Where do u2 rank in your list??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. Beatles
2. U2
3. Stones

I am a fan of all of the following:

Zepplin
Dylan
Bowie
Queen
The Who
REM
Sinatra
Pavarotti
Elvis
Neil Young
The Pretenders
Eurythmics
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Green Day
No Doubt

and I know I've forgotten more than a few.

I like a lot of the newer bands as well like the White Stripes, Arcade Fire, and Kings of Leon.

U2isthebest said:

The woman sings, writes lyrics, dances, plays guitar (albeit, not so well :wink: ) and produces. She's not still a major force in the music industry because she sucks!

Being a major force in the music industry today doesn't have a whole lot to do with not sucking.

And her lyrics suck butt.

"I Love New York"

I don't like cities
But I like new york
Other places make me feel like a dork
Los Angeles is for people who sleep
Paris and London
Baby you can keep

[Chorus]
Other cities always make me mad
Other places always make me sad
No other city ever made me glad except New York
I love New York [X3]

If you don't like my attitude
Then you can F off
Just go to Texas
Isn't that where they golf

New York is not for little pussies who scream
If you can't stand the heat
Then get off my street

I wish I could write like that. No wait... I'm not. My consciense wouldn't let me without a violent urge to commit suicide.

That said, I generally like her music.

Last edited:
shart1780 said:

Being a major force in the music industry today doesn't have a whole lot to do with not sucking.

And her lyrics suck butt.

"I Love New York"

I don't like cities
But I like new york
Other places make me feel like a dork
Los Angeles is for people who sleep
Paris and London
Baby you can keep

[Chorus]
Other cities always make me mad
Other places always make me sad
No other city ever made me glad except New York
I love New York [X3]

If you don't like my attitude
Then you can F off
Just go to Texas
Isn't that where they golf

New York is not for little pussies who scream
If you can't stand the heat
Then get off my street

I wish I could write like that. No wait... I'm not. My consciense wouldn't let me without a violent urge to commit suicide.

That said, I generally like her music.

Trust me, I know that! But none of these artists will be around in 2 years, let alone 20. I consider her and U2 major forces in the music industry today, and I would say neither of them suck. They're here because they're the artists left from their generation that still have the talent, the drive, and the relevance to be here. I absolutely hate the lyrics to the song you quoted, "I Love New York". I also hate the lyrics to "Miami" by U2, for example. I wouldn't say that makes Bono or Madonna a terrible lyricist. It just means we all have off days. I could name many songs Madonna's written that have lyrics that are simply brilliant.
You said you're a general fan, so I'm assuming you're at least familiar with most of her work, so I'm not going to go into naming specific songs right now, but I would bascially say 90% of her back catalogue.

10th maybe on the whole. Achtung Baby is one of my 5 top albums, however. Favorite song, way down.

1. U2
2. REM
3. Pearl Jam
4. Cure
5. Nirvana
6. RATM
7. INXS (original lineup of course, that new thing should have a different name)

U2 is always #1 and REM #2, 3-7 kind of shuffle around depending on my mood.

Re: Madonna...I used to really like her, and I respect her talent of course, but for me her newer stuff just doesn't do it for me. It's just very generic to me. Used to be, you could always tell a Madonna song...now, who knows? You recognize her voice but the songs could be coming from anywhere.

Yeah... I Love New York is a terrible example to showcase Madonna's songwriting abilities when there is stuff like Live To Tell, Oh Father, Frozen, This Used To Be My Playground and several great upbeat danceable songs like Deeper And Deeper, Like A Prayer, Jump, Beautiful Stranger etc. ILNY is her worst song ever! Despite being somewhat disappointed in recent U2, I don't think they have any songs that are bad as ILNY.

1. U2
2. Pearl Jam
3. The Beatles
4. R.E.M.
5. Various Chris Cornell projects
6. Jeff Buckley
7. Bloc Party
8. Radiohead
9. The Police
10.The Smiths

Zootlesque said:
I don't think they have any songs that are bad as ILNY.

Oh yes they do...and it starts with a "L"

I like seeing all the diversity of what ppl like listening to. There are more than a few on here that have very similar taste in music. I wish i had a wider range of music to listen to.

gman said:
I like seeing all the diversity of what ppl like listening to. There are more than a few on here that have very similar taste in music. I wish i had a wider range of music to listen to.

I know, lots of different bands on everyone's lists. I need to find a new band, I haven't gotten excited about a new artist in probably 10 years. Well Snow Patrol are pretty good...

CTU2fan said:
Oh yes they do...and it starts with a "L"

Love And Peace Or Else? It's bad but it's not THAT bad. :wink:

Love You Like Mad has some elementary lyrics too but then again, it's nowhere close to as bad as ILNY.

All IMO. :wink:

CTU2fan said:

I know, lots of different bands on everyone's lists. I need to find a new band, I haven't gotten excited about a new artist in probably 10 years. Well Snow Patrol are pretty good...

You could do a lot worse than check out James. Very similar to u2 in that, simple three chords and the truth tunes, catchy sing-a-long choruses etc and some really brill lyrics.

check out these toons.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=g2K0mIUdUtU

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=crZxRIYchjQ&mode=related&search=

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=paNrxISa4Ac

Zootlesque said:
Yeah... I Love New York is a terrible example to showcase Madonna's songwriting abilities when there is stuff like Live To Tell, Oh Father, Frozen, This Used To Be My Playground and several great upbeat danceable songs like Deeper And Deeper, Like A Prayer, Jump, Beautiful Stranger etc. ILNY is her worst song ever! Despite being somewhat disappointed in recent U2, I don't think they have any songs that are bad as ILNY.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

There's also "White Heat", "Promise To Try", "Spanish Eyes", "Vogue", "Justify My Love", "Rescue Me", "Rain", "Bad Girl", "Waiting" "Take A Bow", "Secret", "Love Tried To Welcome Me", "Ray of Light", "Drowned World/Substitute For Love", "Swim", "The Power of Good-Bye" (basically anything from 'Ray of Light',), "Gone", "What It Feels Like For A Girl", "Paradise, Not For Me", "Nothing Fails", "Love Profusion", "Nobody Knows Me," "Intervention", "X-Static Process", "Future Lovers", "Forbidden Love" ('Bedtime Stories and COADF versions, "Issac", "Like It Or Not", and many more..I was just naming some of my favorites that weren't mentioned.

I was gonna comment on Snowed Under before. Really, anything by Keane is :drool: So refreshing for a band without a guitar player!

And Brit... I see you're quite the Madonna fan! :ohmy: :wink:

gman said:

You could do a lot worse than check out James. Very similar to u2 in that, simple three chords and the truth tunes, catchy sing-a-long choruses etc and some really brill lyrics.

check out these toons.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=g2K0mIUdUtU

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=crZxRIYchjQ&mode=related&search=

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=paNrxISa4Ac

James were fantastic weren't they? I bet most bands would kill to be able to release a best of as perfect as James' 1998 one. 'Out To Get You' is another favourite of mine.

Zootlesque said:
I was gonna comment on Snowed Under before. Really, anything by Keane is :drool: So refreshing for a band without a guitar player!

And Brit... I see you're quite the Madonna fan! :ohmy: :wink:

She and U2 are the only artists I obsess over, as in I try and get all the books, have the DVDs, have every album, and have every B-side, unreleased song, etc. that is known to man.

I have not heard "Snowed Under" btw.:ohmy: What's it from?

Keane is a band I've just been getting into over the past few months, but I am absolutely in :love: with both albums so far. Is there any news on when a third might come out?

U2isthebest said:
I have not heard "Snowed Under" btw.:ohmy: What's it from?

Post your email! ;) It's a bonus track from Hopes and Fears.

U2isthebest said:
Keane is a band I've just been getting into over the past few months, but I am absolutely in :love: with both albums so far. Is there any news on when a third might come out?

Hopefully soon! I'm waiting for it!

TheQuiet1 said:

James were fantastic weren't they? I bet most bands would kill to be able to release a best of as perfect as James' 1998 one. 'Out To Get You' is another favourite of mine.

Do you know James have reformed? I saw em live a month ago! Going into the studio this month and they have played some of the new stuff live already. Its pretty good stuff. 2 gigs this mon and tues to trial the new material.

gman said:

Not a lot of people realise he is Scottish. Thats where his greatness eminates from:wink:

Thanks, gman. I never knew that. been listening to them for over 20 years. I think I thought he was Irish, never really listened to his speaking voice that much.

Reading this thread has got me so interested to listen to bands whose stuff i don't know- like Radiohead and JAMES??!!!

Back
Top Bottom