What's the problem with Last Night On Earth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think U2 picked certain singles, such as "Last night on Earth", that they knew they could play live.

And believe it or not, "Discotheque" is a great song and a great single - it was just bad timing. Not many bands can make a tune like "Discotheque" - mixing dance and rock in a space funk masterpiece. I will always love this song.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

I think Discotheque is a great song, but a bad choice as a first single. The song (and video) gave people the wrong impression of POP. A song like Staring At the Sun would have been a better lead-off track, since I think it reflects the mood of the album better, and it's somewhat vintage U2 sounding (and let's face it, 80% of mainstream music fans want to hear U2 remake The Joshua Tree for the rest of eternity).

Originally posted by ultraviolet353:
But, truthfully it was the DISCOTHEQUE video that really hurt the album. It gave non-fans the wrong idea about the album.

No kidding. It also gave long time fans (me) the wrong impression. In fact, when U2 came to memphis on the popmart tour, I refused to go. At the time, I saw the band as flying in the face of everything that made me fall in love with them.

The single selection from this album
is not at all what I would have selected (not that they should ask). I would never release Discotheque. I also think Staring at the Sun is a weak single. LNOE, Gone, and/or Feel Loved? are all solid candidates IMO. I also think Please was a strange choice, although I like the song and love the video.

Back
Top Bottom