and see such a disparity in wealth. That seems to be part of the band's fascination with the area.

Anyway, another time, two friends and I drove by the area at night. That was kinda scary. I don't know if the people would do anything to you but there are all kinds of people out on the street just wandering around. I realize all this information may have come in a bit too late.
:wink: :wink:

shrmn8rpoptart said:
i'm going to be in the southern california this weekend, as was wondering if anyone had any ideas for u2 destinations to hit. i really want to find the million dollar hotel, but i can't find an address on the internet. anyone know? also, are there any record shops out there that usually have a good selection of singles and vinyls and whatnot?

i had been planning on going to the fan celebration on sunday, but due to a conflict, that's a no-go...so any other ideas?

Walk down Sunset and Hollywood blvd..There is a lot going on there...

Amoeba Records is a must hit record shop in Hollywood. Great stuff. You could spend hours in there.

By the way, like people have already said... keeps your wits about you and pay attention to where you are going in downtown LA. And I strongly advise NOT going there at all after dark. You can easily stumble into the wrong part of town and find yourself in a scene straight out of a bad movie. I made that mistake when I first moved there. Got lost looking for the UPS hub. Got into the wrong part of town. It was absolutely out of this world. I was downright scared out of my tits. And I am a grown man.

username said:
By the way, like people have already said... keeps your wits about you and pay attention to where you are going in downtown LA. And I strongly advise NOT going there at all after dark. You can easily stumble into the wrong part of town and find yourself in a scene straight out of a bad movie. I made that mistake when I first moved there. Got lost looking for the UPS hub. Got into the wrong part of town. It was absolutely out of this world. I was downright scared out of my tits. And I am a grown man.

:lmao: I live in Los Angeles County, 15 minutes east of LA, but Ive been to LA and I don't think I have every been scared!, maybe I've been lucky so far, and Im a Grown woman!...
Im just kidding you...Scared out of your tits, thats FUNNY, :lmao:

We went and saw the M$H at night! :ohmy: We were pretty scared, but luckally we didn't get out of the car or stick around. We also saw where they filmed "Streets." It was really cool to see that. :D

At least there wasn't a man leaping off the roof, eh? *movie reference*

Gotta love that downtown LA. :uhoh: :help: :crazy:

Back
Top Bottom