When will U2 stop being U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BANZAI

War Child
Suppose...one or two bandmembers will leave the band.

In which cases will U2 stop being U2?

When the band only exists of...

A. Bono, The Edge, Larry

B. Bono, The Edge, Adam

C. Bono, The Edge

D. Bono, Larry, Adam

E. The Edge, Larry, Adam

For me, U2 at least has to exist of Bono and The Edge. Of course, I'd rather have Larry and Adam in the band, but I've always thought drums and bass are a little bit more interchangeable than a leadsinger and a leadguitarist.

So in my case option D and E aren't U2 anymore!

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I don't think U2 will ever carry on without any one member.
Yah, I really couldn't see them as U2 if someone else were to replace another member of the band. It just wouldn't "feel" right.

Catman said:

Yah, I really couldn't see them as U2 if someone else were to replace another member of the band. It just wouldn't "feel" right.

yet you don't want bono to be the lead singer anymore? :wink:

i agree that I don't think U2 would really keep being U2 no matter who left. there are people on this board that wish U2 had a better drummer or bassist, but if they did they wouldn't sound the same. Adam and Larry have a certain approach to their instruments. They create the canvas for Edge to paint on. If U2 had a "better" bassist or drummer, the dynamics of the band would change.

That said, I do think the two most essential members of U2 are Bono and Edge. If they released an album with a different rhythm section I wouldn't object to them calling it a U2 album... but it wouldn't be the same. There would be something missing. So even if it had the name U2 I don't know if I'd really consider it a U2 album. There is something special about the four of them - the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Change one of the parts and you may lose that magic.

fly so high! said:
To me personally.....U2 will cease to be U2, if any of the members leaves.That would be it...chapter closed!

I think this, as well. The magic they have comes from the unique chemistry between all four of them. It's the thing that binds them together more than the musicianship. They're probably the greatest overachievers in rock history in that regard, and fully aware that one member is no more talented than the next.

AtomicBono said:

That said, I do think the two most essential members of U2 are Bono and Edge.

I'm surprised by how much Larry and Adam are unappreciated in here...

well maybe I'm not.

They may not be the most technical musicians but they have come up with lines that most technical musicians would have overlooked.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

They may not be the most technical musicians but they have come up with lines that most technical musicians would have overlooked.

Can you be a bit more specific? Can you name some songs for example?

BANZAI said:

Can you be a bit more specific? Can you name some songs for example?

As far as drumlines Bad, WOWY, SBS; those aren't the "natural" drumlines for songs like that. WOWY and Bad would have probably been your normal ballad if another drummer had done it.

^^^ Yup, that's very true.

Also, Adam adapted his playing style around how the edge and Larry work very early, playing in 8ths and whatnot. That's what makes songs like WOWY, Streets, COBL, etc.. take off and really move.

There won't be U2 anymore if PAUL MCGUINNESS leaves..............................."the cashmachineman".................:wink:

No, I have always considered U2 as a family, they made the band together, they're friends and brothers, you can't replace any of them, if one quits, end of U2, mostly after 30 years career

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I'm surprised by how much Larry and Adam are unappreciated in here...

well maybe I'm not.

hey now, that was selective quoting, the rest of my post was talking about how U2 wouldn't be the same without Adam and Larry :wink:

and I agree, the fact that they're not technically trained (or they weren't when they started out) has made them more creative in some cases.

I think U2 could still make the music if one member left, but whether they still wanted to make the music would be a different matter.

But I agree with most of the points in here - U2 wouldn't be U2 without the four current members.

Back
Top Bottom