Where Does U2 Place In Your Top 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bands only

1. U2
2. The Beatles
3. Coldplay
4. The Rolling Stones
5. The Doors

also, in no order, The Who, Arcade Fire, Foo Fighters, Keane, Snow Patrol, Oasis, The Beach Boys, Chicago, Fleetwood Mac, Bon Jovi, REM, Goo Goo Dolls, The Killers, No Doubt, The Police, Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Verve, Weezer, etc.

Hum..... U2 are not even number one, they are above, in a special spot, no need to put them in any chart.
Then Radiohead and Muse at the same spot I'd say above all the rest in no particular order, depending on the mood and on the album.

Am obsessing on Pink Floyd at the moment, for example :love:

Kind of hard for me to compare U2 to, say, The Beatles, as they're from such different eras. If I at least break it down to pre- and post-punk, I might rate the post-punkers like this:

1. U2
2. The Stone Roses
3. Prince
4. R.E.M.
5. Sinead O'Connor / The Police / Arrested Development & Speech / Juliana Hatfield / Counting Crows

But I think the majority of artists whose career work I enjoy (as opposed to a great album here or there) are older artists, like The Beatles, Dylan, Bob Marley, Joni Mitchell, and more...

U2 has fallen a bit on my list over the last year or so. It used to be number one.

1) Jars Of Clay
2) Michael W. Smith
3) U2
4) Sugarland
5) Relient K

Smiffs/Morrissey
The Soundtrack of Our Lives
U2
Modest Mouse
Magazine

3 is a nice number I don't think Bono will be whomping my Norwegian skull with a crowbar for this list any time soon. :uhoh:
I've a better chance of Marc Bolan and Freddie Mercury haunting me for leaving them out of the 5.

U2
Nine Inch Nails
Tool
Rage Against the Machine
Metallica

Will also always love Beatles, Zep, Floyd & Hendrix...

Not my number one, but close enough, considering the company...

1) The Beatles

2) U2

3) The Velvet Underground

4) Talking Heads

5) The Hold Steady

Probably a bit of a stretch, on that last one, but it's all good. Like with The Velvets, they benefit from (unlike somebody like Springsteen) not having enough albums to have hit a dry spell or recorded a miserable stinker.

I don't necessarily think U2 is the greatest or most important band of all time, but they're certainly my #1.

My other four would be...Radiohead, Bloc Party, The Fall of Troy, Muse

No particular order:

U2
Nine Inch Nails
Oasis
Tori Amos
Thomas Dolby (yes, that's right :wink:)
The Beatles

Honorable Mentions:
Counting Crows
Coldplay
Saul Williams
TV on the Radio
Explosions In The Sky

My pantheon:

1. U2
2. Radiohead
3. R.E.M.
4. Pearl Jam

So many other bands I love, but somehow I haven't been able to pick one above the others to round out a top 5. But the above is what I call the Holy Trinity, except that there's four. :D

For me it is:

1. U2
2. PJ Harvey
3. Muse
4. Nick Cave & Bad Seeds
5. Pink Floyd

U2 for me are in their own class though. Like Salome said, it's the whole package - music, live shows, imagery, personalities, the long and distinguished history, etc.

1. U2
2. The Cure (very close 2nd)
3. Soundgarden / Chris Cornell
4. Muse
5. REM / Depeche Mode
6. System of a down
7. Nirvana
8 Alice in chains
9. Placebo
10. Red Hot

I don't like Coldplay by the way...:reject:

I forgot to put my list in my first post.

1) U2
2) Stone Temple Pilots
3) Bruce Springsteen
4) Alice In Chains
5) Pearl Jam and The Police tied

U2 is always at the top for me. The other positions fluctuate. U2 is really one of very few bands/artists where I like pretty much all the songs and albums (to varying degrees). Everyone else is on a song-by-song basis (The Killers, Muse, David Gray, Eva Cassidy, the Indigo Girls, The Cure, The Who, Springsteen, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Audioslave, Bloc Party, Depeche Mode, Alphaville, Lokua Kanza.....)

1. U2
2. The Cure (very close 2nd)
3. Soundgarden / Chris Cornell
4. Muse
5. REM / Depeche Mode
6. System of a down
7. Nirvana
8 Alice in chains
9. Placebo
10. Red Hot

I don't like Coldplay by the way...:reject:

Its OK, although I don't think I'd agree with much of your list you have Chris Cornell up so high so you win the thread in my book.

1. Pink Floyd
2. Radiohead

Slots 3-10 would probably include (in no particular order) The Beatles, Queen, Neil Young, Echo And The Bunnymen, Joy Division, Sigur Rós, The Arcade Fire and U2.

Back
Top Bottom