What's the nuttiest thing you've done for U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seabird said:
I snuck into sound check :reject: I was with a friend my age, and we are as old as the band LOL! She found an open door and we went right in! We saw Dallas and the others fixing up the instruments! She wanted to stay and run out when the band came in to practice. I went out and she let me back in. Then she went out. My son and I and a a girl who had followed us got busted and they tried to take our tickets away! The kids froze and almost gave us away, but I lied and said I didn't have tickets yet. I told them it was not our fault if some employee left the door open. They let us go. Later on the way into the GA I was coming down the steps and saw the same guard, and I was petrified. I thought he'd recognize me and take my tickets! I put my head down, but as I ran past he yelled out 'hey!" I stopped and turned around. He smiled and said "you're lucky to be here you know" I smiled with relief and said thanks, and ran onto the floor. It was a wonderul night and I'd have hated to have missed it. I will never do that again! Funny thing is, I wouldn't have done that when I was young, I'd have been too chicken. What a crazy old bitch I've become, and crazy for U2! (I've been a fan since 1981)

I would be scared to if that happened and if he questioned me, I would've said that I bought the tickets from a scalper 'cause I really wanted to see the show.

U2dork said:
I would also like to say that type of behaviour di_g and Bono's Tart described is just wrong. I think these people are really lacking something in their lives and they're trying to make up for it in an inappropriate way with the wrong people. It isn't enough for these people to settle with one meeting, something most fans will never have.

If listening to U2 makes these people look forward to something in life than by all means, let them do their thing. Life is shitty, reality is shitty and if you can take a joy and escape by revolving your world around a band, if it makes you feel good...go for it.

I love U2, my world doesn't revolve around them but think nothing about those who do. Each to their own.

I agree that people want more out of u2. I was lucky to meet them by chance and I am content with that. If I never met U2, I would be content with that as well. Once is enough.

di_g said:

so true, thank you. this only happened few months ago, and it really called into question how far i would take my "obsession" of U2.
before that night i had had plans to go see bonos house (mainly for the gates which apparently are amazing) but after that i stopped and thought to myself thats the mans house, thats where his wife adn his children live. what right do i have to go stand outside it?
i would still like to see it and go though, and i'm sure a lot of people have and thats ok (i dont want to offend anyone here!) but as i say, these guys kinda put me off and drew a very firm line slightly further back than maybe it needs to be, on what i will and wont do to see them.

if i ever get like that, i know its too far!

Fan obsession scares me. There are fans that GO TOO FAR and that makes me feel uncomfortable. I am content with just listening to the music. I love Larry Mullen JR but I would never seek out his house, obsess over his sweaty towel, stalk his hotel room etc. There are some nut cases out there sadly.

di_g said:

oops. having had a rant about the stalker people i feel i need to clarify this!:huh:

when i climbed into the window at their hotel, the band were NOT there at the time. a friend of mine was part of their security and when they had gone out for the day, he snuck me in to have a look at the hotel as its one of the fanciest and nicest in the city. there was no way in and iceskaters chance in a frozen over hell i would have been able to get through the front door and i really wanted to see while i could hence the window!

so just to point out i did not DID NOT get in so that i could run around looking for the band or go knocking on bonos door or anything like that!

glad thats cleared up:)

You're obsession still frightens me. Just the fact that someone let you in to see the room period. You didn't steal the towels from the hotel room did you?

U2Kitten said:
I ran myself deeply in debt buying tickets from online brokers and traveling and staying in hotels during the Elevation tour. :tsk: I literally spent money I did not have and was not able to pay back. I am still debating whether the fun I had can cancel out the pain, stress, worry and hardship I've had over my credit cards.

I did the same thing for David Bowie so I know where you're coming from. I am still paying back the credit cards but it was also a vacation for me that I needed to take.

This is not the nuttiest thing but I skipped a family function to see the Elevation show. The ticket was bought by my then friend for my birthday.

di_g said:

ok that was totally the time i was there! thats so weird!
but as i say i was only there for maybe 20 minutes or so if even that and it was on the friday afternoon, what was that the 28th actually so we must have just missed you. and it was probably the same fans too considering they had been there every day for 3 weeks. i didnt meet matt from birmingham though, but i'm sure he was nicer than the others. And besides i got my semi-fix of them - Bono, Larry and Adam all drove past me when i was walking up there and that was way more than i expected to see, i really just wanted to see the studios which at the end of the day were a big grey wall!

to be honest when i saw the news that that night they had decided to go down dame street in a horse drawn carriage i was a bit disappointed i didnt stick around to see them come out of the studio and "board" their carriage! but had a wicked night anyway - ended up going out drinking with one of the actors from the tv show Scrubs - sure he's not U2 but he was brilliant and it was a night to remember anyway!

Thank god for that!! Phew!!

We all left on the Wednesday evening after a fab 20/25 minutes with Bono and Edge in the afternoon!!
Matt was only there for the day on the Wednesday he's as crazy as us!!

Bought tickets for an a lot of money three days before the Halloween show. Skipped two days of classes. Drove all night (12hours) with one of my best friends to Providence, R.I. Got directly in the GA line at 5 am when we arrived. Did not sleep until after the show, got up the next day and drove 12 hours back. Got back around midnight, proceeded to stay up until 8 am when I had an chemistry test! Which by the way I got an A on, no idea how I did that. Excellent show and well worth it.

isabelle_guns said:

You're obsession still frightens me. Just the fact that someone let you in to see the room period. You didn't steal the towels from the hotel room did you?

not their room silly! :lol:

god no, i would never do that.
but i was really young and impressionable (weren't we all once) and you do not understand how unbelievably cool this hotel is - even now, slightly older and wiser i like to think, i would never dream of setting a foot in the front door! hell, i wouldnt even get through the gates without security stopping me, it one of those!

while the fact that U2 were staying there at the time made it all the cooler and was effectively how i got in, it wasnt the only reason i was there.
now if i snuck into bonos room, that would be obsessive and a bit weird:coocoo:

Kariann said:
The nuttiest thing for me would be kneeling and bowing in front of the Bad lyrics at the HOF exibit. I had said I would do and I did. :shifty:

I'm sure there could be a number of things I could add to this thread in the future. :D

I didn't kneel & bow - but I couldn't stay away from the Bad lyrics! :D

Which leads me to the nuttiest thing I did. My friend U2luv & I traveled from the Boston area to Cleveland with our kids (she has 2, I have 3) to visit the HOF exibit last summer.

Imagine 2 days of driving each way with 5 kids! (Are we there yet?)

Of course, we also took them to Six Flags. It was a fun vacation!

U2Kitten said:
I ran myself deeply in debt buying tickets from online brokers and traveling and staying in hotels during the Elevation tour. :tsk: I literally spent money I did not have and was not able to pay back. I am still debating whether the fun I had can cancel out the pain, stress, worry and hardship I've had over my credit cards.

:( I bought tickets to the Dallas concert in November 2001 and almost flew down to see it with my 2 older kids (then 10 & 9). The plane tickets went up just a bit more and made the whole trip seem so expensive. Even though my husband said "go ahead", I somehow thought our marriage would suffer if I splurged. An internet friend that I was going to visit went and sold the other tickets for me.

:hmm: Since my marriage ended anyhow - perhaps I should have just done it.

u2ulysses said:

I met Edge once outside a hotel. Some friends said I was "stalking". I didn't feel that way at the time, but it is true - it's stalking. Edge was kind enough to meet us though.

I had a chance years later to meet the band again outside their hotel, but I recalled that feeling of stalking. It was getting late and I had better things to do - so I left. Others I know said I should have waited as I could have met Bono and such. While I would love that opportunity, that feeling of "stalking" the band never left me.

I don't think you were stalking. I think the repeated vigils over and over become stalking.

I went in to Boston to hear Bono speak at the "One" Rally in July. It turned out to be a private affair, and a small group of fans hung out until it was over to see if we could see/meet him. On one hand, it was really fun to talk to U2 fans. A couple of fans said it felt like being in a GA line again. On the other hand, I felt uncomfortable hanging out. I'm not sure if my uncomfort was that "stalking" feeling you are describing in general or because Bono wasn't with U2 at the time and it seemed even more inappropriate.

If you aren't in their space and they have the option to greet you or not - it seems like hanging outside their hotel or outside the venue or even outside the studio is the greatest chance to meet them - is that stalking? I don't think so, but I'm not sure I'll be comfortable either.

We did see him drive by at the end and he waved to us. For a good day, I was so bummed out that we didn't get to hear him speak. It took a bit to shake the disappointment.

Oh, and I have to point out that in Bill Flanagan's "U2 at the End of the World" - he always mentions the fans waiting as kids. I got a kick out of that.

Last edited:
luvsU2 said:
Bought tickets for an a lot of money three days before the Halloween show. Skipped two days of classes. Drove all night (12hours) with one of my best friends to Providence, R.I. Got directly in the GA line at 5 am when we arrived. Did not sleep until after the show, got up the next day and drove 12 hours back. Got back around midnight, proceeded to stay up until 8 am when I had an chemistry test! Which by the way I got an A on, no idea how I did that. Excellent show and well worth it.

Haha, I went to the Providence show the day before yours! I spent way too much money on tix... But it was great, wasn't it?! Hey, you were there for Larry's b-day....that's pretty neat.

Back
Top Bottom