When U2 go into the Hall of Fame.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

candyfloss

The Fly
I know this probably has been brought up from time to time, but I just wanna see what people say. U2 will be eligable for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in just a few years, and when they go in who will give their introduction speech?

I think Bruce Springsteen would be cool for a few reasons. One: he has been loyal to the band since they started out; two: Bono gave a great speech for him; and three: he's a stud. Brian Eno would also be a good candidate.
What are some other ideas? (If anybody says Carson Daly I'm takin' you down.)

------------------
Mess with any of my hoes and I'll cut you.
I likes the jewelery.
I got's to impress the bitches.
Got's to carry lots of cash to bail out the hoes.
- Pimbot 5000

I think the best candidate would be...

ME!
biggrin.gif

Eh.. heh.. heh.. er.. anyway, yeah, Bruce seems like a good choice. Perhaps Michael Stipe?

Oh jeez.. something scary just occurred to me.. maybe I shouldn't say who would be incredibly bad -- at least there is no chance whatsoever.

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

I think Bruce would be a mighty fine choice. I bet he could write an intro to rival some of Bono's best.

From what I've noticed and what I've heard, artists who are older than the inductees do NOT introduce them. They are also not introduced by contemporaries, like REM would be for U2. Unfortunately, fans are also not used.

Who is chosen? Someone famous, someone younger than the band or artist, someone who was likely inspired by them when they were starting out. For this reason, I think these are good candidates:

Oasis-most likely. They are good friends, and think of them as their naughty little brothers!

Barenaked Ladies-started as somewhat a U2 cover band and have been influenced by them and admire them very much to this day!

Longshot- Maybe Dave Groel of Foo Fighters. He likes U2, he is younger, and, like Bono, has been hanging around the Hall of Fame and its induction ceremonies, keeping his name and face fresh in their minds for when his time comes
wink.gif

Hmmm...good point. How about Moby?

[edit] Although Paul McCartney inducted James Taylor, so I don't think the younger part always applies. I think with U2 it has to be somebody big. Really big. Honestly Springsteen is the only one I can think of that feels right.

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 02-28-2002).]

If you look back at the history of this thing, you will see that someone older just DOESN'T do this, that's just not the way it's done. Was Michael Jackson not big? He got N'Sync. Was Aerosmith not big? They got Kid Rock. That's just the protocol. Someone younger who is a fan. I have seen this discussed on the mailing lists many times, that's just the way it is.

Originally posted by Desire4Bono:
If you look back at the history of this thing, you will see that someone older just DOESN'T do this, that's just not the way it's done. Was Michael Jackson not big? He got N'Sync. Was Aerosmith not big? They got Kid Rock. That's just the protocol. Someone younger who is a fan. I have seen this discussed on the mailing lists many times, that's just the way it is.

Well, like I said, Paul McCartney inducted James Taylor. McCartney is older than James Taylor, in both age and career, so sometimes exceptions are made.

I think in the examples you gave, they were all perfect. NSYNC is huge and was perfect for inducting Michael Jackson.

Ray Charles introduced Billy Joel and Keith Richards introduced Aretha Franklin. So I don't really think they have any rules about a younger artist introducing an older artist, even if it is the norm.

Hey, you'll love this one...

How about...

Scott Stapp!

*logs off, turns off computer, runs away*

Personally I have nothing against Stapp. I think he's a fine looking man, and Creed is one of the more real rock and roll bands out there today. They like U2, but I don't think U2 likes them. When Bono was walking down the aisle at the 2000 VH1 awards, he grabbed or slapped hands with people along the way, like Andrea Corr.

I have this on tape- as he approached Stapp, who was on his left, Stapp was smiling, clapping and looking adoringly at Bono, I think he had in mind slapping hands with him. Just as Bono saw this and got in range, he immediately shifted his eyes to the right, smiled at someone there and jumped quickly onto the stage to sing BD. I believe he purposely snubbed Scott Stapp. Why? Could it be Stapp was everything he was 15 years ago, young, hot, great long hair, sexy arms, kind of religious and very successful? Or maybe he just doesn't like him. I don't know, but I tell you he snubbed him and I think he was offended. Most of the people on this list will think that's funny and cool of him. I felt sorry for the guy.

Oh speaking of the Corrs, it might be them. Nah, not quite big enough. Cranberries? Westlife? Boyzone? NOOOOOO!

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 02-28-2002).]

Originally posted by joyfulgirl:
Hey, you'll love this one...

How about...

Scott Stapp!

*logs off, turns off computer, runs away*

LMAO!!!! That's who I was referring to in my post before who would be SO horrible! LOL!!! I can't believe that..

Anyway, I actually thought of tossing Moby in but I thought I'd be laughed at so I took it out. He's a U2 fan, very smart, he's very popular, younger, etc. -- perfect.
biggrin.gif

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Oh speaking of the Corrs, it might be them. Nah, not quite big enough. Cranberries? Westlife? Boyzone? NOOOOOO!

Westlife.. doubt it. Cranberries.. really doubt it, even though the Ali thing. Boyzone -- NO WAY. Definitely not the Corrs -- they aren't the kind of group to be around in the next ten years. They just aren't the type. More established artists usually do the inducting.

------------------

Personally I have nothing against Stapp. I think he's a fine looking man, and Creed is one of the more real rock and roll bands out there today. They like U2, but I don't think U2 likes them. When Bono was walking down the aisle at the 2000 VH1 awards, he grabbed or slapped hands with people along the way, like Andrea Corr.

I have this on tape- as he approached Stapp, who was on his left, Stapp was smiling, clapping and looking adoringly at Bono, I think he had in mind slapping hands with him. Just as Bono saw this and got in range, he immediately shifted his eyes to the right, smiled at someone there and jumped quickly onto the stage to sing BD. I believe he purposely snubbed Scott Stapp. Why? Could it be Stapp was everything he was 15 years ago, young, hot, great long hair, sexy arms, kind of religious and very successful? Or maybe he just doesn't like him. I don't know, but I tell you he snubbed him and I think he was offended. Most of the people on this list will think that's funny and cool of him. I felt sorry for the guy.

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 02-28-2002).]

I have nothing against Stapp either, but it seems that the majority of people here do, so I was preparing for the worst. That's interesting about the VH1 awards...I'll have to go back and check that out.

So far I like the idea of Moby or Springsteen best (my ideas, natch
biggrin.gif
). It's an interesing question. I'm really stumped, actually.

Originally posted by elevatedmole:

LMAO!!!! That's who I was referring to in my post before who would be SO horrible! LOL!!! I can't believe that..

Anyway, I actually thought of tossing Moby in but I thought I'd be laughed at so I took it out. He's a U2 fan, very smart, he's very popular, younger, etc. -- perfect.
biggrin.gif

Aha! See, I knew people would not be happy with that one...

Moby's a good choice for the reasons you mentioned, and I think he'd give a good speech. Bono is known for his great speeches and I think they'd really take that into consideration in choosing someone. I wonder how they choose the person? Maybe they ask the artists to choose who they want to induct them.

Originally posted by elevatedmole:
Westlife.. doubt it. Cranberries.. really doubt it, even though the Ali thing. Boyzone -- NO WAY. Definitely not the Corrs -- they aren't the kind of group to be around in the next ten years. They just aren't the type. More established artists usually do the inducting.

I was more or less joking with those. I stick with my predictions in my earlier post on this thread, Oasis or Barenaked Ladies. Let's take bets now, this could be interesting!

I actually like system of a down.. I don't hate Creed lyrically...but their music....its sounds like the first album...they just strike me as a very derivative band musically

I thought Khanada was just smiling at your suggestion that Bono possibly snubbed Scott because Scott's got the great long hair Bono used to have. I guess I should just let Khanada speak for Khanada's self (having gender confusion here).

[edit] Oops, Desire4Bono, you edited your post, now no one knows what I'm talking about. Not that anyone ever knows what I'm talking about anyway, lol...

[This message has been edited by joyfulgirl (edited 02-28-2002).]

I was just taking up for Stapp but I gave up, he is hated here I don't want to blackball myself already. At least I know you understand. I didn't really mean that stuff about Bono being jealous of Scott, of course Bono is greater, and his hair and arms are just fine. At that time Creed may have been bigger than U2 but no more, U2 is back and better than ever, and great for all time. They have survived the true test of success, longevity and are now assured immortality. We will have to see what the future brings Creed, DMB, Train and the others. I'm sure U2 will always be far greater.

not to change the subject or anything, but...

Does anyone know WHEN u2 will be eligible?

If it's 25 years from the release of their first record, would that be 2004? (I'm basing this on the release of u2 3, which was released in 79...is that right?)

I thought it was 25 years after the release of the first full-length album....

Originally posted by jezebel:
not to change the subject or anything, but...

Does anyone know WHEN u2 will be eligible?

If it's 25 years from the release of their first record, would that be 2004? (I'm basing this on the release of u2 3, which was released in 79...is that right?)

Oasis is a good choice if they're still big by then. I think Coldplay would be up their if they also are able to build on their stuff.

What about Radiohead! We know they're secretly super fans! We know how they rip off U2 and want to be U2 subconsciously.
wink.gif

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

Radiohead! That is it! Perfect, I think we have a winner.

No matter who, I do think it will be someone with close ties to the band, like Radiohead, Moby(remember he inducted Steely Dan last year) or Oasis. I can't imagine they'd just go grab some big shot who had nothing to do with them. I'm not a big Radiohead fan, but that is an excellent pick, unless they totally lose it in the next few years.

One more thing- if it is a big shot famous star who is older than them, which I doubt, but if, I think it would be Mick Jagger. He is Bono's good friend. David Bowie would be next on that list. Other than inducting him, U2 really has nothing to do with Bruce Springsteen, I'd be willing to bet money it will not be him. Besides he isn't much of a speaker.

[This message has been edited by Desire4Bono (edited 03-01-2002).]

If Bruce Springsteen came to the HoF and said "I want to do U2's induction speech'...I highly doubt they would say no....unless of course they had promised someone else already...

Don't the inductee sometimes get to choose? Steely Dan apparently asked specifically for Moby...much to Moby's surprise
smile.gif

dream wanderer

[This message has been edited by dream wanderer (edited 03-01-2002).]

Originally posted by dream wanderer:
If Bruce Springsteen came to the HoF and said "I want to do U2's induction speech'...I highly doubt they would say no....unless of course they had promised someone else already...

Don't the inductee sometimes get to choose? Steely Dan apparently asked specifically for Moby...much to Moby's surprise
smile.gif

dream wanderer

Why would he? Of all the people they are close to and have connections and relationships with, Bruce is NOT one of them! I think maybe some of you are just such big Bruce fans you want to see that, but it just doesn't seem to fit in at all with me.

Bruce and Bon Jovi, yes. Bon Jovi grew up in NJ idolizing him. They are all Jersey boys. I just don't get the alleged U2/Springsteen connection at all, other than the fact that Bono inducted him, which I thought odd at the time. Bono really has been hanging around there for years, inducting and keeping his name a face in their minds, of course, no question, U2 WILL get in in their first year of eligibility. Most people don't but they will.

If they could choose, it would probably be Oasis.
If she's still big, maybe Gwen Stefani.

Oh don't forget Rob Thomas was inspired by U2! *runs away*
wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom