When Vertig fist Came out U2 was Cool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdelbove

Acrobat
I recently went back to Vertigo and appreciated it for what it was.

Somtimes I forget the feeling of seeing U2 on the tv adds in 2004 for the Vertigo single before the album officially came out. Now Vertigo has been played so many times it has become normal but when I first heard and saw them they were cool.

The song was cool and sounded fresh, they sounded young and energized again easpecily Bono. That intro with the scratching guitar before the song took off seemed a little bad ass at first even.

So go back at watch the tv comercail and even though they were "selling out" tell me they werent cool.

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=YiV4jzWitnA

They even looked cool and rough, Bono easpecily looked rejuvinated and cool. His hair was long again, the way he moved or danced to the song, the fact that he wore like 5 necklesses. I particulary liked they way he use to shake and bang violently on his chest when singing the feeeel part of the song it just added to the dramatics and specticle of it. Matter of fact I dont think Bono can dance but he could in the ipod comercial and the vertigo music video. O yea and loved how Bono says - turn it up loud captian - when the song gets going

That was the idea: they had to look as cool as possible to promote their new album and single. I guess it worked!

Don't worry, though; they'll do it again next year.

I did like Bono's -- and Edge's -- aggressive, animal-like behavior. :drool: Sorry, I'll go to PLEBA now. :bump:

I hated those add's, especially the vertigo ones. So cringeworthy.

coolian2 said:
Don't forget the "Bono's such a prick" crowd...i'd bet the night before a lot of them would have been cheering him on.

It is the old "Jesus comes to town" syndrom, I fear ...

Well I still love Vertigo. I don't listen to the studio version that much. But the song live, wow! It has such a energy anbd when Bono sings "Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel", Wow!

U2 were very cool in the early 90s when I was 13/14 yrs old. Granted, bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Guns n Roses were cooler but U2 were part of the rock elite along with REM.

I don't know if they were cool during Vertigo or not, because I was not the same crazed teenage fan that I was in the 90s.

i dont think people thought they were cool when vertigo came out but if you look back I think its hard to say that maybe in the back of your mind they seemed a little cool and had a cool look even if u were just afraid to admit it

I like Vertigo (City of Blinding Lights easily was the best on the album, though), but the iPod ad... not so much.

I wish U2 were more cool. This is how it is at my school.

"What are you listening to?"
"U2"
I either get:
"Sounds gay" or "What's that?"

IMO, U2 tried too hard to be cool on the last album (Vertigo), and I doubt it worked very well. And you know what happens when you try too hard to be cool... you become lame :ohmy:

I hate the word "cool" and everything that comes with it.

U2 isn't cool, the band have always said they're not and IMO, they are quite good at beeing uncool.

Uncool = :drool:

david said:
I think they were also kind of cool in the fall of 1982.. Just for a few days.

Yeah, you're right. This dates me, but U2 and REM were the coolest bands on what was called "college radio" back in the early 80's, before MTV was available in most of the US.

It's hard to describe now how different U2 sounded compared to everything else that was being played back then (the only way to understand the shock of hearing U2 on the radio in those days is to play Rod Stewart, Loverboy and Lionel Richie records back-to-back for 9 hours, then play "Rejoice" at top volume -- I guarantee that you will shit your pants, or at least wet 'em).

All the seriously cool, cutting-edge music kids (teenagers) showed up for the October and War Tours, and maybe that first leg of The Unforgettable Fire Tour.

Once "Pride" broke out, however, they got "too popular" and started playing huge halls for up to 10,000 fans and charging $15 for a ticket, which was totally selling out and bowing down to The Man, so everyone moved on to The Cure and Run-DMC and The Jesus And Mary Chain.

OK, sorry, reminisce over.

Last edited:
In retrospect, Bono appears to be some kind of caucasian, non-jewish version of Lenny Kravitz in this commercial.

MrBrau1 said:
I don't think U2 have ever been "cool."

I think U2 would be the first to admit that they're not cool...they don't have to be...they're U2...although I think they approached cool on the ZooTV tour (having some supermodels hanging about helped too). And yeah the Vertigo TV ad was cool cause it was such a novel idea...groundbreaking territory. And U2 3D will be very cool. Bono always morphs into "cool" when he gets on stage. That guy's got some charisma!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom