Whats up with "In a little while"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reptile347

The Fly
In the last 2 weeks I have heard it in the mall and in Albertsons.

Out of all the songs I wonder why this popped up? Its not a bad thing but it was not a big song like Beautiful Day whioch pops up here and there. It caught me by surprise.

They must have it loaded in some piped in music system that many sotres use.

I guess some Muzak "artist" finally got around to composing it.

That or one of those services (retail stores subscribe to them) decided to add it to their playlist.

Either way Muzak is a frightening thing.
I always thought it would make a good backdrop for a horror movie.

oh, I love an over-zealous ass!

Muzak is a trademark name invented in 1922 by Major General George O. Squier when he patented a system for the transmission and distribution of background music from phonograph records over electrical lines to workplaces. Squiers was intrigued by the made-up word Kodak being used as a trademark and so took the "mus" sound from music and added the "ak" from Kodak to create his word Muzak.

Squier developed his system because he had observed that workers were more productive when music was played in the background at workplaces. He used this observation to market his idea. At the time, phonograph records only lasted for one song or tune. As the equipment required to amplify the music was also relatively expensive, Squier's distribution system allowed costs to be shared amongst many subscribers. In the 1920s, radio broadcasting was just being established and for cost, as well as various other reasons, was not a suitable alternative.

The system was readily adopted by many building owners and installed in many shops and offices to mask unintelligible sounds and provide a calming or soothing sound. When installed in elevators the music being played became quite noticeable. The service was later extended to telephone systems.

While the term Muzak is the trademarked name of the transmission system, it soon became associated with the music being played. Research had determined the appropriate music to play over the system, as it had been observed that certain music would increase worker productivity and influence the shopping habits of shoppers. This research influenced the musical selections, much of which was instrumental arrangements of popular songs. Arrangements for violins, brass, piano, and orchestra were dominant.

To further blur the distinction the Muzak Corporation first pressed its own muzak branded phonograph records, later moving to magnetic tape compilations and most recently CDs. Over time, the Muzak style has become more sophisticated, with selections depending on where the music was being played and the purpose the music is trying to achieve. What was once simply background music is now being called audio architecture.

While some people find the muzak style of music pleasant or soothing, others find it annoying to the point of vexation. In a recent poll, 17% of people regarded piped music as "the thing they most detest about modern life".[1] (http://www.birchmore.info/muzak/) Indeed, the term muzak has become an epithet for excessively bland music.

Muzak became immensely popular during the 1930s when studies were released showing that playing it in offices and factories would improve productivity. A backlash began in the 1950s when Muzak was accused of brainwashing and it was even challenged in court. It still remained popular in many areas. President Eisenhower was the first to pump Muzak into the West Wing. NASA also used Muzak in many of its space missions to soothe astronauts and occupy any periods of inactivity.

Today the Muzak corporation operates in 15 countries and is still heard in shopping malls, elevators, and while on hold. The Muzak home office is in Fort Mill, South Carolina.

Muzak has been distributed to customers in several different methods. For decades, it was common for FM radio stations to lease a portion of their bandwidth to Muzak and carry the audio on a subcarrier that can't be decoded by an ordinary radio. Muzak was also transmitted by leased telephone line to Muzak subscribers, and was the method used to distribute Muzak's programming to those broadcast FM stations distributing it on their FM subcarrier. At one time, Muzak was the largest consumer of leased telephone lines from the Bell System. Muzak is now more commonly distributed via satellite, so FM stations have begun to use these subcarriers for other things such as digital radio transmissions.

Although Muzak is a name brand, it is up for debate whether it is merely a brand, a genre (kind of music), or a way of listening. The evolution of the term from a mere brand to mean a genre, to mean "excessively bland" has continued, one could argue, to also mean to listen passively (only). That is, to be completely unaware of it or simply not thinking of it in any way but instead to be affected by it, to have induced in oneself a psychological state. Eric Satie wrote such music which he valued for a psychological state he called "serious immobility."

and here is your link, smart guy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzak

Last edited:
I was switching channels on tv and on some spanish channel was cycling and In God's country in background

Our Muzak at work (which plays real songs, not the bland boring Muzal versions) plays City of Blinding Lights and Crumbs From Your Table. I have never understood why only those two songs. I still can't even decide if I'm happy about this or not. All in all, I think I'd prefer not to hear any U2 over that intercom. Ever.

Funny thing - I was in the grocery store Saturday and heard "Desire" on their muzak system. I thought it was weird to hear one of the more "obscure" songs if you will in a store.

Yeah, there are sometimes some neat songs on those things. I've been surprised by the Beatles' "Across the Universe," Oasis' "She Is Love" (which was a single, I guess, but still not incredibly popular), Lennon's "Beautiful Boy," and probably some others I've forgotten. They're more entertaining than my local radio stations.

I caught the end of "Electrical Storm" at the bank just now. I wish Bono thought of something cooler to say than "baby, don't cry" over the great guitar part at the end.

BEVERLY56 said:
Funny thing - I was in the grocery store Saturday and heard "Desire" on their muzak system. I thought it was weird to hear one of the more "obscure" songs if you will in a store.

eheh, I also heard "Desire" two weeks ago in a supermarket here in Lisbon. They could have choose a better song...

Chris10685 said:
I've heard Red Hill Mining Town in Dunkin Donuts.

:ohmy:

Well, I guess it's not that odd, considering I heard Wire on the radio not too long ago.

Just thought I'd share - I went and saw Hanson last night here in Melbourne - they covered 'In A Little While' and did a damned good job of it! Don't laugh - Hanson rock! They are the ultimate cool for the new age hipsters! Quote that you bitches! :)

My work just hooks up a small radio to the P.A. speakers, thankfully no Muzak. (which my boss recently told me about). Had no idea, I figured most stores simply hooked up a radio to a P.A.

You really do learn something new everyday. Though U2DMfan gave way more info than my boss.

There's this one radio station that plays a lot of U2, so I like working those days when that station is playing.

Where I work we use a cd player to cycle CD's so I snuck 2 cd's in there with a mix of stuff thats not too loud since its a restaurant.

I thought it was funny when some guy said to another hey I think thats U2 but I never heard that song before when "Dreaming with tears in my eyes" was playing.

i heard COBL(before it was a single) and crumbs at publix before..call me crazy, but listening to those songs at a public place like that makes them sound more acceptable in mainstream. makes me really wonder why the new album hasn't been that big of a hit.

thatsnotmypuppy said:
Just thought I'd share - I went and saw Hanson last night here in Melbourne - they covered 'In A Little While' and did a damned good job of it! Don't laugh - Hanson rock! They are the ultimate cool for the new age hipsters! Quote that you bitches! :)

HANSON covered In A Little While? :lmao: I'm sorry, I have to laugh. But I do admire their good taste in music, then :up:

I heard the live version of Pride (from Rattle and Hum) on the radio once, which I thought was weird, especially because it was a "new rock" station...yeah, new from 1988...

But I don't hear random U2 songs everywhere like you guys do :sad:

thatsnotmypuppy said:
:lol:
I like Hanson...:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom