What's the problem with Last Night On Earth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madonna's child

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
i like LNOE, it's one of my faves on the album.

------------------
)|( Vande )|(

"Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused. It's not
something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude." -Adam

"And I wear grey underwear." -Bono

Everyday can be a beautiful day. Don't let it get away.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

It?s cold outside, but brightly lit...

I really like LNOE, However, Gone is my favorite song of the album, possibly my favorite U2 song. I think it would have made an excellent single!!

I love driving in my car, and screaming along to it "I'm not coming down!!" I am sure that other people would like to do that too
smile.gif
Even non u2 fanatics!!

Personally, I hope that the people who say "____ would've been a better single and/or got more radio airplay" are not the same people who say "U2 are getting too commercial/U2 should not play the superbowl/U2 are only in it for the money nowadays".

I hope not. I hate hypocrites.

------------------
I don't know you, and you don't know the half of it.

great song.
perhaps the others, which i will agree are better, were 'kept' by the band for the fans. it's unlikely but who knows.

------------------
there are only 2 universal languages: mathematics and love

Originally posted by RufusYoungblood:
Personally, I hope that the people who say "____ would've been a better single and/or got more radio airplay" are not the same people who say "U2 are getting too commercial/U2 should not play the superbowl/U2 are only in it for the money nowadays".

I hope not. I hate hypocrites.

That's a pretty weak connection you're trying to make there Rufus. But hey, I think there could have been better POP singles and I love seeing U2 all over the place right now, so I guess I don't fall into that category.

By the way, does anyone else scream the Edge backing vocals to Gone? DOOOOOOOOWN!
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Dustybot (edited 01-16-2002).]

If I recall correctly, the argument regarding LNOE is that dance music is supposed to be euphoric, and that the lyrics of the song were in direct contrast to that ideal. Therefore, when U2 incorporated more dance elements into Pop, some critics believed they were missing the entire point about dance music, and they used LNOE to emphasize their point. Middle-of-the-road radio wasn?t ready, and I believe still isn?t ready, for such a bold mix of dance and rock from such a massive band. That?s a shame, because Pop is truly an underrated album, and LNOE is one of U2?s Top 30 songs in my opinion. I think that?s also why ATYCLB turned out the way it did.

I absolutely love LNOE...it's one of my favorites. I was drawn to that song instantly when i first heard 'Pop'. Yes, perhaps there were one or two other songs off that album that might have made better singles; still, that doesn't discredit LNOE from being an amazing song in it's own right.

I don't particularly care for the song. My favorite part is the "slip sliding" part in the middle, but the rest of the song i think is kind of weak for a U2 song--not to mention a single. There is no real hook to the song, IMO. I really felt as soon as they released it as a single that it wouldn't garner much airplay.

------------------
Live As If You'll Die Tomorrow, Dream As If You'll Live Forever

I love this song. But it seems like every time the "what did they do wrong during Pop" topic comes up, a common response is that they should never have released Last Night On Earth as a single, or that it should never have been on the album at all.

Why?

I love the song! It gets me all pumped up. I think that was just a period where no matter what U2 did, they were wrong in the eyes of many people. I personally thought it made a great single, even though it was never played on the radio.

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

I think Last Night On Earth is an excellent song, one that gets the blood pumping, but I do think there were better choices for singles from POP. Do You Feel Loved and Gone I think would have both gotten much more radio play.

Well... I'm one of those who has that common response... my answer is, well it's a good song, but I just prefer most of the songs on the album over it... most particularly Gone, which I think would have done much better with the public too

Originally posted by bullet the blue sky:
the problem is the video is utterly rubbish
true, the song is very good though
one of my friends became a U2 fan because of this song

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I love the tune & the video. I like the single & the live version better than the POP version. The 2nd guitar rocks more at the end. I also like the way the song quotes George Harrison in a really cool way....sun, sun here it comes...

that song rocks!!!! Especially live! Very explosive - the ending jam where the band just go completely off the charts just fucking rocked the entire stadium!!!

the video i thought was pretty cool too. Your right in saying even though its a great song, not sure if it was radio-friendly! I thought Playboy Mansion had great single potential!

Last night on earth is a great song, I really don't think they done anything wrong when they made pop its an excellent album and I listen to it more than I listen to my ricky martin cd...so it isn't that bad!
biggrin.gif

Is Ricky Martin still alive ?

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

Originally posted by PrincessBadgirl:
No he had an accident involving his bon bons...too much shaking
nonsense

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Salome:
Originally posted by PrincessBadgirl:
No he had an accident involving his bon bons...too much shaking
nonsense

It's true! He was on stage and just shaking all he could shake and shook himself right off stage onto his...well the rest is tragic.

beats me!
confused.gif
....great song!

------------------
' I want to run
I want to hide
I want to tear down the walls
That hold me inside
I want to reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name. . .'
.:. U2: Rock's Unbreakable Heart!

I think they could have chosen a better single. Gone or DO YOU FEEL LOVED. But, truthfully it was the DISCOTHEQUE video that really hurt the album. It gave non-fans the wrong idea about the album.

Back
Top Bottom