What's your CHILL INDUCING moment in HTDAAB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snutes1

Acrobat
I'll tell you the exact moment where I get chills up and down my fucking legs. It shows you that as a father of a two year old I have transformed my self into an emotional and sensitive dork. :wink:

In Original of the Species:

"Some things you shouldnt get to good at
Like smiling, crying and celebrity
Some people got way too much confidence baby....baby"

That last line is delivered so amazingly.

This is one of the songs that I sing out loud to going to work and back.

:) @ the first post

For me it's

"can-you-hear-me-when-I-sing
you're the reason I sing
you're the reason why the opera is in me"

and the rest of the finish of Sometimes, but mostly those three lines, especially that amazing note - I always get choky in that part.

(If I had to pick just one, that's it)

4:06 moment in Love and peace or else when the guitar breaks through - one of my all-time Edge moments.

Honorable mention that 60's scream from Bono at 2:45 in All because of you when Edge starts with his solo.

Last edited:
A house doesn't make a home
Don't leave me here alone

Time won't leave me as I am
Time won't take the boy out of this man
Oh you look so beautiful tonight.....

Your love is like a drop in the ocean
Your love is like a drop in the ocean....
Yahweh, Yahweh
Why the dark before the dawn?

and pretty much all of Love and Peace or Else :drool:

sometimes: 'can you hear me when i... siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing'

original of the species: the last chorus, with the full jangly guitar in the background, bono's little laugh in the line 'you don't have to be shy about it'

miracle drug: 'god i need your help tonight', then the guitar kicks in...

and, if we're counting all of the new songs, 'mercy', from start to finish.

:drool:

U2girl said:

you're the reason I sing

and the rest of the finish of Sometimes, but mostly those three lines, especially that amazing note - I always get choky in that part.

(If I had to pick just one, that's it)

Agreed.

1. when...i... siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing you're the reason i sing.

2. bono's roger daltrey yell durring all because of you

3. edge's guitar in miracle drug

4. city of blinding lights chorus... taken on new meaning after seeing it performed in person under the backdrop of lower manhattan :drool:

Miracle Drug - Edge's slide solo + the verse he sings

LAPOE - At around 3:50 where the little sweet part of the song fades away into blackness, and you just can feel Edge's guitar coming at you

COBL - "I'm getting ready to leave the ground" and buildup to the chorus, and when Edge comes in with the slide guitar again

OOTS - The "doo doo doos"

Yahweh - The whole "love is just a drop in the ocean" reprise followed by the climax of Edge's guitar flowing into the last chorus

Beautiful moments :drool:

"If we weren't so alike, you'd like me a whole lot more"

"Don't leave me here alone"

"You had so much to offer, why did you offer your soul?"

The "oooh"s in COBL.

The ABOY scream.

Bono's scream followed by Edge's solo on All Because Of You! :drool:

The AMAZING bridge on City Of Blinding Lights, as LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said.

On MD when Edge starts his beautiful slide solo until he finishes singing and Bono comes in! I love the "God, I need your help tonight!"

When Bono sings: "A house doesn't make a home / Don't leave me here alone". That part to me is even stronger and heartbreaking than the "You're the reason I sing" part.

When Bono says "Here's you father" on OOTS and then the "oh no"s at the end!

When Bono sings "Yahweh, tell me now / Why the dark before the dawn?" at 3:13, his voice on the words "tell me now" makes this to me one of the most beautiful moments on any U2 record.

The "They know that thy can't dance at least they know..." followed by "I can't stand the beats..." moment on Vertigo gets me going like a madman! :crack:

Last edited:
Upon my first couple listenings, the moments that gave me chills most were:

1. Miracle Drug - "God I need your help tonight..." followed by Edge's solo.

2. Sometimes - when the song kicks in "I know that we don't talk", "SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING...you're the reason I sing" "A house doesn't make a home/Don't leave me here alone..." and then the chorus...really the whole second half of the song.

3. Original of the Species - when the song breaks down for a second, then the doot doots and "Sugar come on, show your soul..." and the rest of the song after that

4. Yahweh - the "oooooooh-oooooooh-ooooooooooh-oooooooh-oooooooooooh-oooooooh's" or whoa's. whatever.

Well, I have quite a few chill-inducing moments:

1. Edge's entire vocal section in Miracle Drug

2. "Can you hear me when I sing...you're the reason I sing. You're the reason why the opera is in me"

3. That low part in Love and Peace or Else that builds up until it explodes into Edge's solo.

4. The "ooooh" in City of Blinding Lights

5. The intro of All Because of You (Edge's "Wire" sounding guitar) as well as Bono's scream and the solo.

6. "And you speak of signs and wonders, but I need something other"

7. The build-up to the "do-do-do-do" in Original of the Species

8. "The sun is coming up on the ocean, this love is like a drop in the ocean, this love is like a drop in the ocean, oh..."

Edge's solo In Miracle Drug. Its so simple, yet so amazing

SYCMIOYO- "And its you that makes it hard to let go" I get goosebumps when he says the word "go" and the end of that phrase. Its so sad.

COBL- When they sing "Oh you look so beautiful tonight" 3 times in a row.

Yahweh- The final verse

1) The intro to ABOY
2) The strings on OOTS, and the 'do do do do' bit.

Odd, I know, but both parts send a shiver down my spine.

Miracle drug - the whole part around 2:30 - this even gave me chills with the crappy spanish guys talking over it this summer going into the edge's solo:drool:
AMAAW - end part of the song with just Bono and Adam

from a vocal perpective - there are some great moments.. Bono hasn't sounded so 'Bono-like' for ages (know what I mean?)

The last verse of 'Blinding Lights'
The "..catch you by the heel" bit of 'Man & Woman'
as somebody already said, the line, "Some people got way too much confidence baby..." from 'Original of the Species'.
I love in 'Yahweh' how restrained the vocals are, but there are some silences leading into the chorus that I find very powerful (e.g. after "Take this mouth.. give it a kiss")

The word "Tough" at the start of 'Sometimes' does it for me too.. beautiful.

There are heaps more that I can't remember now. I have a stack of spine tingling guitar moments aswell but that's another list!

Cheers,
Jim

There are two that really do it for me:

COBL:

"Oh you look so beautiful" always gets me, and

Original of the Species:

And you feel like no-one before
You steal right under my door
I kneel ‘cos I want you some more
I want you some more, I want you some more…

Honorable mention to the guitar solo in Miracle Drug.

best you can do is to fake it..it's like he is faking hitting a note that he can not reach

GibsonGirl said:
Well, I have quite a few chill-inducing moments:

1. Edge's entire vocal section in Miracle Drug

I love the guitar solo before Edge's vocal section too. :yes:

And I love when Bono sings:

Freedom has a scent
Like the top of a new born baby’s head

and

The songs are in your eyes
I see them when you smile

GibsonGirl said:
2. "Can you hear me when I sing...you're the reason I sing. You're the reason why the opera is in me"

:yes:

and

A house still doesn’t make a home
Don’t leave me here alone...

GibsonGirl said:
3. That low part in Love and Peace or Else that builds up until it explodes into Edge's solo.

I love that part too. It's like a door was opened. :up:

GibsonGirl said:
6. "And you speak of signs and wonders, but I need something other"

also - "Where you live should not decide
Whether you live or whether you die"

GibsonGirl said:
8. "The sun is coming up on the ocean, this love is like a drop in the ocean, this love is like a drop in the ocean, oh..."

:yes:

I also LOVE

Vertigo
"Your love is teaching me how, how to kneel…"

Original of the Species:
"Some people got way too much confidence baby, baby"

How he sings the second baby... :drool:

A Man & A Woman
"How can I hurt when I’m holding you?"

Hmm.. I think I could go on all night. :)

HTDAAB - many Chill inducing moments. :yes:

The bit at the end of Love and Peace Or Else when the guitar just explodes into the solo....SUPERB!

I've got several, so here they are in no particular order.

The last minute of "City Of Blinding Lights." I hate the overall sound of this song, but that last minute is just so potent...I love the way that Bono's voice helps the song build to a fever-pitch. "Time won't take the boy out of this man...," etc.

Pretty much all of "Sometimes..." That song REALLY hit me hard immediately upon hearing it; it was my favorite song of the album until I got to track 4, which I'll momentarily address. As others have said, I was especially struck by the line, "Don't leave me here alone." This song STILL gives me the chills, and I've listened to it well over 150 times, by my playlist's count.

"Love And Peace..." gets me all kinds of silly when, as so many others have already said, that final burst of guitar comes out of the murk and just ratchets things up to a sickeningly cool level. So fucking wonderful...!!!

...And that's it!

U2girl said:
For me it's

you're the reason I sing

My sentiments EXACTLY.

lOVE ALL OF MIRACLE DRUG...FIRST TIME I HEARD IT IN NYC, I WAS IN TEARS. THAT POWERFUL!

Also in City of Blinding lights: seeing them at the Brooklyn Bridge was my first trip to NYC!

MOST INCREDIBLE TRIP OF MY FREAKING LIFE!!!

THAT SONG TOTALLY SUMMED UP MY 5 DAYS IN NYC

**great thread btw!! :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom