When you first listened to 'Dismantle an Atomic Bomb'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SiW87

Acrobat
Wide Awake in the City Of Blinding Lights
I just listened to the entire Bomb album today for the first time in a while (I usually listen to Achtung Baby), and I was as excited as the first time I heard it for some reason.

For you guys when you put the album in the player for the very first time:

What was it like?

What were you doing?

I know many people who believe first impressions last for a very long time, but I'm interested to know the situations of everyone when they first got a hold of the album. I remember for me, I came home for the first time from college at night, all my friends and family were at my house, and my mom gave me a copy of the new cd. I instantly put it in the player, blasted the surround sound without destorying it, and like Bruce said at the Rock N' Roll induction, "it lifted the roof." :up:

It was also the first time I heard City of Blinding Lights and Miracle Drug... along with the rest of the album, but the first time I heard those two songs... it was awesome. I can't explain it... but God bless it. Anyways, just wondering if anyone else experienced the same? Discuss.

(Sorry in advance to the mods if this thread has already been done).

Well, I was in line at WallyWorld at 3:30 am the day it came out, I ran out to my car, literally broke the case as I was in such a rush to pop it in the cd player (patience is not one of my virtues) I expected it to be great, perhaps even magnificent, I was completely blown away, I loved this cd so much, did not believe I would love it more than Actung or ATYCLB, but I did and still do. I still love every single off the cd as much as the first time I heard it. It is my favorite cd of all time, and I ain't exactly young as Springtime;)

I was playing basketball outside, just shooting around, and was going through some real rough patches with my girlfriend at the time, and every song on that album spoke to me in some way, it was just surreal.

Ironic thing is now we've broken up and the album that reminds me of her is Achtung, especially the song 'So Cruel'

my buddy Irishdawg knows what I'm talking about:wink:

When I heard "Vertigo" it really didn't make much sense to me lyrically, but musically it was U2 going back to it's roots.

I didn't really like Miracle Drug, Sometimes, Love And Peace, A Man And A Woman... well, half the album...

"City Of Blinding Lights" reminded me heavily of "The Unforgettable Fire" and I loved "One Step Closer" for it's moodiness...

Overall, the album is not bad, but after listening to the majority of the CD, I came to like it.

B4 I bought it, I listened 2 the version I downloaded a couple of weeks b4 release... I drove around 4 three hours listening 2 it in the Florida countryside... I was blown away. The only song I didn't like from the 1st listen was OSC, and it has slightly grown on me, especially since I now listen 2 the album in a different running order. And I thought YHWH was missing something ... the alternate version was, 2 me, an improvement, and when I heard the opening night Tour version, I thought... "this is how it should have been done." I'm listening 2 the album right now, and honestly, it's one of those albums that gets better with every attentive listen. Long Live The Bomb! :wink:

When it leaked, I thought it was fucking amazing.

Not sure I've actually played the CD, I just ripped it to my computer to replace the lower quality MP3s with some higher quality audio.

I knew Vertigo, obviously, LOVED Miracle Drug, was kind of eh (still am) about SYCMIOYO, LOVED LAPOE, LOVED COBL (besides the OH! YOU!... etc., thought it had an amazing Streets-esque epic sound), was not too fond of ABOY because it sounded empty, and still does. A Man and A Woman I didn't like from the start because of the voice layering (I think), same with Crumbs and Yahweh. I liked One Step Closer a lot, but not Original. I hate the voice-layering, it really stuck out like a sore thumb for me and made songs that I otherwise would have enjoyed (Yahweh, Crumbs), kind of irritating. I know they did it on Pop and other albums, but this one just sounds like they're trying to cover up for Bono's voice being weak.

When I first listened to it, I thought the first half was awesome, but didn't care for the second half. As time went on, however, I ended up enjoying it more. There are a couple of songs that I don't like still, but overall Bomb is a solid album.

First time I heard it.. I listened to the downloaded version. I was blown away by Crumbs. Then my computer crashed I felt some sort of guilt for downloading even though my limited addition was on order..
When I finally got it - I was still blowned away by Crumbs. and OOTS.
I'm more into the second half of the cd than the first.
But that's just me :wink:

First heard "Vertigo" on the radio a couple of months before the album's release and liked the song, thought it was a good, rocking tune, and the more I heard it, the more I liked it.

Then I was listening to a radio station the night before the album was released, as they were previewing the entire thing, and I just couldn't wait any longer. Plus, I was curious to hear the other songs, as up to that point, all I'd heard was "Vertigo". Most of the songs caught on with me right away-I remember particularly liking "Sometimes...", "Love And Peace Or Else", "City Of Blinding Lights", and "Original Of The Species" (still love those songs).

Then the next day, my dad took me down to the music store here in town, and I brought the CD, and played it twice that night. And having the lyrics to read added to my love of some songs that I may not have been as grabbed by the previous night (like "A Man And A Woman"), or they made me love the songs that I'd already liked even more.

I still love the same songs now that I loved then. There's a couple that are okay, not my favorites, but they're still okay if I'm in the right mood. But overall, yeah, this album works for me :up: :). I just remembered hearing the preview on the radio station and thinking about how nice it was to hear new music from the guys again :D. It's good to have them out and about doing what they do best again.

Angela

When I first listened to it, I thought the first half was awesome, but didn't care for the second half. As time went on, however, I ended up enjoying it more. There are a couple of songs that I don't like still, but overall Bomb is a solid album.

Phanan is me!

Before the release, I had succesfully avoided hearing any of the songs other than Vertigo, and I loved being able to hear the songs fresh on the CD.

Interestingly, when I bought HTDAAB, I took it home, popped it in the computer, and sat down with a journal to record my thoughts - the only time I've ever done that with an album.

Upon first listen, my initial response was that the album was much better than ATYCLB. I really liked Miracle Drug and Crumbs, which I thought was the Edge's standout guitar track. I don't know if I still agree with that, but it's pretty intense. I also noted the passion in SYCMIOYO, and the beauty of OTOS.

I also was disappointed with ABOY - the rough clip that was had leaked from someone recording outside of the studio had sounded much rawer and angrier. I thought the (professionally) recorded version was slick, polished, and pop-ish, too much so. I guess the Vertigo sound and anger was what I had expected. Finally, I took note that Bono's voice was getting pretty gruff, but that he was using it well. One Tree Hill and A Sort of Homecoming were a lifetime ago, and they wouldn't be back, but the new vocal was pretty darn good.

i thought it was a significant improvement over their previous album.

which it is.

but then again, anything they've ever done was better than that.

I downloaded it when it leaked. I think I gave up tracking down various YSIs on various threads here and found a torrent eventually.

Anyway, I thought it was alright. It had to grow on me. I still think it's pretty uneven (Achtung was probably their last truly consistent record), but the highs are really high.

When if first heard it, I of course knew vertigo, and i loved miracle drug, and city of blinding lights. Outside of that, I thought it was good, but not special, but all the songs have really grown on me since seeing them perform half the album live.

When it leaked :drool: :drool:

The first song I head was Miracle Drug, and I got tears in my eyes for it being so good. Now I don't like the song that much, but there's a special thing about it though. I remember that I loved Love And Peace Or Else, now I hate it. I remember that I love All Because of You, now I hate it. I remember hating A Man And A Woman, now I love it. I remember hating Crumbs From Your Table, now I love it.

I've always loved Vertigo though, and always will :rockon:

When I heard it first on Christmas morning, i thought it was shit, put my earphones on and listened again and loved it.

I never downloaded it before it was released, I waited for the CD and went and bought it first thing in the morning and stuck it in my CD player and drove around for an hour listening to it (a bit dangerous in hindsight!). I'd heard ABOY and COBL live before cos I was there when they played them at Top of the Pops but the rest was all new to me. I was pretty impressed, I liked all the songs but it was weird for me because it was the first U2 album released since I became a fan, it was current. Also I'd read other people's opinions of the songs who had downloaded it. It was suprisingly easy to get into at first but then I went off it after a couple of weeks, then got back into it again after a while. Favourite songs were Miracle Drug, LAPOE and COBL. :drool:

I heard Sometimes and Crumbs acoustic versions on mp3, and I had heard Vertigo on the radio before the album. When I got into the CD store Crumbs was playing.

Loved it than and it's still one of my favorite U2 albums. What surprised me is how consistent it is, and Bono's new voice.

Vertigo - you can tell things are going well when the first single is not one of album's best songs. that said I didn't think the band would shape up such blistering sounds. Hello Bono's new voice - I didn't think he had those wails in him.
Sometimes - loved it from the start. The "can you hear me when I sing" climax regularly watered my eyes.
Miracle Drug - liked it more from the start, now I think it's a tad overrated. love the song from the guitar solo onwards though
Love and peace - my first reaction was "LOL. Cookie monster from Muppets playing guitar." Learned to enjoy it since, despite somewhat weak lyrics (chorus and second verse) - if not earlier it is now clear this is Edge's album
City of blinding lights - my first reaction was "a weak attempt for Streets part II." Now it's my third favorite song.
All because of you - they really nailed the rock songs this time. My fave of the three.
A man and a woman - see below
Crumbs - along with ABOY this was my "single" candidate upon first listen. Like City, it has grown on me.
One step closer - tied for City... for third favorite. loved this one from the start too.
Original of the species - perfect pop song. early favorite too.
Yahweh - I usually don't like their spiritual-heavy songs that much but this is an exception.

The only song I haven't been into so much is A man and a woman (I usually like their more acoustic-guitar-present songs - SATS, Wild honey, Fast cars, Summer rain) - I like the lyrics and the vocal but something's bugging me. I think it's because it sticks out like a sure thumb on Bomb - would have fit perfectly on ATYCLB, musically.

Last edited:
When I got the album I was just recovering from life saving surgery. It was the knowledge that U2s new album was going to be released soon after my surgery, that kept me going through the months up until the operation and it was U2 and their music that helped in my recovery. I'm now have my health back plus a 25 cm long scar on my tummy! But I have a lot to be thankful for and U2 has helped me through some of the most darknest moments of my life!

:heart: :bono: :edge: :larry: :adam: :heart:

Ever since Zooropa's release, I have a tradition about how I listen to a new U2 album.

First, I clear my schedule. Nothing else is allowed to interfere. For HTDAAB, I called in sick to work. I was at the front doors of Best Buy at 7:30 awaiting their 8:00 opening. Once I had the CD in my hands, I drove like a bat out of hell to get home.

I always listen to a new album the same way. First I go through the CD booklet and read the liner notes. Then it's time to press Play. I sit on the floor in front of the stereo. I have the CD booklet open and I follow along with the lyrics. I pay attention to the notes, who played what, who produced the song. But mostly I just listen. For HTDAAB I deliberately did not let myself listen to any of the new material, so Vertigo was the only song I knew. I like that, when I get to hear 9 or 10 new songs all at once.

As for my reactions, I liked Miracle Drug right away. Cried my eyes out during Sometimes... Liked Love and Peace or Else. Fell immediately in love with City of Blinding Lights. Wasn't sure about All Because of You. Liked A Man and a Woman. Didn't like One Step Closer. Loved Crumbs From Your Table. Loved Original of the Species. Liked Yahweh. Loved Fast Cars.

Since then some of my opinions have changed, but mostly favorably. I still love City of Blinding Lights the best, however. I knew after only two listens that it belonged in my all-time Top 10. And sure enough, I rank it at number 5.

When I first put it on, I was at my folks' place. My dad heard it and thought it sucked---he said there wasn't a single song that was radio-worthy. :ohmy: I jumped on him! Vertigo, COBL, Sometimes, ABOY and Yahweh got me from the start---with COBL blowing me away.

I remember I had already listened to (like a schmuck) Miracle Drug, Sometimes, Love and Peace, ABOY, and of course Vertigo (by that time I had around 250 listens for Vertigo on my iTunes count), so the album wasn't much of a surprise musically, as I knew what was coming.

I remember first hearing COBL and being blown away. Christmas was coming and all I could think about was Boston being lit up at night, while the snow was falling and it was 30 degrees out. I remember hearing the intro to A Man and A Woman a ton, too (why just the intro, I dunno ):shrug: Probably because I kept hitting SKIP! :wink:

Probably the song that struck me the most was Yahweh. I'm not sure why I remember it the most.

I think it was because me and my friend (thefly418) were in religion class one day and we had that song stuck in our heads, and our teacher referred to God as Yahweh in every context. Then I remember walking around the school campus and it was snowing all the time, and I knew everybody was bitching about the snow, but at times it was breathtakingly beautiful, and it made me think of that song. So now whenever I listen to it, Bono's vocals always jump out at me, as does that moment where Bono sings-
The sun is comin' up on the ocean
This love is like a drop in the ocean
Our love is like a drop in the ocean
Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh oooohh

jesus i'll always remember this! this is an amazing story.

i woke up on Saturday, November 6, 2004, and i had a dream. i remembered the dream. i dreamt that the new U2 album had leaked! so i wake up at like 8:00, run to my computer, head straight to Interference, and what do you know, it did leak! i downloaded all the songs, didn't listen to them, but burnt them to a CD. then i popped it into my CD player in the living room and hit play.

I knew Vertigo, i loved it, but the suspense during the song was AMAZING. i couldn't fucking wait for the next song. i remember hearing Miracle Drug and thinking "With or Without You." I remember that Love and Peace wasn't as good as i thought it would be. i know that i really liked City of Blinding Lights, A Man and a Woman and the guitar work on Crumbs. the end of the album kind of left me wanting more, but Original of the Species was fantastic.

i can't believe i had that dream though!

I bought it a month after it came out (so prices could go down :D )and took it home. Popped it in my cd player, and listened to it through headphones while I was doing homework.

I remember hating A Man and A Woman but absolutely loving Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own and listening to Love and Peace or Else over and over and over and over again.

A week or so later, my friend and I were discussing the cd and she told me she loved the song City of Blinding Lights.. and I realized that I didn't know what she was talking about cause I only got up to Love and Peace or Else the night before. :lol:
That night I thoroughly listened to the ENTIRE cd.. all.... day which soon came to be all week.

Then I remember I was walking outside one night and was listening to Yahweh. it ended up giving me chills during the part where he sings 'cause love is like a drop in the ocean..' and I realized how much I love this cd. :D

I was, of course, blown away the first time I heard it. Since then it's had time to settle down a bit, and now it's probably 4th or 5th favorite for me. ATYCLB is still my second favorite though. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom