What's wrong with October???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

God Part III

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I mean, not one bad song on it. Tomorrow is a great song, and Gloria is better than any track off Boy. Ok, bad cover, but so what? Fire, Is That All? and I Fall Down all rock. I can't understand why you hate it so much.

I gotta be the first to admit I've never liked Tomorrow. I know Bono's singing about his mom, but there's just something in his voice that sounds whiney. I know it's supposed to sound plaintive, but...I dunno...it just grates a bit on me I guess.

That's probably why I can't listen to emo.

There's no problem with 'October'. It's one of my favourite U2 albums, the tracks are superb...just most people who consider themselves fans after listening to either just 'Joshua Tree' and 'Achtung Baby' or suddenly got into them after 'ATYCLB' and 'HTDAAB' have never even heard it, and vote the previous four albums at the top of the 'best albums' list each time, leaving October at the bottom...meaning those who come across it there will just assume it sucks...anyone who hasn't heard it and has been told it's not critical that you hear it...get a copy NOW. AND 'BOY' if you haven't already done so...!

I love it. I don't understand why everyone wants it gone in the polls. :(

I don't know why people overreact and start threads like this. :shrug: No one said anything is wrong with the album; simply, it's the weakest of the U2 offerings. That doesn't mean it's bad. It means that, to some people, it's their least favorite.

I like October and love every song, but I would have to place every other studio album ahead of it if I'm asked to rank it.

I don't hate October. I don't think anyone ever said that.

To me, it's a weak album. The band was rushed, with the lost lyrics and no time to finish the songs. Many of the songs sound unfinished. There is no overall coherency to the album.

:shrug: I still like it. I still listen to it. It's just not one of their best, IMO.

I love October, and what's more, I love the cover. It's simple, effective, and the 'fro is bloody awesome. Why don't people like it? It's a better cover than those for Achtung Baby and HTDAAB!

I Threw A Brick Through A Window, Rejoice and With A Shout feature some sensational drumming, Scarlet is one of U2's most beautiful songs, Gloria and Tomorrow are U2 classics, October is hauntingly brilliant, Fire is awesome ... every track is marvellous!

October is a great album. I'm in the minority of thinking that it is slightly better than Boy - only because of Tomorrow. Simply a beautiful song. The only thing wrong with it that it is horribly anti-climactic: Stranger in a Strange Land is bad, Scarlet is bad, Is That All? sounds like a very early demo.

October is by far their most underrated album. The reason it has been maligned by many is that it's their most explicitly religious album. As a Catholic I find the spiritual messages very uplifting (even though I'm not a big fan of "Christian" music) , but I know there are people who hate when religion is mixed with rock music. Nevertheless even if you're not religious, this is a fantastic album for a number of reasons.

If you compare Boy and October, October was the album where the signature U2 sound began to take shape. Boy had a very post-punk feel to it. October had some of this feel too, but it also began to point to innovaton and new directions for the band.
Their first use of piano in "I Fall Down" paves the way for their ultimate classic "New Year's Day" on Wr. The chiming guitar An Cat Dubh points to their UF and JT phase. Their are even echoes of their nineties sound...check out the slide guitar at the end of tomorrow...it sounds eerily similar to "Even Better than the Real Thing".

October reminds me of the Beatles album "Revolver"...for many years Seargent Peppers LHB was considered their ulitmate groundbreaking album. Now people realize that "Revolver", which paved the way for SP and their other classics, may have
been the true Beatles gem. That's the way I see October.

Cheers

Well obviously there's something wrong with it, since it was voted of the list that fast!

I just can't understand what's so bad about it.
October rocks.

miss becky said:
I don't hate October. I don't think anyone ever said that.

To me, it's a weak album. The band was rushed, with the lost lyrics and no time to finish the songs. Many of the songs sound unfinished. There is no overall coherency to the album.

:shrug: I still like it. I still listen to it. It's just not one of their best, IMO.

I thought you were talking about "Pop" for a second there.....

For me, October is great, I got into U2 when Boy came out, and I had to get more form this great new young band, so just having more U2 was a total thrill.

You had to be there....

From what I've heard/read most fans don't hate October - they just don't like it as much as some other U2 albums.

I personally think October turned out pretty well considering all the problems associated with making it (the tension in the band at the time, the lost lyrics, etc.) Gloria and Tomorrow are classic early U2 and I Threw a Brick Through a Window is one of U2's most underrated songs ever.

LeafsNation said:
October is by far their most underrated album. The reason it has been maligned by many is that it's their most explicitly religious album. As a Catholic I find the spiritual messages very uplifting (even though I'm not a big fan of "Christian" music) , but I know there are people who hate when religion is mixed with rock music. Nevertheless even if you're not religious, this is a fantastic album for a number of reasons.

I'd say that plays a significant part in it's low status amongst the band's albums.

Tomorrow is too in your face I guess, Gloria is, if you know Latin, Fire, the others are bit more subtle, but as much as those 3.

I like the rawness of it though, you can't say October was contrived, the lyrics of some were probably written on the spot, stream of conscious type of thing.

thrillme said:

I'd say that plays a significant part in it's low status amongst the band's albums.

Really? I thought are lot of U2 fans were Christianish/Spiritualists etc. I wouldnt think the interpretation of the lyrics would affect peoples opinions that much of the whole album. Im an atheist and October is one of my favs.

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one caught it...but I made a boo boo. The song on October with the chiming guitars that I believe lays a foundation for the JT/UF period is called I Threw a Brick Through a Window....not An Cat Dubh...

Just shows the strength of U2s Catalogue doesnt mean that October is a bad album because its not.

I would say though that anybody that says October is better then the last 4 albums is basing that based on naustalgia rather then music but to each their own.

Yahweh said:
Just shows the strength of U2s Catalogue doesnt mean that October is a bad album because its not.
That's what i think: If even a band's "worst" albums are good, doesnt that say a lot about the band?
I am also a fan of October. "Tomorrow" is my favorite U2 song.

beli said:
Really? I thought are lot of U2 fans were Christianish/Spiritualists etc. I wouldnt think the interpretation of the lyrics would affect peoples opinions that much of the whole album. Im an atheist and October is one of my favs.

At least there is one other atheist in this world who loves October! I guess it helps that I don't hate music just because someone sings religion into it. (If that were the case, I don't think I wouldn't have been a U2 fan this long.)

Collectively, the tracks on October form the most cohesive album U2 has ever put out - each song flows well into the next, and the fade into Gloria makes this a great album to keep on repeat - it's a complete circle.

And yes, I Threw a Brick Through a Window is one of my favorite U2 songs:

No one
No one is blinder
Than he
Who will not see

No one
No one is blinder
Than me

goat

Back
Top Bottom