When U2 went away in 89-92

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfwill23

War Child
After Bono said that the band had to go away and dream it all up again, how far away were they? How much press did they get? It seems like there aren't even many pictures of the guys from those in-between years. I know they went to Germany, but what were they up to?

Anyone know?

Actually the band was only away from January 10, 1990 to October 1991. 1 year and 9 months. This is the period of the writing and recording of Achtung Baby that including a trip to Berlin in the winter 1990/1991.

I know that they took a long time recording AB- so that is probably what they did in that time and they would of had a bit of fun and probably thougt up the whole 'Zoo' TV extravaganza- I would say that it was a very creative time for them
smile.gif

If I remember correctly, Paul McGuiness had imposed a press ban on the boys, no interviews during that period, so that they could keep a low profile. This was a reaction to the press backlash after Rattle and Hum. It was a way to keep people from getting sick of U2 prior to unleashing Achtung Baby, and the new U2, on the world.

Yeah they spent time just recording and trying to find themselves again. It looks like they partied a lot too and just relaxed,
I think they knew things were going to change in the 90's so that gave them time to experiment with different kinds of music.
I thought it was cool how Bono cut all of his hair off and changed his style, as well as his persona.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

On June 20 1990, Bono joined David Bowie on stage in Cleveland during Bowie's Sound + Vision tour for a version of 'Jean Genie'.

The tour used waffer-thin screens that were let down infront of the stage for some songs. It was here the band got the idea to use screens on their next tour and well, you all know the rest...

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimson sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

i guess the reason it seems like such a big deal to people, i think it's mostly americans that think it is. well because after the joshua tree tour ended, U2 didn't tour america for Rattle and Hum. so all fans knew of the band from late 88 to about 90 was probably the press backlash and the videos that aired on mtv. the drastic change U2 made after Rattle and Hum probably enhanced that as well.

but when you really think about in the 90's U2 have gone away 2 times for longer period of times and came back more different than ever.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

Back
Top Bottom