When Did Bono *Really* Start Smoking? -As Well As The Answers To Many Other Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He also used the oxygen mask during the Achtung Baby tour too the Zooropa leg, he had it pumped with steam to soothe his throat. He was quoting as saying it helped him reach "notes he really isn't supposed to hit." He also said the other guys in the band liked him using it because he wasn't allowed to talk for hours.

I think--but don't know, of course--that Bono did some smoking and drinking and stuff before he turned 30. Yes, they had that squeaky-clean image, but that's right about smoking and social acceptability. Smoking wasn't as disreputable as it is now twenty or some odd years ago. Buildings didn't have smoking laws. It was all different.

david said:
I heard that some singers start smoking because it adds a certain roughness to the voice.
Well, it worked brilliantly on Achtung Baby. Unfotunately, that's where it ended. But hey, we got one brilliant album out of his perfectly raspy vocals.

I think it's a delicate balance. If you get too raspy, the vocals just sound flat (which I think is what happened on Pop and even during some of the Elevation shows). On AB, however, Bono could switch back forth, almost simultaneously, between the full out vocal, the mid range tenor, and into the throaty edges. Just listen to 'One' for a perfect example. For that one album, the cigs gave him that perfectly imperfect voice.

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
You have to remember and consider though that smoking was not nearly as attacked and villianized in the 80's as it is today. It was before all the 'butt head' commercials and the lawsuits against the tobacco companies which brought about the onslaught of anti-smoking campaigns, and the no smoking laws in buildings. There has always been some sort of 'don't smoke' message going around but it was not like it is now. Back then, the 'cool' characters in movies and shows could still smoke, whereas today, with all the anti-smoking propaganda, now only the 'bad guy' in shows smokes (ever notice that?) and there are subtly laid anti-smoking messages in kids' shows, like 'who wants to go out with him, he SMOKES!!' So, what I'm saying is, back then there would have been no reason to conceal smoking to maintain a 'good' image. As someone who lived through the 80's as a teenager, an older age than most of you were, I can tell you that the 'goody' image you hear about in those days has been highly exaggerated by time and picking up a few words here and there in an article, you tend to form a view of them that wasn't really accurate. I don't think they ever set out to put forth that kind of image, it just happened, because of their well known religious beliefs and that they just weren't wild and outrageous partiers or as promiscuous as most of the other 80's rock stars were.

So, what I mean is, if they did smoke, I don't think they purposely hid it, it's just they never posed with a cigarette until it became part of the image in 1991. I also don't think any kid is going to start smoking because they saw someone on TV do it- they are much more influenced by their peers. Still, I have always wondered just when he started smoking, but not for these reasons. I'm sure someone can enlighten us.

:yes:.

I totally agree with you on this.

Same with what Saracene and amberdawn said in regards to Bono "influencing" people to smoke.

Angela

I want it to be clear to everyone that I don't believe Bono ever tried to "influence" people to smoke. Obviously that was not his intention. I simply think that he glamorized it to some degree, and there have been some impressionable people who were influenced by that as a result. That is a statement that is difficult to argue against. We've even got someone who posted on this thread saying that it happened to them. I'm sure there are many more people that it happened to, other than that one person who just happened to be reading Interference. And yes, it's entirely possible that anyone who would start smoking because of Bono would have smoked anyway, but that is simply a matter of opinion - and really, is besides the point, as the question still remains: which would you prefer to be the initial trigger to someone taking up smoking? Bono's actions (of glamorizing the image of smoking) or something else?

Once again, I'm not trying to point fingers; I'm simply trying to have an open discussion. This could end up leading to a discussion on violence in films and what role that plays in N. American society, too. It's funny that what started out as Bono imitating art (Elvis, Jim Morrison, Lou Reed...), ended up influencing life once again. It's the age old debate - art imitating life or the other way around? It's a full circle that never stops, always repeats itself, yet evolves nonetheless...

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
1. That mask in the above pic was the one used for the Elevation tour. I saw the story when it was new. That pic was taken aboard Elevation air. I have heard that he had to use that breathing thing on the airplane or the air on the plane would hurt his voice.

Funny... I saw this picture when it was "new" as well - and it was during the POPMart era. :scratch:

Michael Griffiths said:

Well, it worked brilliantly on Achtung Baby. Unfotunately, that's where it ended. But hey, we got one brilliant album out of his perfectly raspy vocals.

I think it's a delicate balance. If you get too raspy, the vocals just sound flat (which I think is what happened on Pop and even during some of the Elevation shows).

Er, Michael, his vocals were just fine on Pop. :p

doctorwho said:

Funny... I saw this picture when it was "new" as well - and it was during the POPMart era. :scratch:

Maybe it was a different one, every time I've ever seen that pic, it was always labeled as being aboard Elevation air. It told how Bono had complained that some airlines' bad air quality damaged his voice, and how he had to use that thing. The only way to tell for sure is if we can get a bigger version and see if h he as any hair :lol: :sexywink:

And I still don't think any kid is going to smoke just because Bono looks cool with a cigarette :rolleyes: He's not the only famous person out there smoking either, and I still believe kids are more influenced by the other kids they hang around with.

*resists temptation to post several pics of Bono looking so gorgeous in One with the cigarette in the picture* :cute:

pub crawler said:

Er, Michael, his vocals were just fine on Pop. :p
I know, I know. On a purely technical level, his vocals on Pop are some of his best ever IMO. What it really comes down to is taste, I guess. I prefer the fuller vocal on albums such as UF, JT, R&H, and AB. By the the time U2 did AB, his voice was beginning the raspy stage, which just added that edge and dimension. By the time they recorded Zooropa, Bono was beginning to lose that fullness, but still had the richness. Zooropa contains some of my all time favourite vocals. 'Zooropa', 'Lemon' and 'Stay' are all incredible, and even 'Some Days Are Better...' has wonderful moments (I love the way he sings, "...and you hear a VOICE, taking you to another place...").

Today, Bono still has an amazing voice. Therefore, I want it also to be clear that I don't think that smoking has ruined Bono's voice. The new version of 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress' contains perhaps Bono's best vocals EVER.

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:

I know, I know. On a purely technical level, his vocals on Pop are some of his best ever IMO. What it really comes down to is taste, I guess. I prefer the fuller vocal on albums such as UF, JT, R&H, and AB. By the the time U2 did AB, his voice was beginning the raspy stage, which just added that edge and dimension. By the time they recorded Zooropa, Bono was beginning to lose that fullness, but still had the richness. Zooropa contains some of my all time favourite vocals. 'Zooropa', 'Lemon' and 'Stay' are all incredible, and even 'Some Days Are Better...' has wonderful moments (I love the way he sings, "...and you hear a VOICE, taking you to another place...").

Today, Bono still has an amazing voice. Therefore, I want it also to be clear that I don't think that smoking has ruined Bono's voice. The new version of 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress' contains perhaps Bono's best vocals EVER.

I agree. They're great.

Michael Griffiths said:
I want it to be clear to everyone that I don't believe Bono ever tried to "influence" people to smoke. Obviously that was not his intention. I simply think that he glamorized it to some degree, and there have been some impressionable people who were influenced by that as a result. That is a statement that is difficult to argue against. We've even got someone who posted on this thread saying that it happened to them. I'm sure there are many more people that it happened to, other than that one person who just happened to be reading Interference. And yes, it's entirely possible that anyone who would start smoking because of Bono would have smoked anyway, but that is simply a matter of opinion - and really, is besides the point, as the question still remains: which would you prefer to be the initial trigger to someone taking up smoking? Bono's actions (of glamorizing the image of smoking) or something else?

If I remember correctly, the person who mentioned taking up smoking because, after all, Bono was doing it too, has also mentioned going through some hardships at the time. I got the impression that these hard circumstances were the initial trigger that has led to smoking rather than the case of, "oh cool, Bono's smoking, maybe I should start, too!" The glamorisation of smoking undoubtedly has an influence, but the very core reasons run much, much deeper IMO.

About Bono's vocals on AB: it's only my personal perception, of course, but to me they always sounded as if he was trying a bit too hard to make his voice sound deeper and raspier, and some of the vocals sound too forced and strangled. On the other hand, in terms of live singing, ZooTV was probably a peak time for Bono's voice: the power -and- the control all merging together to create manna for the ears, :).

Saracene -

You make a good point about the deeper issues that cause people to make those choices, and I agree with you. That's why I mentioned that very point early in the thread. I never thought that Bono's actions were the primary reason for anything. However, there are all kinds of triggers, as mentioned, and deeper reasons, to me, are a separate issue. I don't have the answers. I'm simply asking the question. :)

Ana said:
In Mexico we also have HUGE amounts of alcoholics :rolleyes:

We do in the US too. I know some of them myself :grumpy: I don't know why some countries get stereotyped as drunks, I'm sure we all have them! :yes: :drunk:

HI ANA! :wave: :hug: So good to see you! I was thinking about you just a few days ago posting some Bono pics I knew you'd like! Please stop by PLEBA more often, we miss you!! :sad:

The Pictures of Bono smoking attempting to light a cigarette during the Boy area were apart of the stage show, the cigarette act it was called. I'd like to see someone find a picture of any of the bandmembers smoking before 1987 offstage.

Michael Griffiths said:
Saracene -

You make a good point about the deeper issues that cause people to make those choices, and I agree with you. That's why I mentioned that very point early in the thread. I never thought that Bono's actions were the primary reason for anything. However, there are all kinds of triggers, as mentioned, and deeper reasons, to me, are a separate issue. I don't have the answers. I'm simply asking the question. :)

I think I had said something like that. let me clarify: I did not start smoking because of bono; I just tried to rationalize it as "hey, how could this be that bad for you? bono and a million others do it".:der:

whatever the triggers were, it doesn't matter now; what matters is that I quit and would never go back.:yes:

JOFO said:

I think I had said something like that. let me clarify: I did not start smoking because of bono; I just tried to rationalize it as "hey, how could this be that bad for you? bono and a million others do it".:der:

whatever the triggers were, it doesn't matter now; what matters is that I quit and would never go back.:yes:
This is a great example of a discussion bringing positive real life viewpoints to the table. I commend you JOFO for your honesty, as well as for being strong enough to quit!

I think what it comes down to in the end, is Bono is an artist, and has to express himself as one (by that I mean being true to himself and what he's trying to get across). How far should an artist go in that self-expression might be the better question to ask. Perhaps there should be no limits? But we all know there are limits, inherent to the society in which we live. I don't think these questions are meant to necessarily provoke concrete answers - simply a better understanding of how things are and should or should not be. It's really up to us to come with these kinds of conclusions for ourselves, I suppose.

Joshua_Tree_Hugger said:
Ireland isn't "so alcoholic". Some people there are alcoholics, yes, but some people in the U.S., the U.K., Canada etc. are alcoholics too.
thanks for taking one sentence of mine, unrelated to the thread, and quoting it out of context.

Back
Top Bottom