When/how did you first become a U2 fan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine is pretty simple. I got ATYCLB in 2001, and I loved it. So I decided to give eighties U2 a try and bought there best of the 80s album. Things haven't been the same since.

My mom was a big Unforgettable Fire fan.. I still have the same cassette tape she bought.

When I was a junior in high school, I bought Achtung Baby -- thought it was pretty good, but U2 was still just another band.. I was still just a typical casual fan and didn't know anything of U2 other than their big commercial hits...

...that is until one weekend, a small local radio station carried their worldwide broadcast of the Dublin '93 (?) concert -- I was blown away. Just amazed.

After hearing that concert, I bought Rattle and Hum and Joshua Tree.. was amazed at how good the non-singles were.. bought Boy and October out of further curiosity (I'd never heard anything off either album -- never heard of either album, period) and was amazed at how good they were from beginning to end. I bought Zooropa the day it came out and haven't looked back.

when i was little, my brother always blasted mysterious ways and the fly on his stereo. this was obviously in late '91 when the album came out. so ive been a fan since i was 7 or 8.

Well, I'm a since 1983/1984
And I was born in 5th of May 1984
When I still was inside my mum by brother usually put some kind of phones with u2 songs her belly. Maybe that was the start.

But the real, real, real start was 1993. My brother had a Acthung Baby tape and I listened to it and it just blew my mind. From that day I vowed "Fuck all the other bands. U2 are music Gods."

Nowadays I listen to a lot of stuff starting with Doom Metal to other lighter stuff, but U2 is always U2. When I die I want all the Albums, phones and a cd player with me in the cuffin. If people doesn't do that my soul will always hunt them down and they won't be able to sleep EVER... ever again.

the memory of becoming a u2 fan.

well, i was 10, the year 1980. my brother, 4 years older than me, received boy for his birthday from our oldest brother. he listened to it once, decided that he hated it and threw it in my room. being the youngest and the only girl in the family, i rarely received any form of music for my birthdays, except abba. being curious with the title of the group i asked mum if i could put it on her tape deck. from the moment that i heard the first drum beat i was hooked. i gave mum all the abba albums back and told her that if she wished to buy me any more music it had to be from the band called u2. my brother told her not to worry about it. his exact word were "they wont make another album, the lead singer cant sing a note"!!!

it gives me great pleasure these days, 24 years later, to keep informing my brother that the band that he said had no talent is still making excellent music. i love my brother. :happy:

beau2ifulday said:

*love for you*
:hug:
I became a fan two years ago this Christmas Day. Santa bought me the joy of liking U2, and it was the best present I ever recieved.

Right back at ya! :hug: BTW my license plate is "BEU2FUL" - kinda funny!

:hug: for starsgoblue too. I'm still in search mode in the whole God thing. I got a really crappy start in life and I'm a bit ticked off with God - can't really understand why God would allow such horrific things to happen to innocent children. But that's another discussion in another thread altogether. Your comments were quite moving to me, though. Don't ever be shy about sharing that story - it may be just the thing that a lost soul needs.

I understand Popsadie's comment, "Belonging has always been hard for me" - but I have to say, I've been incredibly fortunate to have seen U2 10 times (2 ZooTV, 1 Pop, 7 Elevation) and it's never been difficult to fit in with U2 fans at a U2 concert. A few of the Elevation concerts I went to by myself and soon ended up standing with friends rather than strangers. I've never had that experience at other concerts. Can't wait to see them in '05!

OMG shy I LOVE LOVE LOVE your Vertigo photo! :heart:

TONS of :heart: and :hug: to HelloAngel!!!! I'm so glad to hear your story.

Everyone's stories are so wonderful - thanks for sharing them! That's one of the things I just love about U2 - the culture of love that they've given all of us. Plus Bono's really, really HOT!
:bono: = :love: + :drool:

:heart: to everyone! You're all so BEAUTIFUL! I love chatting with you guys; feel free to drop me a personal email if you feel so inclined.

Last edited:
My father played Under A Blood Red Sky over and over again (to the irritation of my mom) when I was about 6 years old. When they played in Rotterdam in 1987 there was this girl in my class that went to the gig with her older sister (we were both 9 at that time). I really wanted to go, but my parents wouldn't let me (wise choice looking back on it!). When they came back to Europe for the Zoo TV tour I was 13 or 14 and my dad took me and my older sister to a gig in Dortmund (Germany). That was the final push...

Back
Top Bottom