What's with U2 and Sarajevo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vivaSA

War Child
I just saw the topic with this name in archives http://forum.interference.com/t86398.html

and I thought it would be good to elaborate more on why U2 loves Sarajevo.

There were other places where wars were going on at that time, but I think one of the things that appealed to U2 about Sarajevo is the fact that people in Sarajevo were fighting to preserve values of multiethnic, multicultural, tolerant society, where it was not important what's your religion, ethnic background, the color of your skin, etc.
I think that's why Bono calls Sarajevo "The Capital of CoeXisT". Sarajevo with its history and tradition represents a place where East meets West, where people are equally exposed to Western progress and Eastern wisdom, so to speak, which seems to be really important nowdays. That's why Bono, while visiting Sarajevo this summer, said that the importance of Sarajevo can be seen now in the light of the recent events in the Middle East (recent war in Lebanon) which is always a very volatile place, so it seems.
If you walk downtown Sarajevo you can see catholic cathedral, muslim mosque, jewish sinagogue and orthodox church, all close to each other, in 50 square meters. That perfectly depicts the thing that Bono was talking about.

It appears that those values are something that unfortunatelly we have to fight over and over in so many corners of the world. Sarajevo had a pretty share of that battle and I think we did a good job. A big THANK YOU goes to U2 for recognising that.

P.S. And also because Bono heard that rock bands in Sarajevo were playing U2 music in shelters, to try to drown the sound of bombs exploding on the outside ;)

That makes sense, why Sarajevo's spirit would appeal to Bono.

Are there any more stupid things to fight a war over than religion, race, or ethnicity? Such a shame, really.

It's one of the reasons Bono and Bill Clinton are such good friends. There were many, many, real-life heroes who helped to stop the horrific genocide that was occuring in Bosnia during the 1990s, but Bill Clinton and, in many ways, U2, helped lead the charge.

The US didn't lose a single life in winning that war (well, to be fair, it was a NATO / group effort of allied forces, but the US and Bill Clinton were the ones who pushed to stop the genocide with military action, while the rest of Europe had been sitting idly by, watching but doing nothing), and they got rid of one of the worst dictators in recent memory.

LyricalDrug said:
It's one of the reasons Bono and Bill Clinton are such good friends. There were many, many, real-life heroes who helped to stop the horrific genocide that was occuring in Bosnia during the 1990s, but Bill Clinton and, in many ways, U2, helped lead the charge.

The US didn't lose a single life in winning that war (well, to be fair, it was a NATO / group effort of allied forces, but the US and Bill Clinton were the ones who pushed to stop the genocide with military action, while the rest of Europe had been sitting idly by, watching but doing nothing), and they got rid of one of the worst dictators in recent memory.

Exactly!
That's also one of the reasons why after the satellite link ups with Sarajevo, during Zoo TV tour, Bono used to say that he is ashamed to be a European.

Back
Top Bottom