When U2 f*ck up.... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2004, 05:00 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 02:00 PM
When U2 f*ck up....

Just curious how often and specifically when U2 have screwed up performing songs live. I've found that these rare moments can be the funniest moments and really make a show memorable.

Radiohead is notorious for screwing up and I've witnessed a few Coldplay moments as well. So..................

anyone wanna share some dates/stories?

Old 04-30-2004, 05:36 PM   #2
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:00 AM

This isn't a musical screw-up, but at the Detroit Elevation show, Bono said, "Detroit, Ohio."

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 04-30-2004, 07:14 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:00 AM
Just get a copy of 4-25-97 Las Vegas if you dont already have it. That is about the worst show musically U2 has ever done. Errors on most songs. Bono forgets half the lyrics to songs, Edge's guitar isnt plugged in on Discotheque, they cant play Staring at the Sun AT ALL!, etc...............
Old 04-30-2004, 07:50 PM   #4
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:00 AM
7 November 1987, Denver - Edge plays a wrong note on the Sunday Bloody Sunday riff. I think it was also at this show where they stuff up the beginning of Spanish Eyes and start it again.

8 December 1987, Atlanta - During Bad, Bono begins to sing a verse he's already sung, so he begins improvising new lyrics on the spot.

3 November 1981, Hamburg - Not a stuff-up, but Bono repeatedly stops to yell at some people fighting in the crowd. They started I Will Follow three times.

I just had some others lined up to say, and now I've gone and forgotten them!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-30-2004, 10:17 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:00 AM
August 21st 2001 - how bono was able to preform at this show, i'll never know. If his father passing away wasnt bad enough Dalls (edges guitar tech) forgets to update the change in set-list on edges sheet. so edge goes to start "In a little while" while on bonos sheet its posted as "wake up dead man" the book says bono is compley freaked out when he sees edge with the wrong guitar. After In A Little while, bono rips his set sheet off and goes over to edge (who is away with the faries) according to the u2 book edge mouths "ooh, stuck in a moment"
bonos pretty annoyed for the rest of the show

June 22nd 2001 - East Rutherford : from what i hear on the bootleg edge decides to change his guitar during Sunday Bloody Sunday edges guitar suddenly fades out, bono sings : "theres many lost but tell me who has one......edge is changing his guitar"

June 6th 2001 - cut from the dvd...but theres a mistake where edge starts his solo in Kite a little early

May 11th 1993 - Rotterdam : Day after bonos birthday, band maybe a little hung over...bono shouts "achtung y'all" after the first verse of the fly.

November 11th 1993 - Melbourne - Edge plays the wrong note on the piano at the start of Mysterious Ways.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:29 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Two errors from Elevation I witnessed in person. 5-15-01, they launch into the first performance of 11 O'Clock of the tour and Edge has the wrong guitar. They have to stop, get the right guitar and start over. Edge also messes up the intro to Out Of Control which was the very next song.

Also, I think it was the 5-16-01 (may have been 5-13) Edge's guitar cuts out during the SBS solo and Bono does a vocal version of the solo laughing while Dallas runs out and frantically tries to get Edge's guitar plugged back in.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:37 PM   #7
New Yorker

At a show in Milwaukee or Chicago that I went to for the Elevation Tour, they played One and the guy/ guys who do the background synths/ strings in the song were like totally off from what the band were playing. Bono had to tell them where to go in the middle of the song. It was sort of funny but screwed up the song. IMO, Party Girl solo with Edge screwing up a note on Under a Blood Red Sky was huge considering the way Edge plays and its on major release CD.

Jon Buckland of Coldplay said it best when talking about guitar playing mistakes... (paraphrased) when you have a minimalist style, one wrong note on a mininmalist song with guitar sounds like a really huge mistake.
Old 04-30-2004, 11:40 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:00 AM
One of my favorite parts of the Slane dvd is when Larry and Adam forget to come in during Angel of Harlem.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:38 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
One show in 1980, Edge breaks a guitar string during a song...they leave the stage and don't come back.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:04 AM   #10
Vocal parasite

At the start of Rejoice, 13 December 1981, Edge has to tune up, and Bono jokes with the crowd. 16 August 1981, Slane, Edge has to tune up before Stories For Boys, however that time, Bono makes no jokes.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-01-2004, 02:25 AM   #11
Vocal parasite

Also, I was just listening to 13 November 1981, and during 11 O'clock Tick Tock, Bono asks "You broken a string?" Not totally sure what happens there. The whole band stops during Bono's "La la la" bit (not the one before the riff, the one Bono would sometimes do instead of 'call out your name') and so maybe there was a guitar change then ...

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-01-2004, 04:02 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

1985 - Cant remember where.....but the synthizer breaks down during bad.....Bono : "this is a song called bad............this is very bad!" its really funny bono starts telling jokes....and brings some guy in from the crowd who also tells jokes.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:22 AM   #13
Jesus Online

I find these threads amazing for the focus on detail. Not in a "You're all nerds/geeks" kind of way. It honestly impresses me how you all know this.
Old 05-01-2004, 08:55 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by bono_man2002
1985 - Cant remember where.....but the synthizer breaks down during bad.....Bono : "this is a song called bad............this is very bad!" its really funny bono starts telling jokes....and brings some guy in from the crowd who also tells jokes.
6-22-85 Milton Keynes, England
Old 05-01-2004, 10:05 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

thats the one