When Did You Last Cry and Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Adam: Probably during the album because it was a very confusing time but emotionally I always get very fucked up after a tour. When you come back you have to settle in to normal life again, it's just very very frustrating to have had something taken away from you which is your whole reason for existence, you know you get up every day knowing you're going to do a show each night and then when that's all over you have to come back and like pay the electricity bill and open the door to the postman or whatever it is, there is a frustration there and an emotional confusion about who and where you are and what your're doing. I find I tend to cry a lot then.

BP: And is there a loneliness involved in that?

Adam: I think life is lonely. No matter what you do at the end of the day it's down to your decision, your choices, nobody can make those for you and I think that's lonely.

Larry: (Long, long pause) I'm not going to answer that.

Bono: I suppose I do everything in extremes-laugh a lot, cry a lot, fight a lot, make love a lot, eat too much, drink too much, try to much, cry too much. Pass the onion...

Edge: When I saw "Spinal Tap" cos it's all true.

BP: DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES?

Edge: Yes! That U2 have got this far! I believe in miracles and prayer and faith.

Larry: I always believe there's a chance through hope, faith or downright miracles.

Bono: Yes. Most people who make music see the spirit move in some way.

Adam: Yeah. We made 'Achtung Baby'. I think it's a miracle that U2 are still together and alive and making records, considering the odds against us. Bit of a miracle, that. I'm not saying it in a profound sense but certainly knowing that we got this far convinces me that there must be things at work.

BP: Are you amazed at it?

Adam: By the success of the band? Yeah, I am. I'm generally in awe of it that four people who really didn't know their arse from their elbows and were wet behind their ears can actually travel the world and meet people.

BP: DO YOU EVER WISH YOU WERE A WOMEN?

Adam: Yeah, I think I'd be a much better woman than I am a man. I think my talents are more in that direction. I don't mind dressing up, I don't think it makes that much difference, not really. I'd love to wear women's underwear if the sizes were right but they don't really support you, you just tend to flop one way or the other.

Larry: I never even thought about it to be honest with you.

Edge: I wondered what it would be like, more than wished I was. I'm still fascinated by what it would be like, yeah and just their minds, the way they think, ooh. There's a few people I'd love to get inside their heads you know, Pontius Pilot, Judas Iscariot, Charles Manson, you know just people you cannot fathom. And all women.

Bono: When we did the drag shoot, Edge looked like the Winnie The Witch, Adam looked like the Duchess of York, Larry looked like an extra from some skin flick and I looked like....Barbara Bush.

BP: HAVE YOU EVER TOLD A LIE?

Bono: Everything I say is a lie.

Larry: Yeah. Somebody rang on the phone yesterday and I asked a friend to say I wasn't there. I fib, but I don't lie.

Adam: Yeah, all the time.

Edge: Oh yes. The biggest one is " Yes I can play" when I got my first paying gig, playing with The Drifting Cowboys. They were a country band who played in the heartland of Ireland, doing songs by people I hated at the time, people like George Jones and Hank Williams who since I've grown to love. Larry and myself played a few gigs with them, and my brother Dik too. Larry fell asleep one New Year's Eve at 3 a.m. playing the drums and nobody noticed.

BP: DO YOU HAVE ANY SECRETS?

Edge: Oh yeah, lots of secrets, you know a secret is something you only tell one other person. Wow, I have to tell you one? I used to have a Led Zeppelin album. Actually it was my brother's but I did listen to it a few times. Led Zeppelin IV. That's the one isn't it really? In the latter years I got into the early albums just to catch the vibe. Other secrets? No I can't.....

Adam: Yeah, lots of them.
BP: What?
Adam: I can't remember.

Larry: Yes, lots.
BP: Will you tell me one?
Larry: No.

Bono: Yes. A secret's something you tell one other person and I'm not telling you, child (laughing).

The above questions and answers come from an interview BP Fallon did with the band in 1992 during the ZOO TV tour.

I thought this was going to be a topic about crying while listening to U2 songs. :| :eyebrow: It's a great interview, nice find.

Adam: Yeah, I think I'd be a much better woman than I am a man. I think my talents are more in that direction. I don't mind dressing up, I don't think it makes that much difference, not really. I'd love to wear women's underwear if the sizes were right but they don't really support you, you just tend to flop one way or the other.

Larry: I never even thought about it to be honest with you.

Yin and Yang. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom