When I Look at the World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have an mp3 of the song from the Elevation concert Nov. 27, 2001 in Kansas City, here it is for those who are interested. The song was played almost full length:

http:// www. wikifortio . com /210932/When_I_Look_at_the_World__Kansas2001

roy said:
It's a great song but I'd still rank it behind:

Beautiful Day,
Kite,
Walk On,
Stuck,
In A Little While,
TGBHF

:yes: I'd add NY and POE on that list too.

lazarus said:

Always happy to repost this for those who are missing the better ATYCLB experience.

1. Beautiful Day
2. Elevation
3. Walk On
4. Stuck
5. Peace on Earth
6. Kite
7. New York
8. In a Little While
9. Wild Honey
10. When I Look...
11. Grace

This was changed after a back and forth between Bono & Edge. I think Bono felt you shouldn't have a slow song in the #2 slot. I agree, as Elevation sounds so obnoxious after a song inspired by Hutchence's suicide. Elevation is the most, poppy lightweight song on the album (save Wild Honey), and works in the tradition of EBTTRT and DYFL. Walk On to me is the most thematically important song (and where the album gets its title), and it's nice to have it up a notch where it can introduce the specifics that follow.

Stuck segues better into Peace on Eath, the personal trauma to the public trauma, and then another rumination on mortality/parenthood in Kite. New York marks a nice side 1/side 2 break and kicks the album back into rock mode again; with the release version you have to wait all the way until the end of the album for it to pick up. Then you're right into the Bono/Ali love songs with IALW and Wild Honey, before the return to the larger themes in WILATW, and the coda of Grace.

I read about this track order right when the album came out, burned my own copy, and haven't listen to the release version since a couple days after buying it. It just doesn't flow right, musically or tonally.

thanks bro

lazarus said:

Always happy to repost this for those who are missing the better ATYCLB experience.

last unicorn said:
I have an mp3 of the song from the Elevation concert Nov. 27, 2001 in Kansas City, here it is for those who are interested. The song was played almost full length:

Makes my heart ache, Bono's voice has such beautiful soul. And this was only 3 months after his dad passed.
Thank you, unicorn.

last unicorn said:

Very nice...

I can see this song being made into an "accoustic, B-stage" version after hearing this...

Kind of like the way they did Stay on the Elevation tour...

Back
Top Bottom