When did you start to like and love U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JCOSTER said:
Two Hearts Beat as One - Liked them.
New Years Day - Loved them.
Live Aid - Hook line and sinker.

a 26 year love affair :heart:

actually I have to add Live at Red Rocks - Fell in Love with Bono and the boys.
then Live aid - Hook Line and Sinker

AtomicBono said:
Discotheque 1997 9 years old

one listen and U2 were my favourite band

Wow, same thing happened to me, only I was 11. Awesome. I saw the video for Discotheque on MTV and I was like, "What the? Who are these guys?" LOL.

For me it's surreal, because I even remember the exact day. December 25, 1991. 17 years old. Christmas morning. Achtung Baby, which was a present to myself (because my parents were giving me my first CD player, so I had started buying CD's the week before Xmas). Achtung Baby was the first one I put in, and I haven't stopped listening to it since :)

First time i ever heard and saw them was when i saw the Elevation video...after that, i went out to go buy ATYCLB....then i discovered my dad had joshua tree and achtung baby so i "borrowed" them from him. this was back in 2001.

Liked them when I heard Pride - Loved them when I saw them in Paris in 1987 while on a H.S. trip to Europe :drool:

I saw Pride on TV in the eighties and I didn't know what to think.To me they were fascinating and annoying at the same time.I don't know how to explain this.I became a fan when I heard Achtung Baby being played back to back at a party I went to.It was absolutely incredible.Then I saw clips of Zoo TV live in 1992 and since then I'm addicted.

MsGiggles said:
Liked them when I heard Pride - Loved them when I saw them in Paris in 1987 while on a H.S. trip to Europe :drool:

Wow - that's an awesome little detour during a H.S. trip, eh? Come to think of it I was just watching them perform The Unforgettable Fire in Paris on YouTube and I believe it was from 87. Maybe it was the show you were at.

Umm, I first started liking U2 when I heard Elevation in 2000 when I was 8, and I've loved them ever since!! :D

I was thirteen when I started liking U2. It came with the video for Beautiful Day. I tried to deny its infectious quality (it wasn't very cool to like U2 then, and you tend to worry about what other people think at that age) but I found myself humming the melody nonstop. So off I went to get ATYCLB, and the U2 relationship started. Between birthdays and holidays, I managed to get my hands on the entire back catalogue within two years.

EDIT: Someone should start a When Did You Start To Like And Love U2 Less? thread. Just kidding, just kidding. ;)

Last edited:
I was 15. I turned on the television late at night and saw a clip of the US stadium leg of ZOO TV with Bono's routine during Mysterious Ways. That was it. By the time Zoomerang came to Melbourne I was a rabid fan and at the MCG to see them.

I was 12 in 1985. My best friend in the sixth grade always talked about this Irish college radio band called U2. On the last day of school, he brought in a tape of the Unforgettable Fire. I listened to it, but thought this was the strangest music I have ever heard (I was used to pop music like Madonna, Prince, Van Halen and Michael Jackson back then. :reject:.

So later that summer, I would always watch this music video program on regular TV since I didn't have cable and MTV. They would show videos like Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood and such, but they also always showed the video for the Unforgettable Fire. I was so mesmerized by the music and the video, how surreal it was for this guy to walk in the snow with the song going "Walk On By, Walk On Through, Walk Till You Run and Don't Look Back For Here." I was so moved by that video and song. It still gives me chills.

Then Live Aid happened. And I remembered seeing these gigantic flags that said U2, waving in the crowd. I thought, "Man, this band must be really incredible." I never got to see U2's performance during Live Aid, unfortunately.

Then it was 1986 and I totally forgot about U2 and was instead a big Bon Jovi fan. :reject:

But when WOWY came out in early 1987, I remembered this band and had to find out more about them. I got the Joshua Tree and fell asleep listening to it for the first time. Again, I wasn't used to this serious music. I was used to pop music. But I loved their style and that they were so different and serious. And I was hooked.

To this day, they will always be my No. 1 band of all-time, regardless of what other people think of them.

That's my story. Sorry it was long.

U2 have never been the cool band to listen to but there is a lot of closet fans out there....and im glad to see some of them turned into hardcore fans:)

Liked: When Beautiful Day came out, I was 10, so I didn't have a great interest in music at that point.

Loved: When I bought HTDAAB - I was hooked, within the space of a year, I had bought all the albums and all the DVDs.

Aprox "84.....I heard New Year's Day on the radio and it pretty much steered me down the U2 path.......20 something years later still hooked!!!!

It was early one morning in the late winter/early spring of 1987. I was listening to the radio while getting dressed and I heard the most beautiful song imaginable. It seemed to come from a whole different world than anything else on the radio at the time. It turned out it was by this band called U2 and it was called "With or Without You." I was obssessed from that moment on.

September of 2004, I sat down to try to come up with my Top 200 song list (crazy, I know!) and when I was going back over the songs I liked when I was younger, I had never realized how many of them U2 sang, until they showed up on my list 9 times!
Then when they were on the iPod commercial in November, I fell in love with Vertigo and asked for the CD for my birthday. Started loving the CD, asked for The Joshua Tree for Christmas, since that was the CD which contained a lot of the songs I knew the best. Downloaded some other songs (I know, that's not good, but I've since bought a lot of the albums!) In October of 2005, my neighbor asked if I wanted to go see the Vertigo Tour with him (thanks to that concert, that neighbor has now been my boyfriend for almost a year) and I was so mesmerized by how they sounded live. The next day I went out and bought ATYCLB, and for Christmas, asked for Achtung Baby, War & The Best of 1990-2000. I've since bought almost all the rest of them, and have been taking my time listening to them in order as if they were just now coming out. (I'm still just mainly on Boy. I can't pull myself away yet!) My boyfriend has been a huge fan since he was 7 (Achtung Baby era), but I think I'm becoming almost as big a fan as he is now!

I heard Sunday Bloody Sunday on TV and kept thinking that I needed to buy that CD, finally got around to it, and then proceeded to buy every other CD that U2 put out. :D

I couldn't believe how current and good War sounded, especially for being from 1983. Then, after buying all the other CDs, I couldn't believe how many songs were by U2 and I didn't even know it, like Mysterious Ways. I had liked that song for a long time and just didn't know it was by U2.

I like them since 1987, my 3 eldest brothers went to see them at this big concert JT TOUR (over 80 000 people which was very huge here in 87) and my parents wouldn't let me go since i was only 12 ! I still ressent them almost 20 years later, spend the whole night crying and listening to JT. I still has the T-Shirt mys brothers brought me home from that gig.

I LOVE them since 91 (actually i fall in love with Acthung Baby (still my favorite) AND Edge and his marvelous black t shirt (i got over that teenage crush since)).

Never missed one of their near-my home gig since.

I think in this forum we should add when your love began to decline and then also when it turned to hate :wink:

Back
Top Bottom