when did Bono kick the cup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aski

Acrobat
i'm thinking about the Tempe 10 April 1992 show.

in the great book "U2 - Live: A Concert documentary" by Pimm Jal De La Para, Bono kicked a cup of water during this show all the way back to the mixing desk.

during which song did this happen??

is it possible to hear it during the bootleg of the show?

just from listening to the bootleg of the show, it sounds as if it happens during Bullet The Blue Sky. There's some distortion and the middle eight (the guitar solo) sounds a bit rough, as if the band discovers what Bono just did.

according to the documentary book, the crew had to use hair dryers throughout the rest of the entire show to avoid the mixing desk collapsing.

I'm having a hard time understanding this...

If I remember ZooTV correctly they had the 'b-stage' that projected out, but the mixing desk was still a ways from that stage. I have a hard time believing Bono could kick a cup of water that far, and I have an even harder time believing that by the time it hit the desk that there was enough water left in the cup to even disturb the desk or that it would be audible in a bootleg.:huh:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I'm having a hard time understanding this...

If I remember ZooTV correctly they had the 'b-stage' that projected out, but the mixing desk was still a ways from that stage. I have a hard time believing Bono could kick a cup of water that far, and I have an even harder time believing that by the time it hit the desk that there was enough water left in the cup to even disturb the desk or that it would be audible in a bootleg.:huh:

well, it's hard to imagine possible yes, but i quote from "U2 - Live A Concert Documentary" by Pimm Jal De La Para (page 145):

"When he (Bono) drop-kicks a cup of water, it flies all the way to the mixing desk and spills down into the control panels. Bono looks startled and offers a shepish mouthed apology, leaving the technicians to blow-dry the panels throughout the show."

also, in Propaganda issue 17, the incident is mentioned (page 45):

Fact 39 (out of "69 things you never knew about life in the zoo", by Willie Williams):

"At the (very small) ASU activities centre in Tempe, Arizona, Bono kicked a cup of water from the stage which remained full as it sailed over the crowd and landed directly on the lightning console. The console instantly ceased to function."

Well, he is a European, so kicking is no problem for him ;)

He doesn't wear soft shoes, so he could easily kick very hard, and the water filled cup would have enough weight to fly a bit.

The water could stay in the cup, e.g. if the cup turned around while flying or the open side would head forward. It's like a bucket filled with water that you swing around. The centrifugal force presses the water inside.

Even a quarter-full cup could contain enough water to cause some trouble when it reaches th desk.

And, like Willie said, the venue was very small.

Fair enough, the venue is pretty small. And I was imagining that the cup was on stage and he kicked it, but apparantly he drop kicked it. Also I was picturing a plastic dixie cup that would normally crack and spill the water as soon as you kicked it... But being that it landed on the lighting console, I doubt you can hear anything in a bootleg...

Last edited:
Oh, so that's what you meant.For a moment I thought this was about the cup we talk about on PLEBA :eek:

Back
Top Bottom