What's up with U2 and the long song titles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

One Tree Still

Acrobat
They sure like the long ones...

I Threw A Brick Through A Window
Elvis Presley and America (kinda long)
Where the Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Mothers of the Disappeared (kinda long)
When Love Comes to Town
Even Better Than the Real Thing
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?
Until the End of the World
Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around the World
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
If God Would Send His Angels
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
(All That You Can't Leave Behind)
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of

I'm tired...

Don't know...I don't think it's something they consciously try to do. I guess if the title fits, regardless of how long or short, they go with it.

Hey, they've got some short titles too...

Fire
Gloria
Heartland
Discotheque
One
Lemon
Numb
October
Seconds

...just to name a few!

Kite
Gone
Desire
Gloria
The Fly
One
Acrobat
Exit
Mofo
Grace
Bad
Fire
Always
Babyface
Miami
Numb
MLK
Twilight
Wire

what about the short album titles? ;)

Boy
October
War
Unforgettable Fire
Joshua Tree
Rattle and Hum
Achtung Baby
Zooropa
Pop

then they went and messed up the pattern with All that you can't leave behind :lol:

oliveu2cm said:

:lol: I just thought it was funny b/c we posted the same thing at the same time.

aha! I wasn't sure. I thought maybe you were adding to what I said after I said it. No? Okay. Thanks funny! :lol:

wertsie said:

aha! I wasn't sure. I thought maybe you were adding to what I said after I said it. No? Okay. Thanks funny! :lol:

Nope! loll my comp is slow and i didn't see your post until after mine was up. :D

Whatever length some song titles are, at least they're not as long (and ridiculous) as:

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back
Object In The Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are

(to just quote some Meat Loaf songs from Bat Out Of Hell II)

or:

It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry
Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
Most Likely You Go Your Way And I'll Go Mine

(genuine Bob Dylan song titles (and great songs too!) to give the discussion some intellectual weight)

So on second thought, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For isn't that ridiculous after all...

C ya!

Marty

Popmartijn said:
Whatever length some song titles are, at least they're not as long (and ridiculous) as:

Life Is A Lemon And I Want My Money Back
Object In The Rear View Mirror May Appear Closer Than They Are

(to just quote some Meat Loaf songs from Bat Out Of Hell II)

or:

It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry
Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again
Most Likely You Go Your Way And I'll Go Mine

(genuine Bob Dylan song titles (and great songs too!) to give the discussion some intellectual weight)

So on second thought, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For isn't that ridiculous after all...

C ya!

Marty

Or some songs by DMB are given a number for a title, like #41 is called that because they couldn't think of a title and it was the 41st song they wrote.

sulawesigirl4 said:
then they went and messed up the pattern with All that you can't leave behind :lol:

maybe that's why i don't like this album. ahh, a conspiracy arises...i always knew i couldn't actually hate anything U2 had done, that it'd been implanted into my mind.

although in actuality, most of my favourite songs by them have one or two words in the title (seconds, discotheque, etc.)

:eyebrow:

JessicaAnn said:

Or some songs by DMB are given a number for a title, like #41 is called that because they couldn't think of a title and it was the 41st song they wrote.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is TOTALLY not related, but there's a movie called:

"Don't be a menace to south central while drinking your juice in the hood."

Don't forget the Smiths! Not as ridiculous and not as long, but still long anyways!

We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful (Moz solo)
What Difference Does It Make?
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before
The Boy With A Thorn In His Side
Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me
Shoplifters of the World Unite

I tink U2 like to test pple when it come to Kareoke nights, ya know:

So that when someones had more 3 pintfuls or so, they come on stage tryin to remember that 'oh so long U2 song title' they are going to sing, and instead tell the audience:

'er..hold on a mom folks, Im Still Tryin to fucking Find the fucking name of the song That Im Looking For....' :scratch:

:D

yertle-the-turtle said:
Don't forget the Smiths! Not as ridiculous and not as long, but still long anyways!

We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful (Moz solo)
What Difference Does It Make?
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before
The Boy With A Thorn In His Side
Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me
Shoplifters of the World Unite

Didn't they also have a song called Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want?

I can honestly say that the length of song/album titles has never been an issue for me

I think that they go with the song title or album title that fits the songs they are making. Sometimes they are long titles, other times they are short. It doesnt really matter to me how long the song/album titles are.:wink:

adamswildhoney said:
I think that they go with the song title or album title that fits the songs they are making. Sometimes they are long titles, other times they are short. It doesnt really matter to me how long the song/album titles are.:wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Can you just see the guys sitting there in the studio, plotting about this?! Let's totally throw everyone for a loop and make the next album title a really long one! :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom