What's your personal favorite U2 song so far and why ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KL70

Babyface
For a school essay being done on U2, I'm trying to gather from (preferably advanced) fans, their most eloquent, articulate comment/s on their personal favorite U2 song (not easy I know) so far and why, as opposed to just naming a song and saying nothing else about it.

If anyonce can offer links to any great U2 fanpage/s, where any fan/s offers extremely interesting, quite eloquent comment on many of U2 songs, links to any such site/s would be much appreciated.

madonna's child said:
certainly not Interference. The fans there suck. :| :tongue:

What the fuck is this? :rolleyes:

Hey girl, I?m sorry but all I can see is someone asking for help. So why not helping him/her? Am I missing something here? :confused:

Anyways...Welcome KL70. You?ll find my answer below at Zootopia as well ;)

My personal fave U2 song has always been Bad, since the first time I heard it. It was during that remarkable event I saw on TV in 1985, the Live Aid concert. Bad has moved me throughout the years. The song has this special power over me, sometimes healing, sometimes magical. I have caught myself held spellbound by this song for so many times. Everything in the song is perfect, its haunting melody, meaningful lyrics, so much passion and despair in Bono?s voice. I love U2 and the amazing music they have created so far but no other song can replace Bad in my heart.

follower said:

Hey girl, I?m sorry but all I can see is someone asking for help. So why not helping him/her? Am I missing something here? :confused:
He came to Interference, a fan community, asking for links to other fan sites. Why didn't he ask for our opinions and insights? There are many "advanced" fans here who have eloquent, intelligent things to say about their favorite U2 songs. Why didn't he ask for our opinions? I was just a little insulted.

Responding again, maybe (judging from the title) you did ask for our opinions, KL70. But you didn't phrase it very well, and I think it came out badly.

Don't let me give the impression that people here are mean. ...well, some of the boys are. :tongue:

madonna's child said:

He came to Interference, a fan community, asking for links to other fan sites. Why didn't he ask for our opinions and insights? There are many "advanced" fans here who have eloquent, intelligent things to say about their favorite U2 songs. Why didn't he ask for our opinions? I was just a little insulted.

Well dear, so it might be this tricky language of yours...because what I got from the first paragraph is that he/she is asking for our insights/comments on our fave songs for a school paper and also about sites on the same subject...so I felt quite the opposite of you. Really.

What is an "advanced" fan????

To the point of this thread, my favorite song is Where The Streets Have No Name. I find something inherently spiritual in the sound of this song - to me it sounds like ascension into heaven or "meeting Jesus in the air".

I have quite a lot favourite songs Always, Two Shots Of Happy, Sort f Homecoming, Love Comes Tumbling,...

...but Love Is Blindness is most of the time my very no 1. The lyrics are simply...hmm.......amazing's not even the right word.....they're even better than amazing.........well, however and Edge's solo is the great, emotional, simply breath taking......that wasn't any help for you, but I can't even describe what I feel for that song. :shrug:

Mysterious Ways- The best way to describe it is a lifetime's worth of passion bottled into three and a half minutes. This song amazes me; the emotions are so raw and exciting. It is amazing how sex and spirituality compliment each other. Edge and Adam do outstanding work, while Bono's lyrics are some of my all time favorite.

Personal favorite U2 song for me would be "Angel Of Harlem". First time I heard that song was on the radio, and I loved it right away. It's just the way Bono sings the song, the horns, the part toward the end that you just want to belt out when it comes on the radio ("Angel in the devil's shoes, salvation in the blues, you never looked like an angel")-makes me feel like dancing along the sidewalk on a winter night downtown during Christmastime or something. It's a fabulous song, one of my absolute, all-time favorite U2 songs, it's one of their best songs they've recorded. And the lyrics rock as well, so...:D.

Angela

Many thanks for the replies received so far and I'd appreciate a few more.

My favorite song is Walk On, the LP version. I've got a bunch of other favorites, but this song is the best for me. I remember the first time I heard it. My friend had downloaded the track off the net a few moths before ATYCLB came out and played it for me. My head started doin' the U2 headbop and that's when I knew this song kicked ass. Plus, with all the shit that's happened in my life and the world the last 2 years, this song was there to help me get through it. Indeed, all that you fashion.

Last edited:
My personal favorite U2 song so far would have to be "The Fly".

The song is just pure madness. In between the harsh guitar cracks, thundering bass riffs, and calloused drum trashing there are words of insects, cannibals, poets, liars, friends, and women. When I first heard the song I was blown away. The distorted Cohen-esque vocal deadly blinded by the "Fat Lady" singing sweet, spiritual, sexy testimony.

All the words ring true and remain ringing through out hours of insomnia and dark days full of dirt and gloss and pain and love and poetry and lust and inteligence and distortion and melancholy and fame and shadows and gambles and war.

The song changed the way I heard music. Changed the way I wrote music. It changed the sunglasses that I wore. It changed the way I walked. It changed the way I talked. The song made me feel that it's alright to lean back and say, "fuck it." It made the dark get darker and the bright lights shine with more gospel eroticism.

It's more than just a song. It's a state of mind. They call it the sound of 4 men chopping down the Joshua Tree. The LV says it was written like a man talking to his wife from a phone in Hell - but he liked it there. And just when you think you'd heard the last of the egomaniac - he gets reinvented and meaner.

The egomaniac turns and burns into a "sad motherfucker". He runs, he shouts, he bites, he kicks, he claws... he cries. The song is just filled to the brim with madness, fear, and love. No song can top it. This is the song that "kicks darkness to bleed daylight" - except no day light pours through any cuts or skin shatterings.

The song is madness. It shows you that true Insanity is having all the answers when there are no questions. It'll take you, shake you, and leave you lying in the gutter while feeling like a million bucks...

-[z]-

Zoocifer,

Just wanted to say...what a great, eloquent, breathtaking way to describe your fave song, The Fly, that is. I really enjoyed reading it. So congrats and thanks.

:up:

My personal favey is "All I Want Is You" from Rattle and Hum.

you say you want diamonds on a ring of gold
you say you want your story to remain untold
but all the promises we make from the cradle to the grave...
when all I want is you...

I love this song for a few reasons. For me, it sums up what Bono seems to be saying in almost every love song by U2: that love overpowers all things. Love overcomes the desire for material possessions (see also "The First Time"), the noise of the outside world (see also "Promenade," "Two Hearts Beat as One"), and even all the difficulties and trials between two people who love each other (see "The Sweetest Thing," "In a Little While").

Outside of the lyrical beauty of this song, it's also a lovely tune musically. It stars with a quiet, introspective bass line and Bono's voice at its Joshua Tree-era prime: sexy, contemplative, plaintive. The music builds all the way through the song, steadily and never outpacing itself, until the heart-wrenching coda at which Bono can only wail "You...all Iwant is you...all I want is you..." His voice is aching but never whining, and Edge's guitar reverberates almost mystically behind. The song then recedes to the quiet strings that close the song with both sadness and dignity.

Not that I've given this any thought, or anything like that.

follower said:
Zoocifer,

Just wanted to say...what a great, eloquent, breathtaking way to describe your fave song, The Fly, that is. I really enjoyed reading it. So congrats and thanks.

:up:

Why thank you, follower. I really appreciate your compliment.

-[z]-

For me it's Kite:
Everyone, no matter what age can find something in this song. Everyone has loved and everyone has lost. To me it's about letting go, even when you want to hold on so tightly. A song that for me, explodes the naive notion of fate controling your life. That none of us know where this world or life will take us, or where the wind will blow us. We have very little control of what happens around us, even less control of what others do. And the only thing we can really control, or at least try to control is our own state of mind. It's also a song about growing up, growing old, coming of age, however you want to see it. And coming to grips with doing what you can for yourself and those you care about in our short time here. the song is pure beautiful emotion.

Best verse out of the many great verses:

In summer I can taste the salt of the sea
there's a kite blowing out of control on the breeze
I wonder what's gonna happen to you
You wonder what has happened to me
I'm a man, I'm not a child
A man who sees, the shadow behind your eyes.

Last edited:
Zoocifer said:
My personal favorite U2 song so far would have to be "The Fly".

The song is just pure madness. In between the harsh guitar cracks, thundering bass riffs, and calloused drum trashing there are words of insects, cannibals, poets, liars, friends, and women. When I first heard the song I was blown away. The distorted Cohen-esque vocal deadly blinded by the "Fat Lady" singing sweet, spiritual, sexy testimony.

All the words ring true and remain ringing through out hours of insomnia and dark days full of dirt and gloss and pain and love and poetry and lust and inteligence and distortion and melancholy and fame and shadows and gambles and war.

The song changed the way I heard music. Changed the way I wrote music. It changed the sunglasses that I wore. It changed the way I walked. It changed the way I talked. The song made me feel that it's alright to lean back and say, "fuck it." It made the dark get darker and the bright lights shine with more gospel eroticism.

It's more than just a song. It's a state of mind. They call it the sound of 4 men chopping down the Joshua Tree. The LV says it was written like a man talking to his wife from a phone in Hell - but he liked it there. And just when you think you'd heard the last of the egomaniac - he gets reinvented and meaner.

The egomaniac turns and burns into a "sad motherfucker". He runs, he shouts, he bites, he kicks, he claws... he cries. The song is just filled to the brim with madness, fear, and love. No song can top it. This is the song that "kicks darkness to bleed daylight" - except no day light pours through any cuts or skin shatterings.

The song is madness. It shows you that true Insanity is having all the answers when there are no questions. It'll take you, shake you, and leave you lying in the gutter while feeling like a million bucks...

-[z]-

Ladies and gentlemen, I think this post pretty much sums up "The Fly" perfectly, musically and lyrically.

Great description of this song. Absolutely excellent.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom