What's up w/ ABOY?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn Bonneau

New Yorker
Why are U2 stuck on this song? No offence to those who like it, but the song is HTDAAB's worst. Why is it the American single? God, Miracle Drug should be on the radio by now. The song is okay, but it just doesn't have the U2 drive.

SMB

Shawn Bonneau said:
Why are U2 stuck on this song? No offence to those who like it, but the song is HTDAAB's worst. Why is it the American single? God, Miracle Drug should be on the radio by now. The song is okay, but it just doesn't have the U2 drive.

SMB

I think Miracle Drug would tank as a single. ABOY will do well.

I also think "Sometimes" should have been next. When will "City" be released? ABOY just seems like a filler. Odd, cause I never saw U2 as a filler band.

SMB

Shawn Bonneau said:
I also think "Sometimes" should have been next. When will "City" be released? ABOY just seems like a filler. Odd, cause I never saw U2 as a filler band.

SMB

Filler? It's a rockin' song. I'm sure 99.9% of the other bands out there would love for it (ABOY) to be "filler" on their albums.

WHAT!??
dood,

do you listen to other real rock & roll music outside of U2? hahha ABOY is a very strong song. I'd say the best from the new album... I can give radiohead, The Strokes and anyone else who wants to mess with; a good run for the money.

I've gotten really positive feeback about this song in particular, from a groups of non-fans (that says something)

ABOY a filler?? Man, what have you been smokin', dude? I love that song to death. Strong, old-skool guitar riff in there, and I like that. :up:

I like ABOY plus we will need it; it's one of the only few rocking tunes on the album. You don't want to fall asleep at the concert do you? I don't like the "AAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL because of you" either, it should've been something else. Edge's riffs are great though and its what saves this song.

From what I'm reading, Adam said they will try and play 9-10 songs from this album. Are you kidding? They need to play the songs from the Complete U2. Don't get me wrong, while "A man and a Woman", "One Step Closer" & "Yahweh" are good songs, they don't exactly make me want to jump and scream. I was hoping they unleash "Lemon", "Zooropa" or even maybe "Discotheque" again. In the meantime, take these shoes and make'm fit; its all we got.

Last edited:
Those who think ABOY is filler - I'd like them to try and listen to the album without it. Apart from Vertigo it's the only fast, rocking song, and the album really needs it. As great as the album is it would be missing something without this song a lot more than it would without, say, Original of the Species or Crumbs from Your Table (good songs, but not all that integral to the whole). I agree the chorus isn't exactly great, but I think the intro is the best on the album, it's the only time Edge does a proper rock solo (and a nice one, too), and the it's got the heaviest riff U2 have done in a while. I love it.

banapaulo said:
Those who think ABOY is filler - I'd like them to try and listen to the album without it. Apart from Vertigo it's the only fast, rocking song, and the album really needs it.

I've listened to the album many times without it. Not only did I not miss it, but I preferred it.

I'd rather have a "rocking" song less than an album with a mediocre rocking song just so we can say there's "rock" on there.

Rock isn't fast melodies, and a loud rhythm section. If it were, we should right now scrap people like Neil Young from the genre. What a loss that would be.

Ok, fair points.

But personally I don't think ABOY is just a rock song for the sake of it, I think it is a really good rock song. I just love the riff and the solo, the chorus is all that lets it down. Maybe the album could do without it, but personally I'm glad it's there.

this song and love And peace or else will be on those classic rock radio stations
very " original " music

and those lyrics ,
bono should try abc next time

Last edited:
WinnieThePoo said:
this song and love And peace or else will be on those classic rock radio stations
very " original " music

and those lyrics ,
bono should try abc next time

It's original for U2, I've never heard them sound like a 60's rock band before. And the lyrics are as heavy as I Will Follow.

It's not an "intentional filler", and U2 and their management have a lot of faith and respect for the song. But it doesn't do much for me. Feel sorry for Yanks who dont like it and have to put up with it as a single when they know there are better u2 songs out there that should be heard on radio.

I wouldve preferred Are You Gonna Wait Forever on the album and in the Track 6 position personally.

u2's management and marketing teams know what their doing.

ABOY rocks, Edge's guitar solo is the greatest.

intedomine said:
It's not an "intentional filler", and U2 and their management have a lot of faith and respect for the song. But it doesn't do much for me. Feel sorry for Yanks who dont like it and have to put up with it as a single when they know there are better u2 songs out there that should be heard on radio.

I wouldve preferred Are You Gonna Wait Forever on the album and in the Track 6 position personally.

What!?? AYGWF? is the epitome of filler, absolutely nothing about that song stands out! ABOY has some superb elements to it.

Oh come on...stop bashing songs just because they rock. ABOY is beautiful. And the lyrics are definitely very sincere and upfront and clever. The "some ppl got high rises on their backs" line is a great line. All you ABOY haters, come concert time you will singing your throats out!

I really like the live version they did at MTV Jammed and I think it is actually a very smart choice as a single release and falls right into plan with my release grid...

1. Vertigo
2. All Because Of You
3. Sometimes You Cant Make It On Your Own
4. City of Blinding Lights
5. Original Of The Species

malhithearnaz said:
Oh come on...stop bashing songs just because they rock. ABOY is beautiful. And the lyrics are definitely very sincere and upfront and clever. The "some ppl got high rises on their backs" line is a great line. All you ABOY haters, come concert time you will singing your throats out!

Well said laddie!

Back
Top Bottom