What's your favorite part on the Boston DVD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kariatari

War Child
I personally love watching "Elevation" on Disc 2 and watching the crowd go wild. It makes me feel like I'm back at the concert! AAAAH!
biggrin.gif

How bout you guys?

Yeah, I especially like Influx and the first minute of Elevation as viewed from the fancam on disk 2 and I like watching the disk 2 directorcam view of WOWY when Bono kisses the girl and she's overcome with emotion, to which Hamish Hamilton exclaims, "OOOOHHH! I'm having a moment, guys!"

*jealous cause her poor father couldn't find the DVD anywhere in the area*

But great stories! Especially the WOWY one, I would definitely be "having a moment" too!

------------------
"A Bono approved event is a good event!"

You can dream, so dream out loud!

"The way to be optimistic is not to shut your eyes and close your ears." -Bono

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

When Hamish goes off at the start of 'Streets' in the Director Cam...gives me chills.

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimsom sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

[DISCLAIMER: every time I watch it, I find a new Favourite Part. Here's what I've collected so far.
wink.gif
]

First hit: WOWY, of course. More on that later...

Right now, *GASP* the segue from Bad into Streets. The fact that the unsuspecting NBA audience caught that...(can someone tell me exactly where NBC cut in??) makes it even more chill-worthy. The silhouette of Bono, arms raised, that long, soulful wail, and then the LIGHT, the white light, the communal power of that moment, the power of ONE -- oh Lord, I think the conversion of St Paul woulda looked like that if it had happened in an arena...

The DVD captures the electrifying energy of that whole song, the wide camera angles showing us a glimpse of what makes a GREAT show: lighting design, song, performance, crowd -- synergy. It shows (I hope) those who weren't there, how those of us who were there came away speechless.

At the end of the song, as the band gathers centre stage to say "good night," Edge claps, too -- overflowing, it appears, with gratitude and awe. I love that slow, small smile, as he shakes his head in bisbelief.

rewinding a little: at the beginning of Bad, after Bono has quietly sung the first verse -- ...if I could, I would let it go... then he raises both hands: Surrender... I find that gesture so moving. [It also epitomizes what moved me so at the concert I attended: Bono's quiet humility amid all that thunder and heat.]

A little later in the song, a moment much more subtle than Streets but just as deep: Bono's expression as he prepares to fall into the arms of the crowd. I'd seen a photo once of an expression like that, possibly during the same song, and was touched by it -- like someone picking up an wounded child...or someone about to -- well, jump off a building. (I'm not being facetious.) It's like he empties himself out, gazing almost mournfully on the faces in front of him. He lowers his eyes, drops his voice -- with a kind of resolve -- to sing, Let it go. and then thrusts his weight into their waiting arms.
I also really enjoy the tight, almost abstract closeup on that whole sequence -- I try to discern whether or not Bono's entire weight is resting on their hands, but the camera doesn't really let me see enough to tell...but it doesn't matter! Because the sense of vertigo, of the "sea" moving beneath him, tells me what's going on for him, and what he is making of the song. The simple rhythmic image of all those outstretched arms, especially against his black leather, is a powerful composition unto itself.

Adam swaying with Stuck in a Moment, as supple as his own bass strings...

Larry during Walk On -- He's smiling and watching the far walls. It looks like the band really digs how the words scroll up the walls of the arena. They are enjoying their own show *L* their eyes like all of ours, wide with childlike joy... at a brilliant, beautiful piece of theatre.

Bono after WOWY. Forehead pressed against the mike, his shoulders heaving.

In A Little While, when Bono and Edge are back to back, and the camera's on Edge's side. Edge is a rock, Bono soaring in silhouette, with perfect faith in Edge's physical and creative support. And then, at the end, when Bono holds the mike for Edge's sweet-soul finish... Is it just me, or is Edge's voice honey'd and glistening like never before?? Pure, choirboy notes...man!

(Now that you've all got your DVD's for Christmas, I expect to see a lot more discussion about it! Okay?
wink.gif
)

love y'all,
Deb D

------------------
He set my feet upon a rock
made my footsteps firm

the greatest frontman in the world -- by truecoloursfly: http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=1575

Definatly WOWY. When he is lying with that girl on stage it is so emotinal. I am sure that every single female U2 fan (And some male) have imagined what it would be like to be in this girls position. It is nice to be able to watch it from up close. What a lucky woman to have the DVD as a souviner of what I am sure are the best 2 minutes of her life.

Originally posted by truecoloursfly:

Right now, *GASP* the segue from Bad into Streets. The fact that the unsuspecting NBA audience caught that...(can someone tell me exactly where NBC cut in??) makes it even more chill-worthy. The silhouette of Bono, arms raised, that long, soulful wail, and then the LIGHT, the white light, the communal power of that moment, the power of ONE -- oh Lord, I think the conversion of St Paul woulda looked like that if it had happened in an arena...

The DVD captures the electrifying energy of that whole song, the wide camera angles showing us a glimpse of what makes a GREAT show: lighting design, song, performance, crowd -- synergy. It shows (I hope) those who weren't there, how those of us who were there came away speechless.

At the end of the song, as the band gathers centre stage to say "good night," Edge claps, too -- overflowing, it appears, with gratitude and awe. I love that slow, small smile, as he shakes his head in bisbelief.

That's my favorite part too! Also, Desire when the entire band is near the tip of the heart!

[This message has been edited by BostonAnne (edited 12-27-2001).]

Where the Shhhhtreets Have No Name: at the beginning, when Larry starts banging his drums and the lights are lit. Everyone is jumping, it's incredible.

I've never seen that at any other concert (except U2 ones)...

------------------
In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry, and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams (The Restaurant at the End of the Universe)

Originally posted by zooropamanda:
the part with bono

yeah i think any part with bono is good to me. bono's parts.... SORRY! NOT IN PLEBA!

anyway, my fave parts (and please note i never saw an elevation show so everything blows my mind)...

1.) bono doing his little horns thing during UTEOTW. macphisto lives!

2.) bono's commment, "larry was 14... still is" and then larry's little reaction.

3.) the introduction of the band

4.) larry's solo drumming during desire. i clap along with him and the audience every time.

5.) stay performed acoustic. you guys were always bitching that they always played stay as acoustic, but i think it is absolutely beautiful.

6.) the transition from bad to streets. bono is just standing there and from behind him comes this wall of beautiful sound...

7.) now i'm out of order, but when bono throws get up stand up in the middle of SBS.

8.) bullet the blue sky. everything about it! i'd never seen it before.

9.) and finally, the intro into the fly. the music is so soothing and bono is just making stuff up and then out of no where he starts singing "love we shine like a burning star." it's so incredible to hear him sing that line without the rest of the refrain or the heavy instrumental backup. it's incredible.

i love the dvd. it's got soul. i'm going to the concert next tour!!!

------------------
Does love light up your Christmas tree?

Happy Holidays!

"And I wear gray underwear." -Bono

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

...if God will send his angels...

I love the part in "New York" when he says "They even got the police" and he rubs his fingers together to signify "paying off". I love it when the boys sense of humor comes out. It makes them so human!!!

wow, talk about a hard question!
hmmm, i loooooove "Stuck" from disc 2...now thats AMAZING! but then again so is the entire DVD! Live From Boston RULES!
biggrin.gif

------------------
--U2002revolution
(not-a-newbie)

U2: Rock's Unbreakable Heart!

intro's to Streets and Walk On

overall: Larry's drumming
he really kicks assssss

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I still haven't seen all of every song because I'm too impatient and I like to skip around..

I love the making of and yes, I love the crowd cam too. the director cam is highly amusing..
hmmm..I LOVE the beginning of the Fly, the end of Walk On..nah actually the whole thing, the beginning of Streets...God I love that part..

actually i think I love the whole thing
biggrin.gif

------------------
and everything you hoped would last
just always becomes the past
it hurts but...

Originally posted by madonna's child:
yeah i think any part with bono is good to me. bono's parts.... SORRY! NOT IN PLEBA!
Heheh....

I also forgot to say Streets earlier. I love the lights and the stuff on the walls
biggrin.gif

------------------
~*Mona*~ Secretary of Scandalization
97% compatible with Bono

Love me, give me soul.

"If I knew who I was I wouldn't be an artist, I wouldn't be in a band, I wouldn't be here screaming for a living." ~Bono~

"The moment an artist loses his personality and magnetism, the moment his secret leaks out, the curtain comes down on his prosperity" ~Houdini~

"Listen....I could be a genius if I weren't so lazy"

Ok, I just found a new favorite part. I LOVE the part on the director cam during WOWY when the girl pulled up on stage puts her hands over her face and everyone in the director's booth is like "OMYGOD!" and then at the end of the song when the chick in the director's booth says, "She just had the best night of her life!" awwwww! *sigh*
smile.gif

I HAVE YET TO GET THROUGH MORE THAN THE FIRST THREE SONGS (hard to find time, keeping three kids in line and all)!! I've been watching it on my hubby's laptop and I cannot get over the fact that I have not only BONO, but the Edge, Larry, Adam and all of Boston sitting on my lap!!! It's incredible so far!!!

------------------
If your glass house should crack....POE

WOWY!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Darn good Bullet, too.

------------------
~*Mona*~ Secretary of Scandalization
97% compatible with Bono

Love me, give me soul.

"Brian Eno is trying to prevent me from downloading an MP3 of Bono having an orgasm!!" ~Echo~

"Get me the Bean Giant!" ~Houdini~

Back
Top Bottom